High temp won't come down

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
I have had this awful cold/virus thing since Sunday night, literally everyone in the house has had it and seems to be recovering but aside from getting my appetite back, I'm not. My temp won't come down. It's been normal once since then but has stayed between 38-38.8 otherwise. I suspect ear infection, possibly chest infection but I have antibiotics on standby just in case it gets worse for those. I was advised by the paramedic from my doctor's surgery who called me back to take ibuprofen to help with any inflammation, and I'm taking paracetamol. But it still won't come down!
I know not to put cold flannels on my head or whatever because this increases temperature by cooling you down too fast, I know not to go over the top with layers, the window is open so we have some cool air coming in, I have got as much rest as I can get, I'm drinking water although not as much as I should, but what else can I do and should I worry? We have had so many losses so far, I don't know what I will do if something happens to this one over a stupid virus of all stupid things

I would probably go for the antibiotics (are they pregnancy safe?) if you’ve tried all you can. Try and drink a little more if possible! Sometimes you just have to go for the antibiotics if it’ll help clear it quicker and begin to bring down the temp xx

Yeah they are - I'm allergic to penicillin so they usually prescribe me erithromycin which is what they gave me for a chest infection when pregnant with DD. I just hate taking them because I'd rather fight it off on my own if I can, but this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I think I will see what my temp is like tomorrow and if it's still high I don't think I will have much choice. It's just if it is completely viral, they won't have any effect

I would probably go for the antibiotics...5 days is a pretty long time to have a fever. Have you tried eating popsicles?

I eat ice cream each evening because I like the freezing cold lol
Taken first lot of antibiotics earlier, can't do this anymore

Im so sorry you are feeling so ill! That must be so awful :(
I would advise against eating icecream with a cold rn. The dairy thickens your mucus and the sugar lowers your immune system.
I get terrible chest congestion and coughs in the winter every year and something that really helps is this strong lemon tea my grandma taught me to make. I swear it takes 3 days and boom, I'm on the mend.
If you can get your hands on some fresh lemons, go ahead and freeze them. Then tonight grate them with a cheese grater and add them to warm water and a dash of honey to make a lemon tea. Make sure to grate the rind, as that is the part that has the most antioxidants in it. you want to consume all flecks of the grated lemon.
I know it sounds hippie like, but it really really helps. Drink like 3-5 cups of that "tea" a day.

Glad you started the antobiotics! Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon. :)

Thanks Dreamer, I knew dairy thickens mucus (I know, silly I eat it anyway) but I don't know sugar lowering immune system. The tea sounds good, I will try it! Thanks :)

Saving that lemon and honey tea to remember for next time I’m feeling poorly! Sounds like a good idea!

Hope you feel better soon cupcake xx

Let me know how you like it!
I honestly just love the taste and freezing fresh lemons makes them last weeks instead of days! :)

Hope you are feeling better soon, Cupcake! and hope it comes in handy for you whenever you need it BrightEyes!

I haven't thought about freezing them before

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->