Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Also - had my scan yesterday!.. and they have moved my EDD to the 13th of July. Could I be changed on the OP please?
I'll post up some pictures when my DD gives me a chance!
xxx

So he mentioned ONE UR he had seen last week? And how many others has he seen recently? And how many VBACs have there been in that same time without incident? And how many homebirths? :dohh: Human brains are just so subjective in recall.

^^^ lol yeah I didn't press the point there didn't seem much point tbh. The look he gave me when I calmly explained I had a supportive MW and I knew the risk and also that those risks are very low he seemed to know that the instant scare tactic wouldn't work.

I have a feeling there'll a lot more pressure put on at the 34 weeks appointment though...have to have my head on straight for that one!

Hubby best friend goes in for her CS tomorrow! Naughty upside down baby wouldnt turn after 2 ECV's and her due date was the 1st Jan and not a sausage.

So wishing her a happy and necessary CS (she was NOT up for a breech vaginal although baby is frank as far as I know - she is VERY petite and Hubby is very tall I don't think there's much room in her skinny pelvis lol).

....so no news form Snugglepat?

Here's hoping she's doing well and labouring or perhaps even has her LO now!

i've emailed the only lady in my area on the hypnobirthing website and havnt heard anything back from her yet, 2 days now? wonderd if anyone knew of any alternatives? places to look for classes ect?

Wow turns out the friend who has her CS scheduled for tomorrow had her baby today! waters broke late yesterday - haven't found out if she went into hospital and had a CS or if that naughty baby turned in the end and did things properly for mummy.

I musty admit I will be jealous if she did get to do it naturally and I've already had the guilt pangs for feeling bad. I'm just pleased no matter which way it happened she got to experience some of the labour as I know she was feeling bad about not getting to if she had the scheduled CS.

i've emailed the only lady in my area on the hypnobirthing website and havnt heard anything back from her yet, 2 days now? wonderd if anyone knew of any alternatives? places to look for classes ect?

You only give her 2 days and you've got 34 weeks yet woman!!!! She might have had a Christmas holiday, be poorly with flu OR a tram might have crashed into the corner shop knocking out the power! :winkwink: Give her a flippin' chance! :tease:

Chuck I CAN NOT believe he said that :dohh: Your answer was fantastic though. I usually just grin and bear it with my midwife but I love how you actually put him in his place. He probably was not expecting that!

Bournefree that post was amazing! It's exactly everything my midwife went over with me but now I see more into why she said the things as opposed to the way she handled it which was This is what will happen, and when it does you will go to the hospital. :dohh:
I never thought about the fact that they would want to see that my DH is on board. He was here with me today and did an amazing job at helping me remember questions to ask and also supporting me in everything I said.
I got on quite well in the end. The only issue is still this whole 37 week vs 39 week thing! GRRR It's just doing my head in! I gave her the letter I wrote (thanks to the amazing ladies on here!) and she went away saying she'll see if she can get me at least 38 weeks. I was like uh NO! My right is 37 weeks LISTEN TO ME! :nope:

Zara - Give the lady a few more days to respond. She may still be busy from the holidays or she may just be back and trying to sift through the thousands of e-mails she has. haha.

And good luck Chuck and Jen!!! Remember is it all about getting the home birth you want and them helping you achieve it!! They are duty bound to tell you about any associated risks with your pregnancy (and I do mean YOURS, so make sure there is any evidence provided if you might be indicated for certain risks)

Also, make them be specific if any of the risks they mention, might be treated or managed differently in a hospital environment.

