Holiday Fun! Mocktail recipes that will make you feel like you're not missing out!

callypygous

Reaction score
Hey fellow preggo ladies,

I don't know about you, but I'd like to be holding an interesting drink of some description over the winter holidays - but as I'm first tri I'm making the personal decision of avoiding booze for now.

If any of you have some good soft drink combos/mocktail recipes you'd like to share - I think it would be fun to have a little collection.

To get the ball rolling..

This mocktail not only tastes deceptively like a mojito, it also has ginger ale in it for anyone feeling a little queasy!

Virgin Mojito

6 - 8 sprigs of mint
1 tsp brown sugar
half a lime squeezed - and throw in the chunks
ice
top up with 40 ml apple juice 80 ml ginger ale or simply 120 ml ginger ale

You can tweak the amount of lime vs sugar to get the level of sweetness you like. This is so good, when my DH tried it, he thought there was some rum in it! You can also top up with lemonade, but ginger ale gives a more authentic mojito flavour.

If the smell of mulled wine/cider is making you envious, why not give this one a go?

Mulled apple juice

1 litre of apple juice (make sure it's pasteurised!)
Strips of orange peel and lemon peel
1 thumb size slice root ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
6 cloves (you can stick these in the orange peel to avoid accidentally drinking them later!)
Honey/maple syrup to taste

Possible additional extras - Star anise/dried ginger pieces/nutmeg/cardamom pods/

Heat the apple juice on the stove with the peel, ginger, cloves and cinnamon sticks, and you can literally add ingredients gradually until you get it how you like it. I personally like it with a bit of a kick spice wise. I don't add powdered spices as they tend to congeal at the bottom of the mug/or worse float around in it, and aren't a nice surprise if you accidentally slurp them!

Has anyone else got some recipes to share?

Sounds great! Especially if you're still trying to hide your pregnancy over the holiday season :)

What a good idea :thumbup:

I haven't got any recipes, but did find a bottle of alcohol free mulled wine in Ikea at the weekend if anyone is feeling lazy :haha: I haven't tried it yet, mind.

I find some of the wine "substitutes" really nice, asda do a really nice white grape and red grape wine that are really yummy and do taste a little like wine!
I like the idea of alcohol free mulled wine! I was pregnant at Christmas last year too and it's the only time I felt I wanted a drink during pregnancy! I did have a glass of champagne with orange juice in on New Year's Eve which was yummy, but I was in the 2nd tri by then so don't know whether I will this year.

I love a gin & tonic with lots of ice and fresh lime but I find a tonic with ice & lime almost as satisfying as I never normally drink it and the taste is so distinctive it almost fools me I'm having a drink.

I love vodka and tonic with lime and do the same when pregnant, also is good for settling my stomach lol!

I made a drink last Halloween and I think it would taste just as good without the vodka in it.

1/3 Orange juice
1/3 Pineapple juice
1/3 Sprite

Not as fancy as your recipes, but yummy. Put it in a red solo cup or add food coloring (or grenadine for some cherry flavoring) for a little more disguise.

mmm I want to get me some of that alcohol free mulled wine from ikea - yum! I've never tried no alcohol wine, I might have to give that a go :)

I also love ginger ale or tonic when I want something that feels a little more sophisticated than a normal soft drink.

Thanks for the tips ladies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->