Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Girls I am already incredibly jealous of you all. We havent said we'll have another but we havent said we wont.....but if we do, just like Sid, they will be made at home and born there too.

x

If I have any future children, I want them to be made in the feeding room at mothercare.... and born in the comfort of our own home.... just like this Peanut.... :haha:

:rofl:!!!

I'm a little bit worried that the floor will collapse when we fill up our birthing pool :shock: it's meant to be solid concrete...as per some...regulation things....but that doesn't stop me worrying!!

Hi you all,
I'm new to this thread. Just wanted to say hi. :flower:

We are pregant with our first, due in early October and are planning a homebirth.
I've just ordered Ida May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth which came highly recommended, but am wondering if you all have any top favorite references for preparing for homebirth (books or online).

Looks like I'll be busy going through to read all 200 pages of this thread. :)

Thanks all!

Welcome RR :)

There are some recommended books on the OP and my personal favourite is 'Birthing The Easy Way' by Sheila Stubbs. I read this and it sealed the deal for me. You can buy it from her website which is linked in the OP as well :)

Oh and if you havent seen in already, do watch Rikki Lake's docu-film 'The Business of Being Born' much of which is based in NYC. :)

HOT NEWS!!! Just seen on Facebook that ER (Eternal Rose) has had her baby girl Abigail!!! Well done girl!! (Not sure if she had a homebirth though - no details as yet!)

Lis, you just made me cry...not that it would have taken much today but trust you to be the one that did it :haha: I am still so proud of you and happy for you.

I too love being a part of this thread and agree, all the ladies are amazing :hugs:

We have our 25 week MW appointment tomorrow which I am excited about as Jane is so lovely and supportive of our HB rather than trying to put us off and it makes such a difference.

Rach, so glad you are feeling better toots, hope Bubs makes an appearance soon :hugs:

xxx

Oh wow!! I just saw that too Rach. Did ER have a text buddy?? I hope it was everything she was hoping for! :)

Pops - I hope you cried in a good way hun! I'm gonna be bawling for weeks when it's your turn! Let us know how the appointment goes xx

Looks like she had her in hospital but all is well with them both :cloud9:

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/311851-eternalrose-mummy.html

ah bless her!!! Speaking of text buddies...anyone wanna be mine....i doubt OH will be impressed if i go into labour and tell him "pass the laptop so i can update my BnB!!!".....Much easier to send a text...especially as will be sending one to my mum etc anyway!!

Oh and Lisa...we blew up the pool today so its ready just in case and I have been bouncing on the ball all evening......its fantastic!! I was very impressed with the side panels being see through so you can look in!! My OH has his little stool ready! Maley had a field day in it!! Really hope I go into labour in the night or evening as she would sooo want to get in there with me!! Cant wait til we get a garden one day and she can have a paddling pool!!

Lis, you just made me cry...not that it would have taken much today but trust you to be the one that did it :haha: I am still so proud of you and happy for you.

I too love being a part of this thread and agree, all the ladies are amazing :hugs:

We have our 25 week MW appointment tomorrow which I am excited about as Jane is so lovely and supportive of our HB rather than trying to put us off and it makes such a difference.

Rach, so glad you are feeling better toots, hope Bubs makes an appearance soon :hugs:

xxx

It made me cry too......after giving birth you feel like superwoman anyway (well i did) but i think being so in control of my birth is so empowering!

25 weeks already!!! Flying by!!!

I'd love to be your text bud rachel please!! Pm me your number x

Hey girls, hope you're all doing well today!!!

I've been lurking on here again, waiting til I got to see my MW to make our plans yesterday.....and what a bloody crap meeting it was! She was the head of the team at my local surgery, and she basically did everything to make sure we knew she wasn't happy with us having our home birth!

She firstly greeted us by saying it was very late for us to be deciding this, 'these things take months to organise' and that she was gonna have to work extra, and draw in resources from other areas, so she could have it planned in time. Then she said, oh well there's another woman due the day before you, and she's been booked in from the start, so we can't be on call for you both, if you go into labour on the 28th (the day before) you WILL be going to hospital......at this point I just sat and nodded, was aware of how things were going to pan out...she went out the room to get the diary and I said to Chris I think we're gonna have a fight on our hands here.

So she came back with her diary and list of things to tell me, asked why I wanted to deliver at home etc etc, and seemed to be quite happy with everything I was saying. Told us about pain relief, how I can have diamorphine, which I declined, so she then told me that I would not be able to change my mind in labour, if things got too much for me, I wouldn't be able to go to hospital.....I don't want to go, but I KNOW that this IS an option, they won't bloody refuse me! Then came the list of everything that can go wrong - Chris's face got whiter by the minute - I sat nodding my head, I've done my homework and know the risks. And if something happened, it would be 1-2 hours before they got me to hospital...WTF, it only takes 20 minutes by car, surely a blue light ambulance wouldn't take 1-2 hours?! I said this, and she just kept saying about the number of women who had said to her 'I wish I'd known this before I chose my home birth and it went bad'. So basically she's saying that she has a list of women who's births had gone wrong? I must admit, I felt quite sick at this point.

Next was the pool...I said that I would be labouring in the pool all being well. Her reply to this - well that's Chris's job to maintain the temperature, he wont be able to help you much as this is his most important role, she was almost shouting at him!!!! Again, I just sat nodding, while squeezing his hand, if I opened my mouth I was going to say something I regretted. And how it HAD to be a rigid-side pool, not an inflatable one.....I didn't tell her this is what we're getting, what they gonna do at the time, tell me to get out? I don't bloody think so!

So this was the basis of the whole meeting, not ONCE did she say anything positive about the whole thing, and I know they have to cover everything, and was expecting to hear all the cons, but she did nothing to boost our confidence about it. Chris is a natural worrier, and I've spent a while explaining things to him so that he's happy with how it'll be here, and in less than an hour she brought him back to square one. She actually asked if he was sure he wanted to sign the form! I could've smacked her.