For example - the big ones are, that can apply to any birth is:
*Post-partum haemorrhage. (after your baby is born) The midwives at home (just as in hospital) will bring clotting drugs (Syntometrine or Ergometrine - this one can contract you uterus down in less that 45 seconds following IV administration) and IV fluids, but they won't be able to do a blood transfusion - you will have to transfer for that. (as you would have to be moved in hospital actually!) However, you are more likely to have a physiological 3rd stage at home (which reduces the incidence of a retained placenta), and not use these drugs to deliver the placenta, but they can be used if you have a large bleed.
*Shoulder Dystocia. But the treatment and management of this is exactly the same as in hospital - they will ask you to try and adopt an optimum position (which you are more likely to be in at home anyways - rather than on your back! This is confirmed by NICE‘s Interpartum Guidelines - where data has indicated a lower incidence of shoulder dyscocia in home births), then when all else fails (i.e reaching in a pulling baby out, next step involved is breaking the babies clavicle - just the same as in hospital, so the hospital doesn’t hold any advantage on this one.
*Failure to Progress. You are far less likely to have this problem at home - you will be more relaxed, less inhibited, and not on a time schedule, unlike in hospital, where arbitrary time limits seem to be set, and discourage and worry mothers - further compounding problems. This is the most common reason given for a necessity of a c-section. Where as the ONLY physiological reason for a failure of the cervix to dilate beyond a certain point should be cephalo-pelvic disproportion (I.e babies head is too large for your pelvis)
*Fetal distress. The only way that fetal distress is measured is with monitoring of the babies heart beat - it is worth noting that fetal monitoring is a fairly recent routine medical technology. So it is unclear whether some of the changes in fetal heart rate, are not just the normal consequences of labour for the baby, as there is little data available. (infact what has been shown is that fetal heart rate will dip in a contraction, and that is very normal) However, below 100 bpm or even over 160bmp could indicate the cord has become restricted. You will not be overly monitored at home - the mw don’t carry CGT for constant monitoring.. So it is every 5 to 15 min with a Doppler and much less restrictive! Another sign of fetal distress is meconium staining. - midwives are under instruction to take women to hospital with meconium staining - though, light or old, rather than fresh, wouldn’t be an indicator to transfer.

Sorry that all sounds really scary - but the point is.. some of the management is just the same! and there isn't a benefit to going in.. and will increase the likelihood of a c-section.

As for cord getting stuck round babies neck - that becomes more common when babies head is already descended into the birth canal, that it can come under considerable pressure, restricting blood flow to the baby. All midwives run their fingers round babies neck, once presenting, to check the cord isn't restricted. Because although, we could choke of we had something round our necks, the baby until born and the cord has stopped pulsating, is receiving all it's oxygen supply from the cord.. so it is the cord that is important to maintain continuity - not the babies neck.

At your homebirth assessment Jen, if your OH is about, they will want to hear from him that he is onboard with your homebirth plans.
Also, an almost certain and an unfortunate practice is, you will receive a letter from the senior/supervisor of midwives stating all the problems you might encounter above (and perhaps some more), and also stating that the Trust/providers might not be able to provide cover for homebirth. Don't get disheartened, it is usually a standard letter, and if you stand your ground, they will come to you. (this is from personal experience - I said to my midwife, I simply wasn't going to go in if asked on the phone without any medical reason - she kindly assured me, they would get to me hook or by crook - as I was saying I'd rather have a paramedic assist me, if they were unable, but there wasn't an ice cube in hells chance I would be moved!! hahaha)

It's a balancing act between listening to their concerns, and knowing your own mind and getting your views across. It can help to write down some reasons why home birth is for you - so it doesn't feel all doom and gloom!

Also, prepare a list of questions you would like to ask - how many midwives are on call at any one time (excluding holidays) for example? What equipment do they carry? how soon would they be able to get any equipment they don't carry as standard (extra g&a, or extra sutures etc)

Let us know how you both get on?

P.S Chuck - remember to ask your Obt if they have seen a natural birth, and when was it?
xxxx

*** Sorry Chuck just seen your update - well done you!!! xxxxx!!****

Thank you hun thats perfect, will show the husband later :)

Its hard to know where to get impartial information from, I dont just want to hear happy clappy stories, I want to hear EVERYTHING, so that I can make an informed decision that is correct for us. Only problem is that online everything is either one way or the other, there doesn't seem to be anything neutral!!

Thanks again hun xxx

You only give her 2 days and you've got 34 weeks yet woman!!!! She might have had a Christmas holiday, be poorly with flu OR a tram might have crashed into the corner shop knocking out the power! :winkwink: Give her a flippin' chance! :tease:

:rofl::rofl: i keep forgetting about these poor people and the trams oh the trams! i will give her longer but i like to keep my options open!!!! :lol: shes probably the only person for 100 square miles anyway so i'll have to choice but to wait!

Not everyone is a saddo like us and goes online every day - even when they shouldn't be lol!

:lol: i normaly have the lap top open all day in the kitchen so when im in and out cooking dinner doing washing ect im on and off! definatly a saddo! haha does this lady not know im super impatiant!!!!

I can't believe work haven't cottoned onto the fact I use the site during the day when I have a minute.

they've blocked most other social networking and fun stuff.

I come on during worktime too. We don't have anything blocked and I work the other end of the country from our HO and I'm mostly working at home right now! :rofl: My last pregnancy I couldn't manage anything hardly and just disappeared into this site.

