Holding Doors Open

I do the same as most people have said really. I always hold the door open for anyone, I'll open the door for people with prams even if I'm not going through it myself if I can see they are trying to get through.

I always wait my turn in lifts too. Making sure I got in a lift first would feel like pushing in to me, I don't push in when theres a queue at a till, so I certainly wouldnt push into a queue at a lift either. xxx

I always hold doors for other people, and always say thank you if someone does it for me, and always let others sit down before I do. I don't think it should be a gender thing either. I think people are so RUDE these days and in such a hurry they never say thank you. I have gotten to the point where if someone doesn't say thank you I still say "you're welcome" and they look at me like "what the fuck?" and I just give them a really sarcastic smile. Manners have vanished. It's sad, really.

I always hold the door open for others. When people don't say thank you, I say real loud, "You're Welcome!" :lol:

I hold doors open for people no matter what sex they are and wait my turn if I was using a lift x

While I would imagine that transgendering might be very eye-opening as to public treatment/manners, I have to say that I am absolutely with the majority of posters on this thread. It is just manners plain and simple to hold a door open or wait your turn for entrances/exits. The only people I give exceptional treatment to are people who have an obvious impediment of some sort: a parent with tiny children, a pregnant woman, someone who is elderly and moving as though they are mobility-challenged, and someone who is mobility-challenged in an obvious way (wheelchair or crutches, etc). Those folks need extra consideration. It is not easy trying to get around in a world designed for able-bodied people. It's just basic manners to make sure that their needs are met first, for me. But otherwise, gender does not play a role.
And I am proud to say that my three-year old is very careful to say thank you to people who hold doors open for him! It doesn't have to be a dying social grace!!! We can fight for a courteous world! :haha:

LoL, I never hold doors for others, usually b/c I never look back to see if anyone is behind me. :haha:

since when has female etiquette meant that you can be rude ? I hold doors open for everyone and that usually means that I am propping the door open whilst holding onto a pushchair and struggling to control my 3yr old and 4 yr old. Also, I wouldn't dream of barging my way to the front of the queue for the lift - you wait your turn whether you are young, old, male, female or transgender.

In regards to lifts, is there is an elderly/disabled person or a woman with kids and a pushchair I'd always let them go first obviously. All other times it's just first come first serve to me. I always wait my turn.

I always hold doors open even though I don't get people doing it for me very often. The most annoying thing is when you hold a door open for one person.. and there a load more come out of nowhere and you're left holding the door for ages because no one wants to take over!

I hold doors open for people, wait my turn getting into lifts, offer to help people with buggies trying to go through doors or up/down steps (when I don't have a buggy myself) but it gets on my nerves when people don't say thank you or acknowledge you in some way. I notice, that it's mainly women who hold open doors etc. nowadays and not men! Where have all the chivalrous men gone? I've come across very few lately.. My LO Bo loves to open doors for people and do good deeds, he says that he's "chiveriliverus" everyone finds that incredibly cute.

I always hold doors open for people and wait my turn too :thumbup: It takes nothing to smile and be polite and we're bringing up our LO with manners :D Most people are gracious enough to say thanks or at least smile but it is really frustrating when you don't even get an acknowledgement :dohh: I always think though, it's their loss if they want to live in such a cold and unfriendly world :haha:

xx

I'd call that rude in all honesty. Just because he's a woman (as are we) doesn't mean we are exempt from using our manners. We have to hold doors open and be courteous too :dohh:

I always hold the door open for others. When people don't say thank you, I say real loud, "You're Welcome!" :lol:

:lol: Yup me too. :thumbup:

Me three :thumbup: xx

And me! :lol:

As for lifts, I only use them if totally necessary. I don't particularly like them anyway, but if there are stairs or an escalator available (even if I have to walk further) I think it would be incredibly selfish for me to take up space in the lift that someone who cannot use the stairs, could use. I used to find it annoying when people would do that, when I had LOs in a pram.

Another thing about lifts - people who stand there in the way waiting to get into it blocking the way out! Just move out the way and you'll get in once the people get out, idiots! :lol:

If there are stairs I will use them but if its just a lift or an escalator I have to use the lift. I am ok going up on an escalator but I have a severe fear of stepping on them going down - I get dizzy and panicky and my balance disappears. I wouldn't dream of pushing in the queue though, I have waited ages for the lift but that is much better then the thought of stepping onto the escalator.

I hold doors for people, it's a sad world when people can't even give people that.
I got up to open the door for an elderly lady at the dentist a few weeks back-the other people in there looked at me like I was a right weirdo.

I hold doors open for people, wait my turn getting into lifts, offer to help people with buggies trying to go through doors or up/down steps (when I don't have a buggy myself) but it gets on my nerves when people don't say thank you or acknowledge you in some way. I notice, that it's mainly women who hold open doors etc. nowadays and not men! Where have all the chivalrous men gone? I've come across very few lately.. My LO Bo loves to open doors for people and do good deeds, he says that he's "chiveriliverus" everyone finds that incredibly cute.

We gave that up when we decided to leave the kitchen. I've asked men this before, they all say they're afraid of being accused of harassment/discrimination/etc so they just forget about doing anything nice for women anymore.
My old boss said he used to buy a single rose for all the women in his office (they were all women) every Monday morning (he would buy a dozen and split them), and someone actually complained about it.

We gave that up when we decided to leave the kitchen. I've asked men this before, they all say they're afraid of being accused of harassment/discrimination/etc so they just forget about doing anything nice for women anymore.
My old boss said he used to buy a single rose for all the women in his office (they were all women) every Monday morning (he would buy a dozen and split them), and someone actually complained about it.

:saywhat: That is so nice!!!

Hmm.
Things used to be pretty shitty for women in terms of choice, and one of the things thrown in our face a lot was that we were lucky to be pretty cherished little things that were there to be taken care of by men. I think that was under the umbrella of chivalry? Or at least the sexist version of chivalry. There is a great argument that the chevaliers/chivalric knights were supposed to be fighting for justice and fair treatment for those that were not automatically afforded it - which of course included women and all sorts of peasants - non-citizens, all! Woohoo! Gender equality! Just not across the classes!
Over the generations, that non-citizen status stayed with women, but not necessarily with men (regardless of class), as well as the idea that we needed to be protected or cared for. To the point of excluding our voices and our choices and leaving us in positions of incredible vulnerability in terms of autonomy or legality. We fought for an alternate choice in this. And as feminism evolved (through the really angry bra-burning, man-hating stuff), equality as a social idea came to mean that you do nice things for everyone, which is much closer to the original idea of chivalry.
Feminism is not this angry man-hating threat that means men should now make a point of being an asshole because women are "out of the kitchen". Today, it is just as rude for a woman to cut a line or not hold a door as it is for a man. I do this for my fellow human beings out of respect and regard. Not because I am clinging to some old-school ideals of knights in shining armour and damsels-in-distress. Why on earth would anyone mourn the "loss of chivalry" if they truly understood the stifling patriarchal regime that went with it?
:blush: Okay, rant over! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->