Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

lol, think mine is too! definately get much more movement right down low! midwife today said she didn't care at the moment, plenty of time to turn :D xx

I've got another lo here who is loving bouncing up and down on my cervix as well!

Welcome Meg - I've added you to the first page - best wishes for a beautiful homebirth!

ohh im having a panic night tonight! i know iv got months to decided what i want to do but theres a HUGE part of me, not just a huge part pretty much ALL of the that soooo wants to have this baby at home, and then i'm the stupid one who keeps coming up with the what if's i live soooo far from a hospital! we have a birthing center a few miles away but thats no different to being at home! im going round and round at the moment with what if this happens what if that happens, i was so disappointed i went to hospital with harry i really don't want that again but i'm scared what if something happens and it could have been prevented in hospital!!?

I'm going to say to you what the MW said to my OH when he said 'what if something goes wrong'......

Like what exactly? Serious question.....like what?

ohh im having a panic night tonight! i know iv got months to decided what i want to do but theres a HUGE part of me, not just a huge part pretty much ALL of the that soooo wants to have this baby at home, and then i'm the stupid one who keeps coming up with the what if's i live soooo far from a hospital! we have a birthing center a few miles away but thats no different to being at home! im going round and round at the moment with what if this happens what if that happens, i was so disappointed i went to hospital with harry i really don't want that again but i'm scared what if something happens and it could have been prevented in hospital!!?

How far away are you from a hospital Zara? We live an hours drive from a hospital (well, probably a bit quicker by ambulance) and I discussed this with my midwife a while ago....basically their approach was that IF something comes up that means I may need to transfer, they will just make the call a bit earlier than they would if we had a hospital just down the road. Usually there is plenty of time to tell whether a transfer is neccessary...and even if you are close to a hospital and end up needing an intervention like a c-section, it takes the hospital some time to prep for the operation - it's not like it all happens immediately. I know of some women who have gone into hospital for a c-section and then have had to wait until the room/Drs are ready....
Also, midwifes do carry equipment and have the skills to deal with most issues that may arise..

I totally understand feeling a bit nervous about it all! I felt a lot better about it after discussing it with my midwife and hearing their approach. I'm sure a lot of people have their babies in the birthing centre near to you - and as you say, that's basically the same as having the baby at home in terms of interventions that they can perform.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I understand!

cord prolapse, really thats the only thing im worryed about! and i wasnt worryed about it untill i read the "what if" part of the home birth uk website! now im terrified! im like 21 miles away down country roads from the hospital!! they recon even from the birthing center its at least a 45 min transfer time! as for other things like cord round the neck and not breathing at birth, im not worryed about them because that was charlie and he was born in a birthing center with just one midwife chirs and my mam and i didnt even know that i had no option of a dr! (but thats a diffrent story!), im not worryed about them getting stuck because iv had two come out already :lol: im not worryed about needed asisited delivery or emergancy c-section because i know i can do it, but its things that are beyond me that i worry about!

It's natural to have these thought Zara. I'm sure you had them with your others too, as you are a caring mummy.

But you will be astounded at all the equipment your MW can bring! Mine even had a little portable incubator, and resuss equipment for both baby and me- I had no idea of all the stuff (and in a way I'm glad I didn't!), but this could reassure you. Perhaps you could ask your MW about what Equip they carry, or can get hold of and what would they do in these circumstances if they arrise?
Also, I'm sure just as a practical measure, any transfer times will be taken into account with your labour.
Some GPs are trained to also attend HB - you could find out the possibility of an on call Dr. Some districts have this setup in there local areas, when you live right out in the sticks.
Finding out as much as you can, might put your mind at rest.
xXx

What they said. Wibbles are a part of the process. I've had them on and off throughout the pregnancy despite having had a fantastic home birth before and no real problems. Fortunately now that we're in the final stretch I seem to have found that calm, confident earth-mothery feeling and am just looking forward to it now. I think having booked the IM helps a lot with that though, knowing that I'm 100% supported by her, our doula and my sister and partner (who were both at my last birth). And we're all women - another women-only birth for me. :) We just had an antenatal appointment this evening. She was here for a very enjoyable three hours which did include all the antenatal stuff but also great conversation on all kinds of topics and lots of laughter that could have gone on for much longer if it hadn't started getting so late. That kind of service makes such a difference. We may be going into debt to pay for it but I can honestly say there is nothing I value more highly right now than the faith we have in the care myself and this baby are getting.

