High BP and Protein in Urine - when will they do anything?!

dizzyjoo

Reaction score
Hi all

At every appointment I've had since about 24 weeks my BP has been high - although not dangerously high - and I've had what they call "trace" amounts of protein in my pee. Two appnts showed a +1 of protein in my pee - once a month or so ago and once last week. Not sure what the +1 means?!?

So at my appnt last Weds she instructed me to have weekly check ups for BP and urine - yet to go this week, I'm going on Friday.

My BP has been around 130-150 on top. And then 80-95 on the bottom. My most recent was 145/93 with the +1 of protein in my urine.

Over the last few months I've also had 2 sets of blood tests and both came back negative for pre-eclampsia.

I'm having headaches - but they are at the back of my head / top of my neck which they say are commonly stress headaches. Its when you get headaches in your eyes, front of your head that they worry. So they are not worried about that.

My feet and ankles have been puffy at the end of the day - so they're not worried about that either.

I do feel sure its not pre-eclampsia, (its my 2nd baby and I didn't have it with my 1st so they said it would be really unusual to get it with this one), but what could it be?

And when will they do something and what?!?!

Its driving me a bit potty that's all :(

xxx

heya hun i have had similar......

unless your BP sky rockets out of abnormal for you ranges they shouldn't panic....

mine is usally 140/70 it hit 145/60 and they freaked out and had me on the day unit for monitoring and twice weekly visits.....

my bloods are also clear but protein can arise in my urine, generally if i do not eat....

at the moment Harvey and I are both suffering with high BP, Harvey's heartbeat is raised and I too have protein in the urine.

My lil man is in distress at the moment but they will not intevene unless they HAVE TOO!

I will be monitoured in a few days time to check the HB again, but they will keep him in there for as long as they can, and they will do the same for you lovely!

Midwives will keep an eye on you my love. Any concerns, heard to ADAU or Labour Ward xx

Hey Hun
With my last pregnancy I had elevated blood pressure from around 30 weeks.... It was around 140/90.... So they put me on blood pressure meds.

I also started having swelling of hands and feet at this time. My urine showed trace amounts of protein too.

Anyway, at 36 weeks I had severe headaches.... The swelling became extreme and my blood pressure shot through the roof and ended up being 190-200/140 at one point :wacko: high levels of protein was found in my urine
My reflexes were brisk, and they said I was close to having a seizure.

I was hospitalised immediately and put on a cocktail of drugs...
Baby was induced immediately, she was well enough considering the cocktail of drugs we'd both been given.

I was in intensive care for a few days after the birth, and then kept in hospital for another week as my blood pressure wouldn't come down and my reflexes were still hyperactive.

But anyway my point is, look out for headaches.... It's almost like a tension headache at the front of your head, radiating to your temples. Keep an eye on your swelling.... If it blows up suddenly from what you're used to, then call or go to the hospital immediately.
Other symptoms are visual disturbances, flashing lights, feeling generally unwell and upper rib pain.... But I didn't have any of these.

They will induce if it becomes dangerous for you and your baby to continue with the pregnancy, but they have to balance that out with you having baby early.

Hth :flower:

Hi all

At every appointment I've had since about 24 weeks my BP has been high - although not dangerously high - and I've had what they call "trace" amounts of protein in my pee. Two appnts showed a +1 of protein in my pee - once a month or so ago and once last week. Not sure what the +1 means?!?

So at my appnt last Weds she instructed me to have weekly check ups for BP and urine - yet to go this week, I'm going on Friday.

My BP has been around 130-150 on top. And then 80-95 on the bottom. My most recent was 145/93 with the +1 of protein in my urine.

Over the last few months I've also had 2 sets of blood tests and both came back negative for pre-eclampsia.

I'm having headaches - but they are at the back of my head / top of my neck which they say are commonly stress headaches. Its when you get headaches in your eyes, front of your head that they worry. So they are not worried about that.

My feet and ankles have been puffy at the end of the day - so they're not worried about that either.

