Hit the nesting phase just in time to be too exhausted to nest!

tulip1975

Reaction score
I thought nesting was a burst of energy thing, but mine started about 2 or 3 weeks ago (31-32 weeks), and it's more just a full-on panic. The trouble is, I feel terrible most days and it's really difficult to keep up with everything that already needs to be maintained, much less make room for baby. Yet, no matter how exhausted or swollen I am, I keep plodding along and washing hand-me-down baby clothes and shower gifts, etc., etc. I'm just SO slow at it. I feel like I'll never be ready for baby.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi there,
Didn't want to read and run. I don't have quite the same issue because my DH works from home and takes care of a good share of the day to day chores (although not as thorough as I would, he tries). I sleep pretty poorly so I am tired pretty much all the time.

I have a list that I keep adding to, with no end in sight. We are traveling this week and my family is throwing me a shower. We have no newborn clothes, just a couple 9 month onesies and a Halloween costume I bought on sale last year. One pack of diapers, a crib missing parts, and a high chair. Oh, and our stroller/car seat arrived last week. When we get back from our trip we will be in overdrive getting things set up. I've been stalking my registry with fear that no one will get the most useful items, which is ridiculous because we can provide these things on our own, but I was pressured to wait because "everyone wants to get us things". Maybe they worry we have to transport things 700 miles in our big car? So, I will be all over Amazon within a week and then stalking package tracking.

I think I'm actually getting more anxious writing this! Ah, babies don't need much at the start. It's nice to feel prepared but the baby will do his/her best to make us feel inadequate I'm sure, no matter what is washed or laid out or planned.

Is there any possibility of getting some help? I've been thinking of hiring a cleaning service to come in and do a deep clean (windowsills, ceiling fans, weird things like that). There are laundry drop offs that may be able to just tackle your clothes and get that off your mind to free you up for other things (or rest).

I spend about 15-20 mins most evenings trying to get one or two things done on my list (regular things like clean sinks, toss in a load of wash, or fold a load) so I don't feel like I am sliding backward. I try to prioritize by what is bothering me most and what can wait a week (vacuuming, usually). Some nights I just can't win and I stick to the couch. Most important for baby is for us to be healthy, right?

Your story sounds so much like mine. Waiting until the shower - I got tons of stuff but very little that was in my registry so now I'm buying all kinds of stuff online.

My energy level has picked up a little. I may have been struggling because I started working from home in mid-January and it was a huge transition. But now I'm working from home in the mornings and an office in the afternoons. And I started taking iron, which has really helped.

I wouldn't say I'm too tired for it. But I definitely feel like I get tired easily from each thing I do. I feel like I have the burst of energy, because instead of wanting to rest, I want to clean. But then I'll do one thing and need to sit. I definitely feel like I could be moving much faster. But then after each day, I seem to be getting tons of stuff accomplished. So, I guess it's not that slow afterall.

I just had my shower and got everything that I needed. Now I am too tired to do anything. Poor hubby has done most of the big stuff while I did the laundry. I feel as though I am falling asleep on my feet or I get very small bursts of energy.

Tulip, I'm with you! My actual energy is ok most of the time, but between hip pain and sore feet and ligament pain, I can't do much anymore. It's an accomplishment if I run one errand and do a load of laundry. My nesting has consisted of making LOTS of lists, doing online shopping/research, and sitting in the nursery with my feet up while bossing my husband around to get done the things on my lists. :)

I feel bad making hubby do all of the dirty work, but as he reminds me, I'm doing a very important job here also.

Get lots of help and take it easy. You'll be extraordinarily busy soon enough!

By the way, your profile picture makes me happy. I hope you update it later to be 2 cats + a baby.

Tulip, I'm with you! My actual energy is ok most of the time, but between hip pain and sore feet and ligament pain, I can't do much anymore. It's an accomplishment if I run one errand and do a load of laundry. My nesting has consisted of making LOTS of lists, doing online shopping/research, and sitting in the nursery with my feet up while bossing my husband around to get done the things on my lists. :)

I feel bad making hubby do all of the dirty work, but as he reminds me, I'm doing a very important job here also.

Get lots of help and take it easy. You'll be extraordinarily busy soon enough!

By the way, your profile picture makes me happy. I hope you update it later to be 2 cats + a baby.

They were so funny that day laying on a blanket on the couch - I thought it looked like they were sitting for a portrait!

I totally feel you. I have been in nesting mode for a while, but I had to massively overhaul our room to accommodate the baby, and the rest of the house is only partially done. It seriously feels endless, and by the time I am done with routine cleaning etc... I am exhausted and often sore. I still have to sew items for the baby too like crib sheets (due to irregular sizing) and it all seems like a massive task right now. I am watching youtube videos right now and hoping they will help motivate me, but so far it just looks like a ton of work lol.

I'm struggling with the nesting phase now as well. I really want to give the house a good clean and do a big chuck out of everything but between my pelvic and hip pain and bubs being wedged under my ribs making me short of breath I just can't do any of it. I'm keeping up with the basics just about and I feel guilty asking OH to do any more than he is already as he's been great at taking DS out lots at weekends to make up for me being rubbish in the week and cutting our playgroups down from 5 to 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->