But we signed, and she made a fuss again about having to organise things in 3 weeks. Had I been a weaker person, I would've told her to forget it, but I stuck to my guns and being the stubborn creature I am, it's made me even more determined. I'm seeing my usual MW next week and I'll be bringing it up, I don't want to be going into this feeling negative!

Sorry I'm rambling on a lot, it probably doesn't seem such a big deal after all, I would just like to feel my team of midwives are behind us 100%!

Huge congrats ER :)

Well I'm officially due today and I have never got to my due date b4 so this is a new one for me :-(
And not in a good way, My mass fobia of hospitals is kicking in and my own midwife in now on holiday for 2 weeks.
I had a sweep on Wednesday, a curry and half a pinapple. Same again last night and I've done sooooooo much walking it's a wonder i can still stand! Hubby has also lent a hand too..... well not a hand but I'm sure you know what I mean. Had so many RLT and EPO tables I'm sure I've began to rattle. I know she's actually only just due today but I've lost all hope of her coming out ever, it sounds stupid I know but I'm so down right now. To have 4 b4 your due date and not have to wait for things to happen and now after all the hickups I had and being told I wouldn't get to full term theres no signs of anything. My midwife said on Wednesday that my cervix was forward starting to thin and already slightly open, which were all good signs, I've had no twinges nothing.
Wish me luck girls I think I may just go mad !!!!

Happy due date dee! It won't be much longer now :)

Janiepops, I would be effing FURIOUS if I were you.... Some of the stuff she said to you was outright lies! :growlmad:

I hope you start to get some twinges, deej. Glad your cervix was starting to do its thing though.

Janie. Glad you were able to keep your cool in the face of that - must have been hard. It sounds a pretty relentless onslaught. Good that you knew your stuff so could just keep nodding and ignoring. But good also that you can speak to your normal midwife and hopefully get a more balanced view from her. What did you have to sign? I haven't had to sign anything.

We were told that MrUrban's job was to keep the pool at the right temp too, which is actually one of the reasons we have hired a rigid pool as it comes with a heater. That way we can fling the bath thermometer in and just dial the heater up or down as necessary - but our taps are as far as they could be in our house from where we want the pool, so topping up would have been tricky.

Which reminds me, I need to pay the balance of the hire charge today, or there won't be a pool.

For those who have done water births already - mirrors. The one thing the midwife asked us to do was get a mirror so she can get a good look whenever she needs without me having to move. I have seen specific birth pool ones which look fab but are quite pricey, sold at the NCT shop, but was also thinking of just getting one of these from a hairdressing suppliers.

Do you think there is any advantage to getting the special angled one? Looks like it would do all sorts of angles, and it has no frame so is more hygienic. I suppose I could sell it afterwards.

Dee, you must be driven mad! No way would you have expected to go this long, but it CAN'T be much longer now :hugs: Lots of labour dust your way :D

madasa - I was furious, I was up half the night thinking about it, but now I've vented on here I feel much better. I'm just so glad I've looked right into it all and know all the benefits, as well as my rights. They won't be putting me off!!!! I just hope it's not her that comes out to me.....:S

Maybe you can request NOT to have her? Is there someone you can write to about that? (and say WHY you don't want her there)

Dee, have you tried inserting the EPO to help your cervix along?Not done it myself but I know people have....? If all else fails, wear your best knickers, guaranteed your waters will break :S

Janie. Glad you were able to keep your cool in the face of that - must have been hard. It sounds a pretty relentless onslaught. Good that you knew your stuff so could just keep nodding and ignoring. But good also that you can speak to your normal midwife and hopefully get a more balanced view from her. What did you have to sign? I haven't had to sign anything.

We were told that MrUrban's job was to keep the pool at the right temp too, which is actually one of the reasons we have hired a rigid pool as it comes with a heater. That way we can fling the bath thermometer in and just dial the heater up or down as necessary - but our taps are as far as they could be in our house from where we want the pool, so topping up would have been tricky.

We both had to sign a form that had her checklist on it, just to say she had covered everything. I felt like I was signing my life away! I'm starting to wish I'd booked with the Royal instead of Wishaw now at the start, i wont be making that mistake again!

I know that it's his job to keep the temp right, he knew it too, but it's not the hardest bloody thing in the world like she made out. Plus my mum and MIL are gonna be here too, I'm sure a woman can manage to make water the right temp :winkwink:

We both had to sign a form that had her checklist on it, just to say she had covered everything. I felt like I was signing my life away! I'm starting to wish I'd booked with the Royal instead of Wishaw now at the start, i wont be making that mistake again!

I know that it's his job to keep the temp right, he knew it too, but it's not the hardest bloody thing in the world like she made out. Plus my mum and MIL are gonna be here too, I'm sure a woman can manage to make water the right temp :winkwink:

It is weird the things that they focus on, isn't it? It will only be a bucket of water really won't it?!

The other thing our midwife mentioned was that if we needed to keep the hoses attached to the taps to top up the pool (which we don't) then to make sure we did it on the kitchen taps, not the bathroom ones. She said that previously this has led to midwives being uncomfortable going to the loo as they can't get the bathroom door closed properly due to the hoses being in the way.

A practical point I suppose, but seemed like a weird thing to specifically bring up in the middle of all the other 'birth' type discussions!

Could you still switch to the Royal if they keep being obstructive, or is it too far away for you?

Hahaha they really do point out the strangest things! Don't you feel like they're making you out to be a bit thick sometimes???

It's actually about the same distance, but I don't think I have the energy to go thru all that just now, I am after all getting my home birth, even if it is with negative attitudes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->