Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Congrats pinkie!! And yes gina I have two babies born on the 15th so I totally agree!

Congrats Pinkie!

Did anyone catch the BF'ing item oh BBC breakfast? They had IM Virginia Howes on supporting exclusive BF'ing after this research has come out https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12180052 she was speaking alongside a woman who kept saying babies dont need to feed over night, many mothers cannot make enough make so early weaning is a good thing?! We don'[t live in a third world country afterall.

WTF???

Why does that seem to fly in the face of oh I dont know....only evolution?!

I didnt even BF for various reasons (mostly lack of support and the EMCS after effects) but still I firmly believe the exclusive BF'ing for 6 months must be best for baby!

Oooo! How exciting Pinky!!! Really looking forward to your birth story. (when you get a chance) Huge congraulations!

and Snagglepat - I do think 15th Jan has a ring to it!.. but so does the 14th! ;-)
Glad you feel more rested today.. so perhaps this is the day>!?

Chuck - I was watching BBC breakfast! It's a confusing madness isn't it, guidelines change all the time it seems (lots has changed even in the year that I have had my DD!)

For me, I'd would just say go with what you feel is best and what your baby is telling you. If they are restless, not sleeping (and that doesn't have to be through the night - like one lady said), then you take action to meet your babies needs - more feeds, or larger feeds more spread appart, whether that is breast, formular or food. Let your body and baby tell you. Personally regardless of changing advice, I wouldn't feel comfortable with weaning at 4 months. They do need time to learn how to eat, and babies first foods, are not all that calorific, they are just a learning tool.. so can't see that it would help all that much with getting the nutrition in, and satisfying your baby (at first)

How are women (esp worried first time mums), meant to know what to do for their babies, when even the "experts" can't agree - I say trust your instinct (it has never let me down, or suddently changed it's mind!), whatever that maybe.
xXx

They are talking about the 6 months breast debate on Wrightstuff on 5 now - not that is the most informative source to decide what to do, but I'm interested to hear what real women think about this.

Congratulations pinkie!

I read the article in the Guardian on the BF subject. The researchers it seems have not done new research but reanalysed existing work. On the basis that this must have been analysed over and over to have come to the conclusion of BF for 6 months I don't see that it is going to be a recognised challenge by itself. I would like to be able to read the review.

I agree with Bournefree, what's really important is doing what your baby tells you it needs. Perhaps the best recommendations would be to help educate parents in bonding and understanding their babies.

We didn't wean until I think it was a week before 6 months and I have to say even two months in a good number of foods would coming out completely undigested so I agree that the liklihood of getting much nutrition in by weaning even earlier seems slim. From what I read in the Guardian the main focus seemed to be on iron - speculation in the UK as we don't test babies for their iron levels so I can't imagine what evidence might be here that our babies are necessarily anaemic if BF. They Guardian article cited a recommendation to include meat so mums like me who are veggie, BF to 6 months and raise their babies veggie clearly ought to have their children taken into care! Maybe it's because I am veggie but the thought of a 4 year old eating meat really grosses me out.

Did anyone catch the BF'ing item oh BBC breakfast? They had IM Virginia Howes on supporting exclusive BF'ing after this research has come out https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12180052 she was speaking alongside a woman who kept saying babies dont need to feed over night, many mothers cannot make enough make so early weaning is a good thing?! We don'[t live in a third world country afterall.
Exactly, we don't, which is why our nutrition is so good our BM is probably particularly excellent!

I just cant believe she said it!! Such a silly statement in so many ways.

It shows complete and utter ignorance of the process of BF and milk production that's for sure.

Totally! ^^

I think the important thing to remember is that it is just comment (no data, or guidelines yet) - and the issue is about when to wean, not breast v formula.

There are so many variables involved in whether a child has or ends up with an allergy..(such as; Pre-natal nutrition, mum's nutrition post-nataly, genetic susceptibility, environment) I think it would be very hard to produce any definitive results.

