Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I hope next time to stay at home. I won't be asking for sweeps because I'm worried that I may go "overdue" - if I do, I do and will just do expectant management. And no internals unless I ask for them.

What is expectant management?

Instead of agreeing to induction, you go in for intermittent monitoring (can include listening to baby's heartbeat, CTG, scan to check water levels, etc) and just wait for nature to do its thing.

Hi!

Jst though id come join in here as im hoping for a homebirth this time. This will be my third baby and first two births, although painful! Went well and were straightforward so id really like to do this one at home. I was booked for a HB last time but i got a bit nervous on last min and ended up going hospital, i did most of the labour at home but did go in for the birth.

My iron has been very low so hoping that doesnt stop my HB plans. When did you all book it with midwife? My midwife doesnt seem very interested in anything i ask, im in and out within minutes. I tried to discuss options at my 27 week appt but all i got was 'Its too early to discuss the birth and if you dont get your iron up you can forget a homebirth anyway'

I dont see her again now til 34 weeks, is this too late? Can i still say then that i want a home birth? Im a bit scared of my midwife, shes not caring at all and i feel a bit stupid when i ask questions as she isnt interested, like because its my third i should just get on with it without needing to ask anything :dohh:

I recommend to anyone who'll listen to take Spatone for low iron. It's an iron rich water from Snowdonia, you can get it from Boots. With low iron you take two sachets a day - just add it to a glass of OJ - and it's tonnes more effective than prescription tablets and has no side effects. I ditched my iron tablets completely last pregnancy after seeing very little effect in my bloods but the Spatone increased then after a week or so to normal levels. I was also anaemic before TTC this time after months of hideous periods but my bloods at booking in were normal from taking Spatone.

I've been recommended asking my mw to book in a home visit, an hour or so, to go through my birth plan. There are some complications for me but it sounds like your ms is too busy too give you enough time at your routine appointments.

Welcome Anababe :flower: I too recommend SpaTone and also Floradix. I liked Spatone personally washed down with some OJ.

Low iron is a grey area. Because you have 40-60% more blood volume when pregnant the HB count is 'diluted' as such. There are some studies (one in the BMJ) that sugest the optimal level in late pregnancy is around 9.5.

Here are a couple of good links re 'low' iron.

https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/nutrition.html#Anemia

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

They can advise and of course you would never be reckless but it's YOUR choice and you can make an informed decision.

Enjoy planning your home birth! x

Thankyou :flower:

Im going to try the spatone. Im struggling with the tablets, they make me very sick so i havent been taking them as i should. I think my iron was up a little to 10.1 with my last bloods and im sure it needs to be up to 10.5 for a home birth.. if i remember right from my last pregnancy as i only got it high enough right on last minute.. I could be wrong though!

I will contact them to arrange a home visit and take it from there. Getting nervous now, its gone so quick cant believe how close i am!

Thinking of getting a doula this time too, as i only have my dad as birth partner and as wonderful as he is he gets very upset seeing me in pain bless him and i think it would be nice for me having another woman there to help me through the labour!

Its all so exciting :D

Im going to try the spatone. Im struggling with the tablets, they make me very sick so i havent been taking them as i should. I think my iron was up a little to 10.1 with my last bloods and im sure it needs to be up to 10.5 for a home birth.. if i remember right from my last pregnancy as i only got it high enough right on last minute.. I could be wrong though!

I will contact them to arrange a home visit and take it from there. Getting nervous now, its gone so quick cant believe how close i am!

Thinking of getting a doula this time too, as i only have my dad as birth partner and as wonderful as he is he gets very upset seeing me in pain bless him and i think it would be nice for me having another woman there to help me through the labour!

I think that's a great idea Anababe. It'll really allow your dad to be there for you and not worry about the logistics of anything.

Anababe said:

I'm having a doula for the same reasons, my mum or sister will be my birthing partner and seen as I no my sister and mum will be no use sat in tears I need a partner who will have done it all before so I get the extra support

sorry what? I'm just stating the correct information. I'm passionate about women being informed about their choices and having all the up to date info is a big part of this.

Your replies come across a bit curt and brusque. Like some midwives and doctors I've met. Just my observation! :flower:

well tone tends to be lost in text, not really nice to tar all mws and dr's with the same brush is it? you have never met me at all.
I thought this would be somewhere I could be accepted and coverse with women in my situation (as a mother planning a homebirt) as I'm not really in my training hosptial due to my 'with woman' views. I guess I was wrong, what a shame.

