Home Birth in the UK?

Oh, one other method of relaxing and reducing BP would be to try natal hypnotherapy. It worked well for us as a means of relaxation.

hospital births have been shown to be less safe than a " normal " homebirth so that is crap...
you did the right thing. i wish i could have a homebirth, i have considered it but with my health probs it looks unlikely to be honest. still you never know..there are some great sites on homebirth and the benefits are huge to mother and baby. birth is wayyyy too medicalised in this country

I think hospital birts are mainly statistically less safe because women classed as higher risk are not allowed to have home births - so pretty much only women who are fairly certain to have uncomplicated births are allowed them in the first place. Hence a lower risk rate.

thing is it is not about being " not allowed "
nobody can stop you having a home birth and a midwife by law has to attend you.
hospital births have far higher likelihood of medical interventions which are far more risky.. the epidurals lead to higher risk of other medical procedures inc caesarean, episiotomy, ventouse etc.

lots of stats on the safety of homebirth in particular on the yahoo homebirth group.

if i am still on morphine i will not have one purely becaus my child will ned after birth care, but i am trying to work on that. my compromise is a natural birth in a pool in a midwife unit.

Would I be too late to book a homebirth? Coz its something I would really like to have, had my son in hospital and suffered with PND due to the birth and the way they treated me.

No, I don't think you're too late - as far as I'm aware, the decision about whether you'd be 'allowed' to have one riskwise is taken at 36 weeks i.e. you're not diabetic or anaemic, placenta is in the right place, baby isn't breech etc.

But then I don't know if they can legally stop you from insisting anyway.

I went to that homebirth meeting last night: there are some issues about the right to have one - apparently although you can insist, by law the local health authority only has to provide a paramedic, not a mw!

And the biggest threat to getting one is if the hospital is low-staffed e.g. through holiday or sick leave.

Also, one girl told a story about her friend, who had a perfectly normally progessing labour, was dilated to 9cm and then had to go to hosp as her mw was going off shift and there was no one to come out and replace her! Apparently it slowed everything down completely and turned out to be less than she had hoped for.

maybe it is different in wales??? although often they do pull stunts like paramedics and SAYING they will not provide a midwife/ understaffed etc.. my understanding is that legally they have to. you can also write to the head of midwives saying that you will be having a homebirth and look forward to them providing the midwives that are your right. lot sof advice on this available on homebirthing sites.

I have been doing a bit of research and no one can stop you giving birth at home but the law has changed and unfortunately your local health authority do not have to legally provide you with a birth attendant if you chose to have a home birth.

That doesn't mean if you go into labour and call your local hospital and they say no one is available to come out you should give in...you can stand your ground and in most cases i think this works quite well and someone will be sent out to attend you.

I think sadly, even though the government says it a woman's choice to have her baby at home or in the hospital there are some areas of the country which seem to have some catching up to do with the idea and like so many things in life it can become something you almost have to 'fight' for. So i think it helps if you do your research (hence me doing all this reading around) and really know your own mind and be prepared to stand your ground.

I am hoping i won't be met with resistance but i am preparing for battle just in case :rofl:

I am gonna bring it up with my MW when I see her in 2 weeks see what she says regading me having a homebirth! Will let you all know!

Theres a thread recently appeared in 3rd tri for anyone planning a home birth and hoping to use hypnobirthing...just thought i'd let u ladies know. :)

hospital births have been shown to be less safe than a " normal " homebirth so that is crap...
you did the right thing. i wish i could have a homebirth, i have considered it but with my health probs it looks unlikely to be honest. still you never know..there are some great sites on homebirth and the benefits are huge to mother and baby. birth is wayyyy too medicalised in this country

I think hospital birts are mainly statistically less safe because women classed as higher risk are not allowed to have home births - so pretty much only women who are fairly certain to have uncomplicated births are allowed them in the first place. Hence a lower risk rate.

thing is it is not about being " not allowed "
nobody can stop you having a home birth and a midwife by law has to attend you.
hospital births have far higher likelihood of medical interventions which are far more risky.. the epidurals lead to higher risk of other medical procedures inc caesarean, episiotomy, ventouse etc.

lots of stats on the safety of homebirth in particular on the yahoo homebirth group.

if i am still on morphine i will not have one purely becaus my child will ned after birth care, but i am trying to work on that. my compromise is a natural birth in a pool in a midwife unit.

I take your point about being 'allowed' - but as you have acknowledged, if the conditions don't look good then it may not be wise to do it and bring higher risks on a baby.

But it is not true that a midwife by law has to attend you - at least, unfortunately not in my Local HA.

so it seems ... however:

It is highly unlikely that the Secretary of State for Health would ever consider it 'appropriate' that a health authority refused to provide a midwife service for home births. If a mother who had met with such a blanket refusal was prepared to pursue matters, presumably the Secretary of State for Health could be asked to intervene.

If your health authority is refusing to offer you a home birth service, the Secretary of State needs to know that women in your area are not being supported in their childbirth choices. Catherine McCormick is responsible for midwifery services and has specifically asked for women having difficulty arranging a home birth to contact her, as apparently the Department of Health is looking for evidence on this matter. Address letters to Catherine McCormick, Department of Health, Room 419, Wellington House, 133-135 Waterloo Road, London, SE1 8UG or email [email protected]

It may help to complain to your Member of Parliament, and send copies of the letter to Yvette Cooper at The Department of Health, Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, London SW1A 2NL. Alternatively, you can email the Department of Health on [email protected]

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/law.htm

Booking a home birth can turn into a game of nerves, with the health authority insisting that it will not send a midwife. If the mother calls while in labour and states that she will not (or cannot) go into hospital, and requests a midwife, they would almost certainly send a midwife if the mother stood her ground. To date, as far as I have been able to ascertain, there have not been any cases where a midwife was not sent when the mother requested one in this situation. However, few women want to engage in this sort of debate while in labour.

