Hips still sore 7 months after birth?

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
When I was pregnant, I found that my hips were always very sore after a night's sleep because of my new weight pressing on them when I slept on my side. I'm lighter now that I was pre-preg and my hips are still just as sore at night and for the first few hours after I wake up. Has anyone else experienced this? I was hoping it'd stop after the birth, I always sleep on my side!

This will be of no help to you as i only gave birth three weeks ago but i just wanted to say "me too" :hugs:

i got sore hips top when i was preggers and after i had shaya it was fine for the first few weeks but know they are startin to hurt now when im walkin around they are killin me :( i dunno what it is but if you find out let me know xxxx

it may be SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction)
I had it from 3 months pregnant and have it still, very severe and my son is 18 months old. Please dont take for granted that it will heal on its own. My pelvis was completely twisted and now I am having further tests to see if I need anything drastic (like surgery) done and if I am able to carry any more children. I am only 26 but walk very slowly like im 60-odd. Please see your physio about this before it gets worse. Dont mean to scare you but I want to help. Im in chronic pain every minute and need painkillers every day just to function.
Good luck :)

I had mixed advice when I was pg about whether I had SPD, GP said I had it, consultant said I didn't because I should have had sharp shooting pains in the middle of the pelvis. I had hip pain and pain in the groin type area where the tops of the legs move - not sure if this counts?

I had LO in a sling today and my hips were really sore after a few hours, almost felt like I was pg again. I was also told it would go after pregnancy :wacko:

How were you diagnosed Tales?

What you have described to me sounds exactly like SPD. The top of my legs/groin ache constantly. There are different severities of it, not everyone would necessarily get shooting pains in their pelvis surely. Im not a doctor but I am an expert on this condition, Ive lived with it for 2 years now and I know that if someone hasn't been through it themselves they have no idea how it feels or what to look for.
Unfortunately I do not know of a cure. Physio may help you, have you tried? People tell me to try Chiro but Im too afraid. If the thought makes me feel nauseous I know to stay away!
I was diagnosed by my physio coz I guess I fit all the symptoms: Couldn't roll in bed, couldn't lift 1 leg higher than the other etc although I could touch my toes after pregnancy with much more ease than I could when I was a dancer 10 years ago! Go figure! I have too much relaxin in my system!
By the time I went to physio at 6 months pregnant I had left it too long and the worst of the damage was done, she said. I wore a belt which helped a lot and it became almost a security blanket for me.
I told my obst and midwife about my condition but wasn't taken too seriously (not many people will) so when I gave birth I had 2 people pushing against each leg and me pushing against them (all that pressure meeting at my pelvis) and I'd had an epidural so I had no idea of the damage I was doing. Plus I just wanted to get my little boy out as quickly as possible as his heart rate had gone a little erratic and I was frightened.
I continued to wear my brace after that and only went back to physio a few times (its hard with a new baby as you know).
By the time I finally went back about 4 months ago the physio said that my pelvis was the worst she'd seen, that it was twisted. She manipulated it back, which is evident from x-rays, but the pain is still there every minute of the day... :( thats why I am going to see a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks to see if its something more severe.
I have no idea and my physio has exhausted all she knows to do. I followed the excerises until one of them pinched a nerve and I had to stop :/
I have a very high pain tolerance so I rarely complain, but I do take pain killers every day for it, like I said I cant function unless I do.
I carry my son around a lot which I know doesnt help, the same with your sling I guess, but what are we to do? We still have to keep living and being Mums! My son is 18 months old and only 10 kilos so I guess im lucky hes not too big!
Im not sure I helped, but I hope I shed some light on your condition.
I hope you find the right help for you :)

Thanks Tales :hugs: I had been brushed off so many times I honestly thought I was just moaning too much about pregnancy aches and pains so kept quiet! I found that if I went for any kind of walk, even around the block from about 5 months on, I literally couldn't move for the rest of the day without being in severe pain. All dull ache rather than sharp pain but very strong. Again I was told that the belt wouldn't work anyway if it wasn't SPD so not to bother :wacko:

I don't think mine is anywhere near as severe as yours, I can roll over in bed and raise legs etc I'm just surprised to still have pain at the top of my legs and in my hips, I thought that had ended a while back but I guess not. I don't think mine is bad enough to go to physio, at least not yet but I'll keep an eye on it, don't want to do any lasting damage. I was convinced I had SPD and was conscious of the dangers of stretching things too far during labour - I was lucky to be able to do labour and delivery on all fours which hopefully minimised any damage.

Really hope your pain starts easing soon :hugs:

Thank you, what you have really does sound like SPD to me and I hope you also find some relief.
Good luck and please remember that no one knows what you are feeling, it is not normal to be in that kind of pain. I wish you well and your little girl looks like such a doll, congratulations! They are worth everything we go through to have them! :flower:

Your pelvis takes months to firm up again after pregnancy and labour, longer if you are BF too. It's normal to still be feeling this way at 7 months. It was about 8 months before I began to feel more like my old self but even a year on and I still get twinges in my pelvis. I had a thing where when lying on my left side if there were any lumps in my mattress (there are many!) or creases in my nightwear then my thigh would tingle inside and go numb down the outside and this still happens. I can't quite believe just how many things pregnancy related are still wrong with me!

I'm in quite a bit of pain at the moment after going Christmas shopping yesterday. I don't think it'd bother me as much if I hadn't read that it'd all magically disappear as soon as the baby was born! :dohh:

Any home remedies that help? I don't want to pop painkillers but wondering if fish oil or something would help?

Im so sorry, I do not know of any home remedies for you.
Have you tried heat packs? This relieves sometimes for me.
As for fish oil, I have heard something about it but havent really looked into it.
Yes be careful of pain killers, you can rely on them too much like I do if you're not careful.
I think you should try a belt, at least when you are walking around shops etc. Not an every day thing tho as I think the muscles start relying on that too and become weaker if you know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->