Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

They gave an exemption for independent midwives for at least 2 years while they work out something so at least our voices were heard. I went to a lot of rallies when they were going on though when this started, I was still at school so I only made it to a few.

So far, nothing for independent midwives who are attending home births as no Ob's have been "collaborating" (even the idiots that pushed for this collaboration to happen) but no suprise there but it has worked out for a few women I know who have used IM's to support them as their primary carer in hospital and have achieved empowering births that way.

I'm not choosing a midwife as my primary carer (which I always thought I would) but going through my GP who has a diploma in obstetrics and is supporting of homebirth (the sticker on the back of his car says "Einstein was born at home" hehe) and I am able to get half of what I pay back through medicare (goverment funding). So, I am paying $4000 up front and getting $2000 back. I don't feel I need him there and have toyed with the idea that I might not call him on the day and just have my doula there.

I know, the government had no right to invade my choice and I was very pissed that I may have been forced either into a hospital when I didn't need to be or freebirthing and then having to go to a hospital and being examined to prove that I have had that baby to have it registered.

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning on this thread is that as of Feb, this year, I am a student midwife. I'll be working in the hospital for at least a few years after I graduate but my final goal is to be an IM supporting homebirths!

I'm still here - and overdue now! Now that's unexpected :haha: :dohh: I have my last m/w appointment today, next one will be a sweep apparently. Hmmmmmmmmm lol

Any news from Snagglepat? Hope everything is going well for her x x

They gave an exemption for independent midwives for at least 2 years while they work out something so at least our voices were heard. I went to a lot of rallies when they were going on though when this started, I was still at school so I only made it to a few.

So far, nothing for independent midwives who are attending home births as no Ob's have been "collaborating" (even the idiots that pushed for this collaboration to happen) but no suprise there but it has worked out for a few women I know who have used IM's to support them as their primary carer in hospital and have achieved empowering births that way.

I'm not choosing a midwife as my primary carer (which I always thought I would) but going through my GP who has a diploma in obstetrics and is supporting of homebirth (the sticker on the back of his car says "Einstein was born at home" hehe) and I am able to get half of what I pay back through medicare (goverment funding). So, I am paying $4000 up front and getting $2000 back. I don't feel I need him there and have toyed with the idea that I might not call him on the day and just have my doula there.

I know, the government had no right to invade my choice and I was very pissed that I may have been forced either into a hospital when I didn't need to be or freebirthing and then having to go to a hospital and being examined to prove that I have had that baby to have it registered.

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning on this thread is that as of Feb, this year, I am a student midwife. I'll be working in the hospital for at least a few years after I graduate but my final goal is to be an IM supporting homebirths!

Wow - I’m really impressed you attended some of the rallies, that even though still doing your schooling you realised as a women, this would be effecting you in the future.

It must be a maddening situation! I can understand that at least if you have an independent MW who only has insurance in hospital, they can still give a homebirth experience in the hospital environment - however, this must be a woefully inadequate choice for some women - and presumably why you are not taking this route either.

It is brilliant that your G.P has experience of homebirth and is so supportive. But still it is tragic, that you are unsupported by your government to the extent that you will still have to pay for his services (even though some of it will be refunded).

I do agree that MW should have liability insurance, because as a healthcare professional, they do have a special duty of care to their patients - and without insurance, it wouldn’t address the tiny minority of cases where a MW might be negligent in her treatment or assistance of a homebirth. However, the government should support MWs working in the community for the community and provide this insurance and assurance for women, as otherwise it is a ridiculous circumstance, where MW and mothers are both bearing the brunt of paying over the odds to have their babies at home. While the government is paying more for providing hospital services which cost sooo much more than a homebirth!

It is amazing that you have not been put off from becoming a MW, clearly this could deter many people from making midwifery their career choice. I do hope that the power and strength of women like you will turn on it on it’s head this silly omission in the law, and more people realise how far reaching this law is and how it is restricting their rights. You for example are very lucky to be able to find the additional funds you need to support your choices, many women are not so fortunate and I can only see it as a form of gross discrimination.

xXx

help

Ok so my midwife just phoned me back to say she spoke with her supervisor and they class 37 weeks term as being a FULL 37 weeks meaning my on call homebirth can begin ONLY at the begining of 38 weeks.

Everywhere I have looked seems to state that at the START of 37 weeks is when you're classed as full term. Am I reading this right?

She said that if I want to push for it at the start of 37 weeks then I'll definitely have to send a letter, where as her supervisor is perfectly fine with 38 so I wouldn't need to do anything. And then she said even with the letter there's no guarantee I'll even get the 37 weeks.

