Home Birth in the UK?

Rebaby

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone based in the UK has booked in for a home birth or is intending to?

Before i got pregnant i was determined to have a home birth with my first but since actually getting pregnant i have been scaring myself/talking myself out of it! So much so that at my initial appointment with my midwife at 5 weeks i didn't even mention it and booked in at our local hospital.

I've been reading through www.homebirth.org.uk this morning and i am feeling more positive now and am planning to tell my midwife at my official booking-in appointment in 2 weeks that i would like a home birth. I would love to hear what other people's experiences have been and what reactions they have had from midwives.

Our situation is complicated because we will be moving house soon which will take us out of area and require me registering with a new GP so of course even if my current team of midwives are positive about the idea of a home birth it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same when we move :dohh:

I'd particularly love to hear from anyone who is planning a home birth for their first.

Thanks.

hey rebaby, hope you're okay,
I had always wanted a home birth, I loathe hospitals and get really stressed just visiting people (I've worked in psychiatric hospitals which are fine to me, I can't stand medical ones!) My midwife said that they are very supportive of home birth as long as it's a low risk pregnancy and in fact she brought it up. Not sure about other areas but she seemed to think that was a national policy - it sounded like as long as you are low risk (ie no existing medical conditions, and as long as you stay that way throughout without any raised blood pressure or anything develops) they should be supportive wherever you are.
My other option would be a birth centre a few towns away, which from what I've heard is beautiful with loads of great equipment - sounds lovely, however my concern about that would be that if a hospital transfer was needed the birth centre is about 15-20 miles away, while my home is about 2-3 miles away!
I haven't looked into it properly yet but there were several threads on this site a while ago about it, with websites. From what my midwife said, and what I have read, the considerations would be about yours and baby's health (monitored throughout - if they have any concerns at all at the last minute they will send you to hospital), whether you want an 'active' or a 'high tech' birth, what you want for pain relief (limited at home), who you want to be there, etc.
I had thought I would start to look into it more in 2nd tri, but my feeling is that I do want a home birth if I can. Will keep you posted if I find anything useful!

I'm actually considered a high risk birth as I had a c-section last time, but I'm planning a home birth this time. The MWs have been pretty supportive overall. I planned a home birth last time and then moved towns and found the new MWs just as supportive as the old ones.

I want to have a home birth next time around, though i'm kinda worried that i'll talk myself out of it also...i'll prob be scared at the last moment.

I'm booked in for a home birth and really hoping I get one! Whilst the midwives are very supportive of them, the NHS are not so much so there's a lot of reasons why they don't let you book one, or don't let you have one on the day. The only way to *guarantee* one would be to use an independent midwife but we couldn't afford one.

We had the midwife come round yesterday to give us the risk assessment and I got quite depressed and anxious about all the exceptions they have. Things like your blood pressure, your temperature, how fast you're dilating, how your labour is progressing etc. And obviously you have to be between 37 weeks and 41+6 weeks. The other problem is midwife availability. Two midwives have to be present but there's only ever 2 on call in the whole of West Sussex(!!) so if they're too far away or attending another home birth, you don't get one.

But we've booked it in anyway and will keep our fingers crossed for a perfect labour with no complications whatsoever and that it comes within the set dates etc. etc.

im planning on having a home birth midwife was really excited when i told her.
so many people have tryed to put me of but i have my heart set on it. nothing will make me change my mind except a bad complication. the fact that i can relax in my own home instead of being moved around a hospital and share baby no2 coming in to the world with my son (will be 2 at birth) makes a home birth the only for me.

Im thinking about it.
Homebirth dairies on Sky in the morning, channel 254 if youve got it :)

I'm going to have my first at home - a waterbirth too if all goes to plan, I think the key things to remember are:
- If you book for a home birth you can change your mind at any time and go to hospital
- If you book for a hospital birth you are unlikely to be able to have a home birth at the last minute

My aunty who is a midwife gave me some really good advice - always remember that even if you do chose a home birth you can't get too mentally set on it (something I keep reminding myself) as the worry of being dead set against going to hospital at all costs can make you less relaxed and therefore make labour more difficult, being relaxed is key. Also the major goal is to get the baby out, however that has to happen, even if it isn't the way we planned it.

Other than that I just really want a birthing pool, I love the water so just starting off at homes means this is a guaranteed option, there's only one pool in my hospital so i might not get to use it.

i'm planning a home birth...i told my MW at my last appointment and she seemed pretty keen altho i have to wait for the results of my GTT b4 anything get set in stone. i also want a water birth. i love the idea of being at home and not having to go anywhere mid labour, plus not having to stay in hopsital over night by myself afterwards etc etc and i know i can always transfer to hospital if i change my mind where as i know i can't suddenly go home from hospital if i start off there and change my mind.

I'm planning one too - in fact, the mw mentioned it at my booking-in appointment - they are very encouraging of it in my part of Norfolk, apparently.

One reason is that I don't want to lose control, as much as possible; I also don't want to be in hopsital without DH. Also, I want a water birth and though there is a pool in the local hospital, you can't book it ahead so don't know whether you're going to be able to use it.

My aunt is a health visitor and keeps banging on about not fixing it in my mind as things could change last minute. I'm aware of that but feel like I can't wait till the last minute to prepare myself mentally and physically, so I'm finding out as much as poss about it now, so if it goes according to plan I'll be prepared.

MW said you have to be in the right frame of mind mentally, as pain relief options are less, and look into other forms of pain relief, e.g. massage, meditation (depends what you're in to, I suppose - I'm interested in that kind of thing). I've also told DH that he has to play a more active role in all this - and he's DEFINITELY NOT into meditation!

