Hives.

DebDeb85

Reaction score
It's been an awful 24 hours...
Yesterday, when I got to work, I noticed a few itchy red welts on my legs. Being in Texas, where giant mosquitoes abound, I assumed there were a couple in my car that bit me on my way in to the office. Later, after lunch, my upper lip suddenly began to swell, and I noticed more welts. Hives! I talked to my nurse at the OBGYN office and she said I could take Benadryl. It's now about 7:30am the next day and I have more hives and lip is still puffy. The Benadryl makes them less angry and puts me to sleep, but that's it. My right wrist is also very red and swollen. I'm miserable! Anybody else have something like this happen? I'm not allergic to anything that I know of...
Attaching a few pictures...
Thanks for any help, advice, or sympathy! ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
Right wrist

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6
Other knee

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi Deb,

I just posted about this in second tri - I've always had hives on and off, but pregnancy has made them flare up like crazy. Have you had them in the past?

You can treat them with anti-histamines but I've found the pregnancy - safe ones to be pretty ineffective. Cold water or ice can take away the irritation. They're really annoying, though.

I have this as well, it started around week 8 and I'm now 10 weeks, luckily for me it hasn't flared up as badly as my previous experiences. Mine only flares up at night and so far only spreads around my arms and legs so I haven't done anything to remedy it...I'm thinking that it doesn't flare up as badly bcos I get lots of rest.

Good luck with getting yours treated.

Hey ladies! Thank you for your replies! I actually went to the ER yesterday, at the request of my on call OBGYN, and they gave me a ton of Benadryl and some steroids. They said the type of steroids they're giving me shouldn't have any adverse affect on baby. It had gotten ridiculous- I tried to shower and just wash my hair, but that made my wrists, fingers, and hands swell up with dozen of hives. Terrible!
Anyway, the Benadryl and steroids have worked wonders and the hives are almost gone now. Doc gave me an epi pen to have on hand until I see an allergist. She thinks pregnancy may have caused me to develop some food allergies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->