Hollyoaks storyline scrapped

A

AppleBlossom

The storyline that was meant to air this week to do with Loretta and her friend killing a baby when they were 12 has been cancelled. There was a lot of controvesy and apparently it was finally axed after Jamie Bulgers' mother said that it too closely resembled the story of the teenage boys that killed her son. Do you think they were right to axe it out of respect? Or do you think it would have raised awareness that these things can happen?

i dont thin it should've been axed providing it was done right.

I'm not sure, I think if it was done right with the right facts and not just a hyped up thing to get viewing rates up tehn its ok

But I think a lot of reasearch should go into it and they should know how to film it etc
xx

Im not sure, if it had been done delicately, with the right research maybe it could have been done.
But theres been outcry, i saw loads of Facebook groups asking peeps to boycott Hollyoaks because of it x

I'm not sure, I think if it was done right with the right facts and not just a hyped up thing to get viewing rates up tehn its ok

But I think a lot of reasearch should go into it and they should know how to film it etc
xx

i agree imo they should scrap murders and other things then as well because it will upset someone in the same boat, as long as they have the right facts and do it in a tasteful manner than it shouldnt be a problem the show is about life and life is not always nice and i dont think it should be sugar coated because its life...and sadly sometimes things like these happen i think it would be a good idea to open the peoples eyes and make them realise this happens and it could stop people by showing them how sick it is

Hmmm - tough one. I understand that the Bulger case was particularly horrific, and makes me cry even now when I hear about it, but I think scrapping the storyline would be more understandable if it were following a recent incident, rather than something that happened many years ago. Provided it was handled sensitively I wouldn't consider it to be any more disrespectful to the family than any other abuse/abduction storyline that may feature in a tv programme or film. I don't mean to cause offence - just my opinion. xxx

xx

i agree imo they should scrap murders and other things then as well because it will upset someone in the same boat, as long as they have the right facts and do it in a tasteful manner than it shouldnt be a problem the show is about life and life is not always nice and i dont think it should be sugar coated because its life...and sadly sometimes things like these happen i think it would be a good idea to open the peoples eyes and make them realise this happens and it could stop people by showing them how sick it is

I agree

i think sops d get hounded until the show gets aired, they normally do these things delicatley

I heard they hadn't scrapped it totally just changed certain details?? x

I read on Sky news that they gave James Bulgers Mum a private screening of the episode and they decided to removes some scenes from Hollyoaks, i think its quite sickening that this poor Mum has to live with the fact her son was murdered without Hollyoaks and their flaky cast trying to get more viewers!!!!

V xxxx

But I think soaps can sometimes open peoples eyes

As long as the right reasearch and delicay is put into it then it can be used to educate people of the dangers of anything

For example a story line on child abuse if done properly it could educate teh viewers on the signs to look for and how to go about dealing with it etc

If things like this are made to be a taboo

Then wont more children or anyoen that is being abused be scared to come forward because no one dares show it??
xx

I can see what your saying and yes if its done sympatheticly i agree with it, but take Marias stillbirth for example in Corrie that was done appallingly.

The way that was played out was for shock value and IMO this is what Hollyoaks is doing.

V xxxx

I saw the mariah one and I couldnt want it so I def agree on that one.

In this cae I'm not sure what hollyoaks agenda was because I havnt seen it and proberly wont now if they have scrapped it. It must have been hard for jamies mother to have to relive all those memories again

totally off topic but where is that tree in your avatar it gorgoues
xx

Its the Rockerfeller Centre in New York, borrowed it from Google, i love it, i have a small problem with Xmas trees, the bigger and the brighter the better :blush:

V xxxx

I think they are right to scrap it, I cant even imagine what jamie bulgers mum has been through so if she feels uncomfortable in any way then they cant air it.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's been enough out there about it for people to know it's coming and they always put a disclaimer on. It was before the watershed so it can't have been that graphic etc. And does JB mum even watch HO?? I'm sorry but I think it's ridiculous. That's like me saying they can't do Hannah's storyline because I used to have eating problems. By involving JBs mum they've made it MORE controversial, I mean, I feel for the woman but since when was she the governing body/what's so special about her iykwim? They've done loads of controversial storylines in soaps and I don't remember them drafting in people who had been in the news years ago because it had happened to them to vet episodes.

What I've said sounds a bit harsh and I don't mean it that way but it just all seems a bit daft.

And if they literally did copy the JB story then they're incredibly stupid.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's been enough out there about it for people to know it's coming and they always put a disclaimer on. It was before the watershed so it can't have been that graphic etc. And does JB mum even watch HO?? I'm sorry but I think it's ridiculous. That's like me saying they can't do Hannah's storyline because I used to have eating problems. By involving JBs mum they've made it MORE controversial, I mean, I feel for the woman but since when was she the governing body/what's so special about her iykwim? They've done loads of controversial storylines in soaps and I don't remember them drafting in people who had been in the news years ago because it had happened to them to vet episodes.

What I've said sounds a bit harsh and I don't mean it that way but it just all seems a bit daft.

I agree completely!

I agree, by involving the mum they have made it look like it really has EVERYTHING to do with her to a T.

Thats the thing, Hollyoaks has done a huge lot of story lines i have been able to relate to but you dont hear us wanting them to stop the stores.

I do feel if its done correctley, which i could only imagine Hollyoaks would do this delicatley, then so be it. Someone is bound to relate to storylines, thats the point - we learn from them!

Im glad its been scrapped, it was an incredibly distasteful move ... at the end of the day a soap is for entertainment and i faill to see whats entertaining about emulating a true story about the murder of a child? :shrug:

How would you feel if that were your child? Just because it happened years ago im sure that doesnt make it any less painful for that mother, especially having to have it dragged back through the news and television again?

Distasteful and disrespectful IMO!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->