And good luck Chuck and Jen!!! Remember is it all about getting the home birth you want and them helping you achieve it!! They are duty bound to tell you about any associated risks with your pregnancy (and I do mean YOURS, so make sure there is any evidence provided if you might be indicated for certain risks)

Also, make them be specific if any of the risks they mention, might be treated or managed differently in a hospital environment.

For example - the big ones are, that can apply to any birth is:
*Post-partum haemorrhage. (after your baby is born) The midwives at home (just as in hospital) will bring clotting drugs (Syntometrine or Ergometrine - this one can contract you uterus down in less that 45 seconds following IV administration) and IV fluids, but they won't be able to do a blood transfusion - you will have to transfer for that. (as you would have to be moved in hospital actually!) However, you are more likely to have a physiological 3rd stage at home (which reduces the incidence of a retained placenta), and not use these drugs to deliver the placenta, but they can be used if you have a large bleed.
*Shoulder Dystocia. But the treatment and management of this is exactly the same as in hospital - they will ask you to try and adopt an optimum position (which you are more likely to be in at home anyways - rather than on your back! This is confirmed by NICE‘s Interpartum Guidelines - where data has indicated a lower incidence of shoulder dyscocia in home births), then when all else fails (i.e reaching in a pulling baby out, next step involved is breaking the babies clavicle - just the same as in hospital, so the hospital doesn’t hold any advantage on this one.
*Failure to Progress. You are far less likely to have this problem at home - you will be more relaxed, less inhibited, and not on a time schedule, unlike in hospital, where arbitrary time limits seem to be set, and discourage and worry mothers - further compounding problems. This is the most common reason given for a necessity of a c-section. Where as the ONLY physiological reason for a failure of the cervix to dilate beyond a certain point should be cephalo-pelvic disproportion (I.e babies head is too large for your pelvis)
*Fetal distress. The only way that fetal distress is measured is with monitoring of the babies heart beat - it is worth noting that fetal monitoring is a fairly recent routine medical technology. So it is unclear whether some of the changes in fetal heart rate, are not just the normal consequences of labour for the baby, as there is little data available. (infact what has been shown is that fetal heart rate will dip in a contraction, and that is very normal) However, below 100 bpm or even over 160bmp could indicate the cord has become restricted. You will not be overly monitored at home - the mw don’t carry CGT for constant monitoring.. So it is every 5 to 15 min with a Doppler and much less restrictive! Another sign of fetal distress is meconium staining. - midwives are under instruction to take women to hospital with meconium staining - though, light or old, rather than fresh, wouldn’t be an indicator to transfer.

Sorry that all sounds really scary - but the point is.. some of the management is just the same! and there isn't a benefit to going in.. and will increase the likelihood of a c-section.

As for cord getting stuck round babies neck - that becomes more common when babies head is already descended into the birth canal, that it can come under considerable pressure, restricting blood flow to the baby. All midwives run their fingers round babies neck, once presenting, to check the cord isn't restricted. Because although, we could choke of we had something round our necks, the baby until born and the cord has stopped pulsating, is receiving all it's oxygen supply from the cord.. so it is the cord that is important to maintain continuity - not the babies neck.

At your homebirth assessment Jen, if your OH is about, they will want to hear from him that he is onboard with your homebirth plans.
Also, an almost certain and an unfortunate practice is, you will receive a letter from the senior/supervisor of midwives stating all the problems you might encounter above (and perhaps some more), and also stating that the Trust/providers might not be able to provide cover for homebirth. Don't get disheartened, it is usually a standard letter, and if you stand your ground, they will come to you. (this is from personal experience - I said to my midwife, I simply wasn't going to go in if asked on the phone without any medical reason - she kindly assured me, they would get to me hook or by crook - as I was saying I'd rather have a paramedic assist me, if they were unable, but there wasn't an ice cube in hells chance I would be moved!! hahaha)

It's a balancing act between listening to their concerns, and knowing your own mind and getting your views across. It can help to write down some reasons why home birth is for you - so it doesn't feel all doom and gloom!

Also, prepare a list of questions you would like to ask - how many midwives are on call at any one time (excluding holidays) for example? What equipment do they carry? how soon would they be able to get any equipment they don't carry as standard (extra g&a, or extra sutures etc)

Let us know how you both get on?

P.S Chuck - remember to ask your Obt if they have seen a natural birth, and when was it?
xxxx

*** Sorry Chuck just seen your update - well done you!!! xxxxx!!****

We've missed you on here......it's so good to have you around! :thumbup:

Chuck - You are a pretty cool cucumber with you Obst! Well done… The “pressure” can increase from the Obst as you move along - let alone if you go overdue (like I did!) But it sounds as though you will take any advice or interventions they offer sensibly with reference to how you are presenting - which is the most important thing!