Hi Cathy - Gina from NB here. :)

Best wishes to all,

Gina. x

Zara thats exactly the thing Keith was worried about but its incredibly rare and more likely to happen under certain circumstances which in themselves are unusual. Talk to your MW. Ask her how many she's had to deal with. My MW reassured Keith massively x

yeah i'll talk to her about it i think, i'v got ages like, im sure its not realy something they worry about given that they deliver most of the babys for about 10square miles in there little tiny maternity unit!

if you're 45 mins from a hospital, I'd say you are actually safer PLANNING a HB and then changing your mind on the day than not. That way everything is there for you in the event of a quick one ;)

Hi Gina! :)

I'm getting my birth pool delivered on Friday- woot!

And although I've known about it for ages, I am only just considering placenta encapsulation... I have been on anti-depressants for 12 years due to depression/anxiety and came off the drugs when I found out I was pregnant (under the guidance/supervision of my GP). I have done Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and have been seeing a homeopath during my pregnancy as well, but am very aware (and scared) of postpartum depression. My own homeopath seems to think that since my pre-pregnancy depression wasn't hormone-related, that it's "unlikely" that PPD will affect me, but I don't quite understand that logic...

Also, I had a breast reduction 8 years ago and I know that placenta can help with milk production. Due to the length of time since the surgery and with a lot of positive signs that my milk production will be ok (boobs have grown 4 sizes, lots of blue veins, darkened areolas, leaking colostrum at night, and am able to manually express 4ml of colostrum per day- putting it in the freezer "just in case", under the guidance of a LLL leader).... I guess any extra help wouldn't go amiss, though! I know about galactagogues for increasing milk supply and I have a Supplementary Nursing System just in case, but heck, if my own placenta can give me a fighting chance at exclusively BFing, then maybe I should seriously consider this!

Anyone out there thinking of encapsulation? Gina, I know you did a lotus birth with your DD#1, you thinking of doing the same this time?

Zara my husband is the same just keeps saying "what if something happens?" and I just say "well, like what?" and he goes "I don't knowwwww but things happen don't they"

I understand your nerves coz I feel the same too at times, have a good chat with your midwife about it :) Where is your nearest hospital to where you are? Ashington? xx

And although I've known about it for ages, I am only just considering placenta encapsulation... I have been on anti-depressants for 12 years due to depression/anxiety and came off the drugs when I found out I was pregnant (under the guidance/supervision of my GP). I have done Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and have been seeing a homeopath during my pregnancy as well, but am very aware (and scared) of postpartum depression. My own homeopath seems to think that since my pre-pregnancy depression wasn't hormone-related, that it's "unlikely" that PPD will affect me, but I don't quite understand that logic...

Also, I had a breast reduction 8 years ago and I know that placenta can help with milk production. Due to the length of time since the surgery and with a lot of positive signs that my milk production will be ok (boobs have grown 4 sizes, lots of blue veins, darkened areolas, leaking colostrum at night, and am able to manually express 4ml of colostrum per day- putting it in the freezer "just in case", under the guidance of a LLL leader).... I guess any extra help wouldn't go amiss, though! I know about galactagogues for increasing milk supply and I have a Supplementary Nursing System just in case, but heck, if my own placenta can give me a fighting chance at exclusively BFing, then maybe I should seriously consider this!

Anyone out there thinking of encapsulation? Gina, I know you did a lotus birth with your DD#1, you thinking of doing the same this time?

Hi pimento! I don't know a lot personally about encapsulation but there was a discussion about it a while ago here, where people shared their experiences and how to do it - it might be helpful to look at if you haven't already? :flower:

Here is the link:

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/449569-you-doing-placenta.html

Yep, it'll be another lotus birth for us - assuming all goes well. We're always open to having to change our stance on that if something necessitates cutting the cord but the chances of that are fairly slim. We have the colander, bowl, sea salt and lavender oil at the ready. I've nearly finished making the bag for it too, though we won't need it until after it detaches. We found bamboo/terry nappies were the easiest thing to wrap it in last time and we've got tons of them.

I do really like the idea of encapsulation and have had several clients do it and swear by it. I'd certainly be torn between the two options if I had any health issues that might be helped by it. It certainly sounds as though it's well worth looking into for you. :) However, it also sounds as though things are looking very positive on the BF front already, regardless of what you do with your placenta.

Gina. x

Gina did you find it got in the way (sorry to derail) those few days it was still attached? Did it smell at all? Other than 'birthy'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->