As for being Vegi; almost all vegi mums I know are very aware of there own diet and getting enough of what they need including iron, why would this be suddenly different for your baby? ;-)
xXx

HI :wave:

just popping in to say hi :) I am now 37 weeks and hoping for a home birth. i had my last baby at a midwife unit which was lovely but this isn't available now so have gone one step further and booked a homebirth. I am also reading hypnobirthing, mongan method so fx it is going to be a lovely, relaxed experience (if the builders have gone by then, but that's another story!! :dohh:)

Clare x

Hey Claire, welcome!
So it won't be long for you now! If, as you say the builders are gone! Though I can imagine scaffolding handy to hang on to in labour..
What work are you having done on your place~?
xXx

Hey Claire, welcome!
So it won't be long for you now! If, as you say the builders are gone! Though I can imagine scaffolding handy to hang on to in labour..
What work are you having done on your place~?
xXx

Thank you !

We are having french doors in the dining room, the floor leveled in dining room and kitchen then retiled :) they did the doors last year but started the floor yesterday :dohh: so those 2 rooms out of action and all the furniture from the dining room in the lounge!! It could be worse though.

Both my girls were late so it SHOULD be done in time, i have told baby that she needs to stay in until at least due date and she IS a good girl :)

whatever will be will be....but big fingers crossed!

HI :wave:

just popping in to say hi :) I am now 37 weeks and hoping for a home birth. i had my last baby at a midwife unit which was lovely but this isn't available now so have gone one step further and booked a homebirth. I am also reading hypnobirthing, mongan method so fx it is going to be a lovely, relaxed experience (if the builders have gone by then, but that's another story!! :dohh:)

Clare x

Hey Claire!! Was wondering when I would see you over here :)

Just wanted to let you all know I did it!!! I GOT MY 37 WEEKS!!! I'll post more in my thread about it so I don't take up this.

I'm thinking tomorrow would be a good day to have a baby. Jan 15th has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Gina.

It's my birthday, so it's a wonderful day of course!

Re: this early weaning business in the news - The researchers (three out of four of them, I believe) have been funded by formula and baby food manufacturers, so taking this with a massive pinch of salt. Regardless of what any study says though, certainly it makes sense that a baby is ready for solids when they can feed them to themselves. And on BBC Radio 5 Live, the NCT spokesperson just reiterated that delayed cord clamping helped increase iron stores. I also learned from a consultant midwife where I work that, when immediate clamping is necessary, cord milking should be done (and our hospital has a guideline to that affect).

And sort of off-topic, but someone mentioned Virginia Howes. Some of the student midwives that have been placed on my unit recently are in the same set as her daughter. I'd love to have her as my IM when we're lucky enough to have baby two.

Congratulations Pinkie!
And congrats to all the ladies that have had good news :) sounds like everyone is having a positive day!
I think it was PB who said it, but the advice I give to any first time mums is to trust their instincts. If I remember right, Maddy started showing intrest in food at about 5 months - but that was just tiny bits of finger food ( banana etc.) that generally ended up on her face and on the floor, she had fun with it tho! :)

Welcome lucky3!

:happydance: Jenni

Manda - I read that in the Guardian too. But they are just a team of scientists and this research was MRC funded (that was what was implied anyway, if not then they have been MRC funded on other child nutrition studies). Whilst I accept a certain degree of healthy scepticism, as a scientist I do feel obliged to be open minded as wherever the money comes from a respectable scientist will not falsify results and WILL be found out if they do.

But yes, the article was very clear that the team support weaning after 4 months and there was no mention of formula at all, except to state explicitly that this was about weaning to solids not formula.

My midwife just called me to remind that if I want the morphine I need to speak to my GP by the beginning of next week. ](*,) OMG!!! Have I not said at least 4 times to her "I don't want the morphine in the house!"

We're allowed morphine at home? Hubby might just need it lol!

Yes you can get the pethidine shot at home but have to get a GP's prescription. It's going to be the same as with my antibiotics I think. But you can't go back in a pool for 2 hours if you have it as it makes you drowsy. I would actually consider it again if I am in labour a really long time again and the MW could be fairly confident I wasn't about to delivery any time soon. If it could help me sleep and get through a long labour without finding my way into hospital it would be worth it.

I doubt I'll have a pool, hubby really isnt up for one in the house and I have too many fights on my hands as it is making sure I get a HB and he supports it, hmmm maybe i'll take the option of having it there but insist it isnt offered I have to ask.

I'm certain the pethadine, hormone drip, morphine, epi, spinal etc did not help my recovery or attempts to BF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->