I do feel sure its not pre-eclampsia, (its my 2nd baby and I didn't have it with my 1st so they said it would be really unusual to get it with this one), but what could it be?

And when will they do something and what?!?!

Its driving me a bit potty that's all :(

xxx

Is your bp done digitally o manually? I had +1 protien in my urine and my bp on the machine was 133/90 and I'm usally anywhere betweene 90/60 to 110/70. She rechecked it manually and was 93/70 maybe get them to check it manually xx

i had pre-eclampsia with my first and deliverd early at 34 weeks, my guess is there is little point starting you on meds for high blood pressure as you almost full term, really 1 + of protein is a small amount and can be linked to many things it is 2 or 3 pluses that they will worry about. i never had any other sign except swelling, high blood pressure and protein and that was enough to be considered serious so if at any point your not happy dont wait for another symptom go with gut feeling and ask to see midwife as better safe than sorry. i am being monitored twice a week at the moment and blood pressure changes from high to very high but always in the normal range. take care and act quick even if u see small changes xxx

hey hun. that bp is relatively normal for most people and especially in pregnancy when you have a higher volume of blood it is common for it to rise abit. most healthcare professionals wont worry until it gets to the 170 to 180 mark on top (systolic)or over 100 on bottom (diastolic) unless this is something very different to your own usual blood pressure as everyones varies. BP is generally around 120/70 but can vary due to how active you've been that day, any illness and very commonly when you're pregnant.
also in lancs PCT the urine dipsticks go up to 5+ on protein (dont know if this will vary in other areas) so 1+ is a very slight amount, as you said a trace, generally not worrying but something to be kept an eye on.
unfortunately unless things change i think they'll just keep monitoring you to ensure you and baby are healthy. hope everything goes well xxx

I was and am still having the same issue. My blood pressure has been up since about 20 weeks. They changed my due date so now I am almost 37 weeks (will be tomorrow) and they just diagnosed me with pre-eclampsia last week. I have been doing 24 urine tests about twice a week. My first one came back with 700 protein, my second was 651 so they finally sent me home from the hospital. I start another test tomorrow, which is also my birthday & 37 week mark. So, I will have made it to their goal of keeping her in til 37 weeks. I hope they take her out soon...because pre-eclampsia is VERY scary & I first tested negative for it as well, it just finally came on after about 16 weeks of waiting. Just try and stay calm. If you start seeing spots, flashing lights, get dizzy or have blurry vision, please go to L&D! And, I know someone who had it with 1 pregnancy of her 4 pregnancies. So, just because you didn't have it the first one, doesn't mean you won't with this one. Just please keep a close eye on yourself and make sure you do your kick counts! Good luck!!!

hey hun. that bp is relatively normal for most people and especially in pregnancy when you have a higher volume of blood it is common for it to rise abit. most healthcare professionals wont worry until it gets to the 170 to 180 mark on top (systolic)or over 100 on bottom (diastolic) unless this is something very different to your own usual blood pressure as everyones varies. BP is generally around 120/70 but can vary due to how active you've been that day, any illness and very commonly when you're pregnant.
also in lancs PCT the urine dipsticks go up to 5+ on protein (dont know if this will vary in other areas) so 1+ is a very slight amount, as you said a trace, generally not worrying but something to be kept an eye on.
unfortunately unless things change i think they'll just keep monitoring you to ensure you and baby are healthy. hope everything goes well xxx

The practice I go to starts monitoring you if your systolic is above 150, and your diastolic is above 85.

Hey ladies, just updating for someone who might be in the same situation so I have hbp with this pregnancy and I'm currently 26wks I went in for regular visit last week my bp was slightly elevated 150/99 and there was +1 protein in urine so I did a 24 hour urine teSt and I got the results back today and is was a normal 180 so doc. Said everything was fine for now...... I had a slight uti which can cause protein in urine and very dehydrated so nurses say that can have affect as we'll for a week I've been worried but I'll keep you updated and just hope everything stays good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->