Jenni -Sound like you and your husband are quite a team!.. There is some fantastic support on here, and so pleased you were able to fight your corner with regard to the 37 weeks thing.. Keep it up - Next step might be to try copying your letter to your local M.P to help you get the point across how serious you are (should rattle a few bones!)

To everyone - Please don’t let the buggers get you down though; I know it can feel like a thankless, uphill fight, when you simply don’t want to have to fight - you just want the support around you to say “yes, no problem, we will be there for you” .. but please don’t let them pressurise or deter you from what you want. I know how trying it can be, and you will always have all these lovely ladies on here to support you. You could also try contacting AIMS, or NCT might have a local Homebirth support group. We are small in number (only 2 to 4%ish, but we are passionate!)

Linzi - Impartial information is really hard sometimes, we all know that sometimes things like any natural event (small %), don’t go altogether smoothly. However, each individual does more or less have it’s own agenda.
((including me it has to be said - mine, truth be known, is to try and understand the real circumstances of childbirth, (all data and all evidence), and so weigh it all up from there. I want to get women thinking about ALL of the options available to them and question everything they are told, or think they know - sorry you got me thinking there - dangerous pastime!))
Back to what we are talking about - So there are some sites, some books that can be a little happy clappy , as you say! Hahaha! And who can blame them really, when they are faced with a tirade of propoganda (for want of a better word!), loose medical opinion - who we are taught as children to respect. However, like you it can be off putting and make you feel like you don’t really quite belong to that group either! I’m not a hippy by any means. Like you I have found like minded women on here who just need evidence, support, encouragement and knowledge, all of whom want the chance to meet there babies in an amazing and I promise you, a totally empowering way! You don’t have to be chanting through labour to have a homebirth! It could help though! ;-) Lol
I’m sorry if I keep on about it - but I did find Nicky Wesson book “HOMEBIRTH” really good for homebirth stories of all kinds.. Some really good, some unexpected, some where it totally went pear shaped! So that is pretty frank. But these women! My god, they have got something - something amazing! Even when things didn’t go to plan, they have the most outstanding attitude! Also there is clear lists of all complications.
Like most women, I want to be given the credit of intelligence to be given the full information not treated like a child, and be able to make my own decisions about my own body - it is your ultimate right.

Lisa - thank you so much. I have dearly missed just being involved in all this!! I’m so happy to be pregnant again and my homebirth passion has been reignited with fervour - I’m certainly not going to let anyone tell me they won’t let or allow me to have a homebirth - woe-be-tide the first person to say that to me - they will have an earful, as you can imagine!!!

I do have loads more things I should be doing - but as we are small in numbers in our local areas, it is only here where we can really feel like we are not bonkers, selfish, belittled, labled, or any of the other ridiculous comments we are all subject to at times!

Also I’ll try and keep my posts cut down to size (if I can!!) lol ;-)
xXx

PLEASE dont censor yourself!! I love your passion - we are women...hear us ROOOOOOAAAAR!!! :rofl: xx

Linzi if it wasent safe the NHS wouldent offer it in the first place, thats all i kept saying to OH.

I have to remember all of this information for when I go into the hospital for my booking, in Feb. I'm terrified that I will be given the 3rd degree as it is a level 3 hospital so I'm sure they have seen some terrifying things. There is no way I am going to do this appointment without my Doula.

I have to remember all of this information for when I go into the hospital for my booking, in Feb. I'm terrified that I will be given the 3rd degree as it is a level 3 hospital so I'm sure they have seen some terrifying things. There is no way I am going to do this appointment without my Doula.

Rmar - how is the homebirth situation in Oz at the moment? As I know the government wanted to have all MWs registered and part of registration is they have to have independant liability insurance, (fair enough) but, the insurance companies were making this almost impossible or prohibitive (as the government wouldn't fund insurance for private midwives, or when state midwives worked outside of a hospital. Hospital MWs are funded, and most other healthcare professionals) - so in a round about way making homebirth almost illegal?! Has the situation improved? I'm aware there was a 2 year deadline set in 2009, which would been up in Nov 2010?

What provisions are you making for your homebirth plans.. have you found a midwife? Or will you be going for an unassisted delivery/free birth? It's horrible that homebirth is becoming so marginalised It really should be a womens physological autonomy right to give birth, anywhere she pleases, and with assistance of her government to help ensure her safty. I'm in no doubt that totally unassisted could be a higher risk than many women are prepared to take, and thereby forcing these women into hospital.

xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->