I've found a local meeting run monthly by the NCT about homebirths - getting people who have had one and mw's to talk about it and the issues around it - going on Monday. Might there be something like that round your way?

remember that nobody can stop you having a home birth.. nobody. it is your choice. do not be fobbd off by midwives or anybody. do what is right for you

you may find the following group useful, it has tons of info and has been a wonderful resource for me. it also has the very fabulous midwife mary cronk on it. i really recommend it

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/homebirthUK/

I had a home birth with my daughter Niamh and it was the best decision i made and i would recommend a home birth to anyone thinking about one.

My midwife was very supportive and i was very lucky that it was my midwife that actually delivered Niamh.

One thing i was allowed was a birthing pool because in my area there needs to be 4 adults to get you out quickly in an emergency but other than that it all went very smoothly without a hitch.

It was a wonderful getting into your own shower afterwards and then climbing into your own bed. My midwife stayed with us for 3 hours after (she was in the kitchen) Also my OH was with me the whole time. When i had my son in hospital he was sent home an hour later.

The only slight problem was that my labour was quite quick 5 hours from start to finish and the 2nd midwife got stuck in rush hour traffic with the gas and air, so i only had pain relief for an hour!

I had a lot of negative feedback from people and one person said i was putting my baby in danger! I'm glad i stuck to my guns as it was the best decision i ever made.

Good luck

Putting your baby in danger! What a thing to say - as if you wouldn't think of her safety. Grrr!

hospital births have been shown to be less safe than a " normal " homebirth so that is crap...
you did the right thing. i wish i could have a homebirth, i have considered it but with my health probs it looks unlikely to be honest. still you never know..there are some great sites on homebirth and the benefits are huge to mother and baby. birth is wayyyy too medicalised in this country

Would I be too late to book a homebirth? Coz its something I would really like to have, had my son in hospital and suffered with PND due to the birth and the way they treated me.

i have cool news on the subject of home birth...i've had my GTT results back and they're all fine so now i have no reason why i can't have a home birth! i told my midwife last time i saw her and she was pretty keen abt the whole thing- AND i've just ordered a birthing pool! looks like its all set now! :p

I would like a home birth however.....I am not an "ideal candidate"
I am 36, this is my 3rd baby. Other children are 17 and 12.
Both labours with them were fairly quick, 14 and 6 hours. No pain relief, no tears or anything.
So I should be ok I hear you say....

Ermmm no. The problem is I now have a high BMI and at my booking in appointment I was so worked up about it my blood pressure was high too hence the "not an ideal candidate"

I'm working on trying to destress and calm down ( I am already losing weight due to a much healthier diet and more exercise) in the hope my BP comes down, which will be easier to do one I've had my first scan and I know the baby is there and alive having had 2 MC's in the last 3 years. Then assuming there are no other problems with the pregnancy I will push for a home birth.
If I still get a negative reaction I will consider getting in touch with an independent midwife and see what they say.

So anyone have any tips of lowering BP?!?!?

I would like a home birth however.....I am not an "ideal candidate"
I am 36, this is my 3rd baby. Other children are 17 and 12.
Both labours with them were fairly quick, 14 and 6 hours. No pain relief, no tears or anything.
So I should be ok I hear you say....

Ermmm no. The problem is I now have a high BMI and at my booking in appointment I was so worked up about it my blood pressure was high too hence the "not an ideal candidate"

I'm working on trying to destress and calm down ( I am already losing weight due to a much healthier diet and more exercise) in the hope my BP comes down, which will be easier to do one I've had my first scan and I know the baby is there and alive having had 2 MC's in the last 3 years. Then assuming there are no other problems with the pregnancy I will push for a home birth.
If I still get a negative reaction I will consider getting in touch with an independent midwife and see what they say.

So anyone have any tips of lowering BP?!?!?

I can't offer any additional tips on reducing BP, although going for a massage might help. But what I will say is that regardless of your health situation, you're completely within your rights to demand a homebirth if that's what you want. Ultimately all they're checking is whether you're "high risk" or "low risk".

"High risk" mums can come through with no complications whatsoever, and "low risk" mums can have dreadfully complicated births. They're just checking the odds, and have no right to tell you how you can or can't have your baby.

I'd expect an independant MW to say most of this anyway, but just thought it worth mentioning.

hospital births have been shown to be less safe than a " normal " homebirth so that is crap...
you did the right thing. i wish i could have a homebirth, i have considered it but with my health probs it looks unlikely to be honest. still you never know..there are some great sites on homebirth and the benefits are huge to mother and baby. birth is wayyyy too medicalised in this country

I think hospital birts are mainly statistically less safe because women classed as higher risk are not allowed to have home births - so pretty much only women who are fairly certain to have uncomplicated births are allowed them in the first place. Hence a lower risk rate.

Would I be too late to book a homebirth? Coz its something I would really like to have, had my son in hospital and suffered with PND due to the birth and the way they treated me.

No, I don't think you're too late - as far as I'm aware, the decision about whether you'd be 'allowed' to have one riskwise is taken at 36 weeks i.e. you're not diabetic or anaemic, placenta is in the right place, baby isn't breech etc.

But then I don't know if they can legally stop you from insisting anyway.

I went to that homebirth meeting last night: there are some issues about the right to have one - apparently although you can insist, by law the local health authority only has to provide a paramedic, not a mw!

And the biggest threat to getting one is if the hospital is low-staffed e.g. through holiday or sick leave.

Also, one girl told a story about her friend, who had a perfectly normally progessing labour, was dilated to 9cm and then had to go to hosp as her mw was going off shift and there was no one to come out and replace her! Apparently it slowed everything down completely and turned out to be less than she had hoped for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->