Consider the situation where a mother called while in labour and refused to go into hospital, but the health authority did not send a midwife, and the mother gave birth alone. If the baby or mother suffered harm as a result, then the health authority could presumably be sued for failing to provide the expected level of care. However, it could also be argued that there was contributory negligence from the mother, since it was reasonably forseeable that harm might occur if she gave birth without medical supervision. This would reduce any liability of the health authority. So, while health authorities should bear in mind that they might be vulnerable to negligence claims if they failed to send a midwife, there are limitations on the likely extent of their liability.

If the health authority refuses to act upon a woman's decision to give birth at home, it is apparently not the individual midwife's responsibility:

14. "...A midwife would not be in breach of her professional duty if unable to attend a woman requesting a home birth by reason of her employer's decision not to provide such a service."

However, regardless of the health authority's views, it seems that in some situations the midwife still has a duty to attend provide care to a woman planning a home birth (emphasis mine in the extracts below):

16. "...the midwife should not refuse to continue to provide care for a woman on the basis of where the woman wishes the birth to take place."

17."...If mutually acceptable alternative arrangements cannot be agreed, the midwife should not withdraw care, thereby potentially placing the woman at risk of delivering unattended."

Even if the Trust says that it will not provide a home birth service, the midwife should not leave a labouring woman unattended at home:

7. "...While the employed midwife has a contractual duty to her employer, she also has a professional duty to provide midwifery care for women and would not wish to leave a woman in labour at home unattended, thus placing her at risk at a time when competent midwifery care is essential. "

14." ..In an emergency situation, the midwife has a professional responsibility to provide midwifery care to the best of her ability...."

This means that, if a mother refuses to go into hospital, the midwife should continue to care for her. If she does not, she could face investigation for misconduct. It seems that, in an emergency situation (eg where a mother is in labour and refusing to go to hospital), a midwife cannot simply refuse to attend a home birth, regardless of her employer's policy.

Summary

You have the right to remain at home for the birth, even if that is against medical advice and unattended. If you call upon a midwife to attend you at home while you are in labour, she has a professional duty to care for you, and it is unlikely that the health authority would want to take the risk of leaving you unattended if you stand your ground. Occasionally women who have booked a home birth call when in labour and are told that no midwives are available, so they will have to go to hospital. In fact, if you continue to refuse to go into hospital in this situation, it is likely that a midwife will come out to you.

The government believes that health authorities should support women who choose home birth where it is clinically appropriate, but there is no accepted definition of what is 'clinically appropriate'; the definition varies among health authorities, and sometimes appears to change according to how keen the health authority is to get a woman into hospital. In future, a judicial review of a health authority's refusal to provide a home birth service may re-establish an explicit legal right to such a service. In the meantime, if you encounter any difficulty booking a home birth, stand your ground, contact your local home birth support group and AIMS, and write to the Department of Health.

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/law.htm

A GP or doctor can refuse to attend a woman in labour, but a midwife cannot and she has an obligation to find another midwife if she is unable to attend. This is being undermined by many Trusts who are now arguing that they are providing a midwife but the woman has to come into the hospital.

AIMS has challenged two Trusts on this issue and pointed out to them that if they refuse to send a midwife to a woman in labour and a disaster occurs the Trust will be held liable - the Trusts appear to have reconsidered. However, we have asked the Midwifery Committee of the UKCC to consider this problem and they are prevaricating like mad. The discussion continues.

AIMS advises any woman who is told that "if we have a shortage of midwives at the time of your labour you will have to come into hospital" to write a short letter back stating that they have no intention of coming into hospital and they expect a midwife to attend when called. So far, each one has had a midwife attend at home (a sample letter for women in this situation is available on the AIMS website at the address below).

However, I know that there are many more women out there who have accepted what they have been told and went into hospital. This is a very good system for keeping the home birth rates down.

Beverley Lawrence Beech
www.aims.org.uk

mor info here:

https://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/hbuk.htm

Thanks for all this info, Soliloquise - I've actually looked into this a lot myself already too and attend a local NCT homebirth support group. Unfortunately from several people there I've heard some shocking stories - including the girl whose midwife was going off shift and she went to hospital 9cms dilated!!! Needless to say, it all went downhill from there and she had an awful experience.

My mw is extremely encouraging and was the one who suggested it in the first place - but plenty of women I've spoken to have had similar encouragement, only to be told at 36+ weeks that it may not happen because of X, Y, Z etc. Which isn't very encouraging.

This is why I want to be fully prepared - have already drafted my letter to local HA!

Hi girls :hug:

I am joining you. I had my first by c-section (due to severe SPD) but i really wanted a home birth. This time around it took me some time to decide what to do. And I really feel that the home birth would be the best option for me. (providing all is well).

I haven't talked about it with my midwife yet (will talk tomorrow). But I am considered a high risk (previous c-section + high BMI). But I think that as I am healthy and fit I should probably get it.
Will let you know how I go:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->