My issue/question is should I even pursue this ladies? I don't want to piss anyone off, I don't want to be difficult I just want a homebirth dammit! I'll most likely not go at 37 weeks anyway. At 34+ I'm not even engaged yet! Please help, I know I've hijacked the thread a bit but I have to call her back by the end of today and I'm just really confused. :cry:

I know how you feel Jenni!:hugs:

It's so draining having to argue over everything, but I would say write the letter! Not just for you, but for all the potential home birthers that will come after :) you never know when ur going to go into labour and you seemed so well prepared from it after seeing your birth plan :)

abz x

I'm going to ask for a bit of help/ advice from all you clever people on here -

Does anyone have any links/info on breech birth at home?

Had a really pissy appmnt with the Midwife today and she annoyed me the second I walked in the door, then, after me telling her the baby turns ALOT. She felt my bump and said the baby was breech and if he didn't turn I wouldn't be getting a homebirth (which she'd forgotten i was planning even tho its all over my notes!!!!).

If poeple don't enjoy their job they shouldn't be doing it, I don't expect my midwife to tick boxes and throw leaflets at me, I expect her to CARE!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - rant over

help

Ok so my midwife just phoned me back to say she spoke with her supervisor and they class 37 weeks term as being a FULL 37 weeks meaning my on call homebirth can begin ONLY at the begining of 38 weeks.

Everywhere I have looked seems to state that at the START of 37 weeks is when you're classed as full term. Am I reading this right?

She said that if I want to push for it at the start of 37 weeks then I'll definitely have to send a letter, where as her supervisor is perfectly fine with 38 so I wouldn't need to do anything. And then she said even with the letter there's no guarantee I'll even get the 37 weeks.

My issue/question is should I even pursue this ladies? I don't want to piss anyone off, I don't want to be difficult I just want a homebirth dammit! I'll most likely not go at 37 weeks anyway. At 34+ I'm not even engaged yet! Please help, I know I've hijacked the thread a bit but I have to call her back by the end of today and I'm just really confused. :cry:

I think you should write the letter. She clearly doesn't understand maths. 37 weeks is a full 37 weeks. The first week starts at zero therefore 1 week is 7 days having passed. To say 38 weeks means a full 37 weeks is simply wrong and mathematically baffling. It's is a total arse having to challenge everything but I agree with the post after yours that we should do it for others too. Besides which I would be so cross about her bad logic I would have to set it right. Perhaps MW should have to do a numeracy test like trainee teachers...

I have a link some where to photographs and a story behind a footling breech homebirth on it's on my home comp...will post when I get home.

Also Abz there was a big thread of discussion about breech homebirths on the ukvbachbac yahoo email I'll have to see if I can find any good links or info within that.

For F's sake. The swab I wasn't asked permission to have taken and wasn't even told about until ages after has shown group B strep and now there's the whole battle of having a homebirth to look forward to. The MW wasn't my own and was good and mine will be too I know she will but now I've another thing to worry about being on the stupid antibiotics last time was just another part of it all going wrong. :cry:

My Letter:

6 January 2011
Margret Wilson
Community Midwifery Manager
Wishaw General
50 Netherton Street
Wishaw
ML2 0DP

Dear Margret Wilson,

I am booked for a home birth with midwives of Hunter Health in East Kilbride, and my due date is 12 February 2011. I understand that your unit does not recommend home birth prior to 38 weeks gestation, which I find surprising as the World Health Organisation's definition of 'term' is 37 - 42 weeks, and most health authorities support home birth from 37 weeks' gestation.

If I go into labour from 37 weeks' gestation then I have decided that I will remain at home for the labour and birth, unless there is a particular reason for transfer which emerges on the day. I am not prepared to accept hospital confinement solely on the basis of being under 38 weeks' gestation.

I would therefore appreciate it if you would make arrangements for the home birth kit to be delivered to my home prior to my 37 weeks date, which is 22 January 2011. I am sure you will agree with me that it could be disastrous if a midwife was called to attend my home birth, but did not have the necessary resuscitation equipment available to her.

I look forward to your reply.
Sincerely yours,

Jennifer Noble

CC: Michelle Walsh

I have CCed my midwife as I gave her a copy for my notes, but I was wondering if I should be cheeky and CC my MP? I only think this because I'm nearly 35 weeks so I don't have much time going back and forth. And thought adding my MP would make me look serious. But at the same time I don't want to look... uh.. what's the word? Well pretty much like an ass.
](*,)

I'd say go for it!!! CC your MP too - and if you have the time, you could always phone his/her secretary and make an appointment to see your MP in surgery. (not medical surgery - this is an MP's clinic with their constituents - sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.. just didn't want to be confusing!)

