High Risk Pregnancy - Thyroid, Home Birth & IMs!

Rachie004

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I'm sorry to be crashing into here but I have a few questions. I realise that I'm getting ahead of myself as we're not TTC for a few months yet (ticker is latest date)! I've always had a very fixed idea of how I have wanted to give birth; home birth, birthing pool, hypnobirthing and an independent midwife.

I have an underactive thyroid gland which is undermedicated atm (waiting for levels to be stable so we can TTC), I asked my GP at my last appointment what impact it would have on pregnancy and he said (amongst other things) that I was automatically be considered high risk during pregnancy and that I would need consultant led care :cry: Does anyone have any experience of being high risk and was able to have a home birth? I realise there are varying degrees of being high risk - I think I would be considered high risk because my levels would need extra monitoring rather than it being something as serious as say pre-eclampsia.

I'm also completely in love with the idea of using an Independent Midwife and having that continuity of care throughout my pregnancy. I've picked up on there being an issue about Independent Midwives possibly being outlawed and I'm horrified! From a selfish point of view, I'm wondering if hopefully they are allowed to continue to practice, would I be able to have joint care with the IM alongside the consultant, what happens when it comes to giving birth etc?

I realise it may be a unique question but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of something similiar?

Thanks in advance xxx

I don't use facebook but thank you for taking the time to reply :) I'll have a search around the internet for other ways in which I could perhaps join the fight xx

In that case, here's a good place to start: https://www.independentmidwives.org.uk/

A consultant can only advise they are not there to approve or disapprove of a home birth or not, from my understanding it would be completely possible to have shared care between an NHS consultant and an independent midwife-most women who are under a consultant don't purely see the consultant and will always have some midwife appointments anyway. Independent midwives are more likely to be ok with purportedly high risk home births as well, unlike many of the NHS ones xx

Thank you for the link Manda :)

Summer rain - thank you SO much, that really sets my mind at ease :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"