Holding "slippery" fruit!!

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
How do you get you LO to hold fruit/veg as finger food?? :shrug:

My LO is fine with toast, breadsticks, ricecakes etc (not that he eats it, just plays with it at the moment) but fruit or veg sticks/pieces just slip right out of his hand.

Any brilliant suggestions..........please. :hugs:

Thanks.

the only thing so far that we have encountered a problem with is banana, so what we do with that is i buy her the kids funsize ones so they are easier for her to get her hand round and peel it a bit and cut the peeled skin off with scissors that way she can hold the skin but eat the banana :) hope that makes sense!

the only thing so far that we have encountered a problem with is banana, so what we do with that is i buy her the kids funsize ones so they are easier for her to get her hand round and peel it a bit and cut the peeled skin off with scissors that way she can hold the skin but eat the banana :) hope that makes sense!

That's a good idea, thanks.

How did you find she did with pears or melon??

she does ok with watermelon i just cut a piece off like thin wedge and hand her the side with the skin on. havent attempted pear yet :)

How about drying the excess juices off with a paper towel as it is these that make it really slippery.

I'm having the same problem! My LO loves her finger food but struggles with most of the slippery fruits. In fact the only fruit she is ok with is bananas as she sort of mushes it in her hand first. I've tried avacado, cucumber and carrot without success! She did well with steamed runner beans as she could hold on to them tight : ) I'd love to her more ideas!

Great ideas, thanks. :thumbup:

I'd never thought about leaving the skin on some fruits (once they'd been washed) would it be ok though if he took a little nibble and ate it (not melon obviously):dohh: ????

I'd never thought about leaving the skin on some fruits (once they'd been washed) would it be ok though if he took a little nibble and ate it (not melon obviously):dohh: ????

id imagine so - if my LO nibbles the skin i normally turn it round for her so she has the right bit of the melon though :)

id imagine so - if my LO nibbles the skin i normally turn it round for her so she has the right bit of the melon though :)

Without teeth they usually just pull flesh off the skin and if they put a whole chunk in with skin on the skin usually reappears after a while miraculously stripped of flesh!! Sometimes it can cause a bit of retching because it is difficult to chew but it is amazing what they can deal with.

I cut up pieces and use some sort of puff (rice puffs or even cherios- anything like that really that you're OK with them eating) and smash it into crumbs (I do this in a baggie) then roll the pieces around in the crumbs. My baby was so happy when she could feed herself banana. Had it suggested by one girl on here and it worked really well for us.

I heard crushing Cheerios and coating the fruit in them, helps a better grip.

Im def trying these ideas as it gets tiring to watch things go whooshing out of Ellas hand :D

I really had to wait until Thomas had the hand skills to hold that sort of thing without it slipping out. It didn't take too long. The rolling in baby cereal helps somewhat.

I use a weaning net like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200430617754?redirect=mobile#ht_7957wt_787

Just chop a bit of whatever you want to give LO & pop it in the net & they can happily chomp on it! They're a pain to get clean though, that's the only problem.

Sazzle - Have you tried Banana in it?! An absolute nightmare to clean out, and anything like peach or nectarine! Amelia loves hers, but I don't!

Sazzle - Have you tried Banana in it?! An absolute nightmare to clean out, and anything like peach or nectarine! Amelia loves hers, but I don't!

Yeah I have! It took a lot of scrubbing but I got it clean! I've now found if you soak it after use in hot water, it's a lot easier to clean!

My LO just got the hang of it one day. It's amazing what they can deal with! I agree with punk pig too-fruit with a skin usually gets peeled while in LO's mouth and the skin gets spat back out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->