So pleased you have decided to write the letter - I created a few waves myself the first time round.. and it got some me excellent care! I'm certainly remembered by current my midwife!! Although she didn't come to my birth, she even remembered where I lived - In a way it has made things so much easier for me this time round.. they know that I know my own mind, and can be a little demanding, as I won't be passed off, I want everything fully explained - but I'm always friendly and they are friendly with me too (though, you never know, they could be taking in a deep breath each time they see me!) I always found the midwives my greatest ally to be honest.. I didn't have much of a problem with them, just some of the policies - so I politely told them I didn't agree! And when I say no, they know that I mean it! Still it does help having Lawyer written down as your occupation.
xXx

I'm going to ask for a bit of help/ advice from all you clever people on here -

Does anyone have any links/info on breech birth at home?

Had a really pissy appmnt with the Midwife today and she annoyed me the second I walked in the door, then, after me telling her the baby turns ALOT. She felt my bump and said the baby was breech and if he didn't turn I wouldn't be getting a homebirth (which she'd forgotten i was planning even tho its all over my notes!!!!).

If poeple don't enjoy their job they shouldn't be doing it, I don't expect my midwife to tick boxes and throw leaflets at me, I expect her to CARE!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - rant over

Any malpositions of the baby are usually detected in pregnancy and hopefully you have plenty of time to turn lo. Breach birth is less practiced, seen or even experienced by modern MW, and your MW is right that most do have a policy of saying they wouldn't attend you if you were breach. You would be regarded as an automatic candidate for a c-section. Sad truth. But your baby may alter its position at anytime including the last minute - please don’t loose hope yet. Your MW should also be able to offer you some optimum positions so you can help baby turn or manual repositioning by trying to turn baby by pushing on your tum, with G&A, as this can be quite painful.

At the time of labour, most breaches end up in the operating theatre, first of all with the Obt trying to manoeuvre baby round physically (applying internal and external pressure) with an epi to help with pain, and then next step is usually c-section. Sorry.

That isn't to say it isn't possible and you can't have a homebirth, no one can tell you that - but they can decide not to attend you. Just as you have rights, any individual MW has the right to refuse to assist you, esp where they feel it would be a legitimate health risk that is inline with their midwifery policy.

You could start by asking your MW if she or any of her colleagues have any experience of a vaginal breach birth? Then you might find a MW who would be happy to assist you with breach birth, or an independent MW?

Have they offered you a scan to see what the depth of pools of amino are around the baby? (it might still be alittle early for this though) You could always insit on seeing a consultant and getting a scan done?

Try all fours with your wrists to elbows on the floor and your bum right up in the air - should free some room for lo to turn about. Also some sware by doing this and then sitting bouncing on their balls!

Fingers crossed that as your baby is so active in turning about all the time, there is plenty of space to get into the cephalic position to engage before labour.

Sorry I can't be more of a help! Come on baby! Turn!
xXx

Gah! They're sent. One each to my MP, to AIMS, to my Midwife and the Head of midwifery. :wacko: Hope I don't look too difficult to them. But like you said bournefree I want them to take me seriously. I'm honestly more concerned about going over past the 12 days of my EDD. So maybe if they see how committed I am to this, they won't give me so much trouble, hahaha.

Thank you so much ladies for letting me be bit a self indulgent there. :hugs: I promise to go back through now and see what I've missed!

Excellent well done!

As you say, they will take you seriously and you are not being rude, you are simply proving you are a well informed, intelligent mummy.. who is informing them of your intensions and expects some answers. Your a 2% trail blazer!

Going over due, is a whole other set of arguments! :winkwink: Hahaha!
xxx

Glad you sent it jenni, job well done!

But did no-one notice my group B strep issues...?

Hi all I had my 29 week appt today all well, got a nice big 'booked for homebirth' stamp on front of my notes! lol.

Jen I'm glad you have written the letter 37 weeks is full term what is wrong with them?
peanut bean you have several options open to you,
1, continue with hb as planned up to a 1/3 of women are colonised with gbs and do not know about it.
2, go into hospital to recieve IV antibiotics for gbs
3, do another test at term to see what your gbs status is then, gbs is a transient infection. you may be neg in a few weeks.
here are some good websites that will go through all the facts about gbs https://www.gbss.org.uk/ and here https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm

Glad you sent it jenni, job well done!

But did no-one notice my group B strep issues...?

Oh dear, sorry, I missed it! :wacko:
So what is going on? You have had a swab done recently that you didn’t give consent for, and it has shown up as group b strep??

I’m assuming that you had Strep last time round, which is why you were tested this time, and were on the antibiotics last time too - how do you feel the Group B Strep contributed to you not getting a birth you wanted? but please don’t get down about it - things don’t have to go down the same route again!!
Let me know more.. And I’ll investigate!
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->