It's only ME that made the obsvervation. I think you're right that things do get lost in text sometimes. Obviously I can only go off the way I read it. Sorry if you're offended it wasn't my intention!

Where would be the best place to find a Doula? Its not something ive thought about before, i didnt even know what one was until a few months ago :blush: x

The two places to search are The Doula Directory and Find a Doula on Doula UK - here are the links x

Doula Directory

Doula UK

You can google too obviously. The two searches will only have doulas listed that are trained to the standards set out by Doula UK who are the professional association of doulas in the UK. x

I hope next time to stay at home. I won't be asking for sweeps because I'm worried that I may go "overdue" - if I do, I do and will just do expectant management. And no internals unless I ask for them.

What is expectant management?

Instead of agreeing to induction, you go in for intermittent monitoring (can include listening to baby's heartbeat, CTG, scan to check water levels, etc) and just wait for nature to do its thing.

Quite - I just wanted to say that Luna and I both read the same NICE guidelines, and come out with different points. I'm not having a go Luna, honestly :hugs: (just want to make sure it is presented in a balanced way)

My point was that although after 24hrs of ruptured membranes your healthcare professional can offer an induction - it is NOT a specific clinical necessity (esp when weighing up the associated risks) The other option is clearly stated too - of expectant management upto 96hours. (I know this is in your quote, but your focus wasn't on it)

We have to be careful here not to start using the language that we all hate, such as "They will NOT ALLOW you to go over 24hrs" As the NICE guidelines DON'T say that at all! The black leter of the guidelines have to be read carefully.

I would be interested how many women are offered the expectant management?

I'd be interested to know how many know what it is! I certainly didn't until the explanation above and was also going to post to ask!

Hi!

Jst though id come join in here as im hoping for a homebirth this time. This will be my third baby and first two births, although painful! Went well and were straightforward so id really like to do this one at home. I was booked for a HB last time but i got a bit nervous on last min and ended up going hospital, i did most of the labour at home but did go in for the birth.

My iron has been very low so hoping that doesnt stop my HB plans. When did you all book it with midwife? My midwife doesnt seem very interested in anything i ask, im in and out within minutes. I tried to discuss options at my 27 week appt but all i got was 'Its too early to discuss the birth and if you dont get your iron up you can forget a homebirth anyway'

I dont see her again now til 34 weeks, is this too late? Can i still say then that i want a home birth? Im a bit scared of my midwife, shes not caring at all and i feel a bit stupid when i ask questions as she isnt interested, like because its my third i should just get on with it without needing to ask anything :dohh:

Welcome Anababe!!!
I don't think that 27 weeks is too early to talk about homebirth - you undoubtably have lots of questions to ask your MW, and they should be listening to you!

But also, I don't think that 34 weeks is too late - you could decide to have any type of birth you like even at the point of labour.. although it really would be helpful for you to feel that your mw is on board or if is something that her or people in her team have experienced!

If you really hit brick walls with your particular mw, you could always be asked to be seen by another. I would broach it in this way first and give her a chance to redeem your faith "I mentioned at our last appointment that I was interested in a homebirth, and you gave me the impression that you didn't want to discuss it with me, as you said it was too soon. I disagree with you reasons. This is something that I'm really interested in, and would appreciate if you could take the time to explain your experience and understanding of homebirth, and if you have none, be kind enough to let me see a mw who does have the appropriate knowledge"

That might get your mw's back up - but there will be little choice but to listen to you and gather the information you need from them, ready for your next appointment.
xXx

I'd be interested to know how many know what it is! I certainly didn't until the explanation above and was also going to post to ask!

Absolutly agree!! I mean, how on earth can you be expected to make choices, if they are simply not on offer, or even explained?! Bonkers! :dohh:

Sorry ladies - I just have to explain why I'm posting all over the place, when I should have more of a life on a Sunday afternoon!!!; My DD is asleep, my OH has escaped to the pub to watch football.. (he "booked it in early, so that's ok ;-) hahaha!) ...so this is my current distraction! And it is much more intellectually entertaining than any number of domestic things I can't be arsed to do, or the dreaded tv~!

I managed to get both babies in bed at the same time, dinner in the crock pot and hubby planning lessons in the other room so I am all about the laptop for an hour!! :D

Jumping back 2 days re waters going. Mine went at 35 weeks and i wasent booked in for induction for another 2 weeks, they dident even scan me to see how much was left. Luckily she came on her own 2 days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->