home birth or cord blood donation?

F

foquita

i have wanted a home birth since about a year or so before i got pregnant and really had my heart set on one BUT i am totally torn now because the hospital i would be giving birth at is the only hospital in scotland where they will collect my placenta for cord blood donation. i really want to donate my cord blood, but really want a home birth too :brat:

what would you do? just looking for other people's views really! :)

Where will the midwives be coming from? As far as I know, if you have a homebirth and don't want to keep the placenta, the midwives take it away with them and take it to the hospital for disposal, so why couldn't they take it to the hospital for donation?

Personally, I'd go with the home birth.

If I had been planning a hospital birth I'd certainly have done cord blood banking, but at the end of the day, I didn't want to face the risks of being in a hospital and I couldn't, in good faith, put myself/my LO at risk just so that I could donate.

HTH :)

from the hospital Irish_cob, it's not the midwives who collect it though - it would be someone from the national blood transfusion service and they only collect from that specific hospital, they wouldn't collect from home or take it from the hospital after a home birth I don't think.

I've pretty much decided that now solitaire, I put this question on a birth group I'm in on FB and they told me I wouldn't be able to delay cord clamping if I'm donating cord blood which I didn't realise! I just thought it was the 'right' thing to do but I would rather do the right thing for my baby by letting it get the full benefit of the cord blood :)

thanks so much for answering :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->