Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Yes you can get the pethidine shot at home but have to get a GP's prescription. It's going to be the same as with my antibiotics I think. But you can't go back in a pool for 2 hours if you have it as it makes you drowsy. I would actually consider it again if I am in labour a really long time again and the MW could be fairly confident I wasn't about to delivery any time soon. If it could help me sleep and get through a long labour without finding my way into hospital it would be worth it.

See my fear is once I take the morphine it's only a short time after until I go into hospital because I'll be so drowsy I won't be in the pool and I' won't be able to stand up. I know myself well enough to know if it's there though I'll probably take it. So I don't want it in the house. If it's not there then my brain just knows I have to cope. One of the main reason I don't want to be in the hospital. If it's there I'll take it! I'm weak willed in the end. hahaha. That's not to say I'll be in much pain, but if I stubb my toe and someone offered me morphine I'd probably take it. :rofl:

i had pethidine with my last 2 so had assumed i might have it again. The midwife said i can get it on prescription but the mid wife attending may refuse to give it :shrug: so wondering whether to bother even obtaining it? I guess it's a good psychological back up.

That makes total sense Jenni. :thumbup: I had pethidine in my last birth so I'm fairly confident about how I will react to it. I noticed zero pain relief from it. It slowed down my contractions which were just starting to pick up and I began to fall asleep even as my pulse was being taken. It was too late for it to boost my energy in the context of my last labour but I could see how it might have a use this time if things take a long time. My plan is to sleep as much as possible when contractions first start. Last time I didn't through a combination of Byron suddenly moving less so having to go in to be checked and the general excitement of being in labour. It was a mistake and I know that now. I am so keen on the pool though that I think that will outweigh the liklihood of my taking pethidine. I've already read quite a few things on here I didn't know about how to use the water for pain relief (like pouring over back/bump) that I hope it will really help.

Welcome Lucky3 :hi:

Chuck you need to get your OH sorted out!! This is YOUR birth and you keep saying, you cant do this and that because of him! NO WAY JOSE!! Seriously, it's good if you can agree but you seem like FAR FAR too much is on his say so. This is one time in your life when it really IS ALL. ABOUT. YOU. :winkwink:

chris has come up with his "problems" not problems as such but his what if's, and im actually supprised they are alot less negative that i thought they would be but...what IF the baby is breech? and what if i go over due, ok, i will go over due, i always do but what if i go past the 14 days? :) anyone care to help?

With my first, I asked my MW about getting a script. I shocked her a little (I had spent most of my time with her, telling her how confident I was, and it was my body my choices etc, etc), she never really expected me to ask. She quesitoned why I would want it, now when I said before that I didn't - but it was first time nerves..! I didn't really know what I wanted it for!

So needless to say, I decided that I didn't have my strong enough reasons or desires for getting it - so didn't. I'm glad that I didn't. I was just trying to use it as an emotional crutch - I had so many better ways of handling labour, than that; I had just forgotten about them at that moment! lol

From others' stories; it has been said it can just make you feel out of it.. though, I know that it has been used successfully to help women sleep - but there is more of a need in a hospital environment for this. In your own home and own bed, if you are tired, you will sleep, as you are far more likely to be relaxed.

I used a hot bath to relax and sleep in. (early labour) that was bliss!
So it's a no from me..
xXx

You'll know in advance usually if they are breech and can do things to turn it. If you go over due, nothing changes and after 14 days you can have daily monitoring until you pop!

but! what if it doesn't turn! obviously a home birth would be out of the question? i have kinda thought about this actually, i haven't read up about it very much and i don't intend to unless i need too but i think i would still go for a natural birth just in hospital :-/ were do they do daily monitoring? hospital or birthing center? remember im miles away from the hospital! im not to fussed with going over due i know they all come out sooner or later! chris just see's the 14 days overdue, go to hospital be induced *Rolls eyes*

chris has come up with his "problems" not problems as such but his what if's, and im actually supprised they are alot less negative that i thought they would be but...what IF the baby is breech? and what if i go over due, ok, i will go over due, i always do but what if i go past the 14 days? :) anyone care to help?

If you and your OH know that you go over your "estimated" due date, then if you get to 2 weeks after your EDD, you have to make a decision about what you are happest doing. You will be offered scans to check the placenta, and pools of amino, monitoring, induction. You could go for a sweep initally - this has helped get lots of babies moving

If you and baby and fit healthy and well, then I don't see why you can't wait further - esp knowing how your previous labours have been.

It is really upto you, and you can only make your desicions, based on how you feel at the time.

Remember the your EDD is just that "estimated" They might as well call it your guess date!
XxX

but! what if it doesn't turn! obviously a home birth would be out of the question? i have kinda thought about this actually, i haven't read up about it very much and i don't intend to unless i need too but i think i would still go for a natural birth just in hospital :-/ were do they do daily monitoring? hospital or birthing center? remember im miles away from the hospital! im not to fussed with going over due i know they all come out sooner or later! chris just see's the 14 days overdue, go to hospital be induced *Rolls eyes*

That's actually a good question to talk about with your midwife when the time comes. Sadly in my area if my LO for some reason goes breech it's into the hospital for me. No one in the area is even remotely trained to deliver a breech baby. It's doable though, so you can chat with your midwife over if that's an option. If not well then you can try a natural birth in the hospital if they have someone who is trained. If not, it's just he luck of the draw I suppose. Just stay off your back, dont't lean back on your couch and sleep on your left side, she's bound to do what she's told, hahaha.

well the last two sprogglets were head down from about 20 weeks and stayed that way so it isn't really something we've ever been worried with but ya know these things can happen! I'm really trying to arm my self with as much info as i can before i see my midwife on Tuesday and she asks me where i want to deliver this baby, although they are really good they don't really like to send women to hospital they do like to keep them at the birthing center and for me its just pointless id rather be at home than there! plus they have no birthing pool and i don't care how big there bath is :rofl: as for going over my EDD then i think that really is something we'll have to think about, I'm a big planner and i like to know what I'm going to do well before i do it so i really want to have everything thought out! although i know it doesn't always go to plan, i don't want an induction and i know that will be point blank refused even at th first suggestion, as for sweeps well, charlie came naturally at 5 days "overdue" with no sweeps but harry came reluctantly at 10 days "overdue" after 4 sweeps! all 4 of which were pretty much usless, they started on me a 39 weeks due to spd and the fact i was determined not to be induced! i think this tI'me i'll be taking a much more relaxed approach to it, hey if the baby isn't here 5 days after his EDD then we'll just wait a little longer! i might well end up with a 10lb baby but we'll all be happy! :lol: the nice thing about having such a naive husband is he doesn't really know the "risks" involved in things like breech delivery and going well overdue, i say risks because thats what the dr will say all he knows is what he sees from the midwifes and hears from other people and that is if your baby is breech you need a c-section and if your over due you need inducing, it will be nice too let hI'm know exactly what you ladys have said! thank you!!!

Well, everything is pretty much set. I'll be full-term on Monday. Had my pool delivered today. MW came by to do the assessment and left the home birth kit. Sent off my placental encapsulation forms. Did my music playlists today- one list for relaxing, one for energy. Have my last NCT class tomorrow. Have my first doula antenatal meeting on Sunday. Going to practice blowing up and filling the pool on Sunday. Going to re-read my birth preferences and might make some small changes to it.

Chugging RLT, taking Starflower orally and vaginally. Not doing the perineal massage as regularly as I should, though.

Just need to buy some cheap towels and plastic covers and make sure the freezer is well stocked with food.

Overwhelmed? A little. Anxious? Just a tad. Excited? Yes. (I think). So many emotions!

Cathy you'll boss it as my teen daughter says !

Zara how about you sit back and enjoy planning for everthibg to go perfectly and cross any other bridges as you arrive at them. Chillax woman!! :lol:

Hope I can come join you ladies :) I won't be able to actually have a home birth as my insurance won't cover it BUT I'm delivering at an independent birth center which really is a lot like a home haha, just wish it was MY home, but it's ok :) I LOVE my midwife, she is the only one that even works there, runs it all on her own. It will be my first all natural birth.

I'm Beth, 24yrs old and have 3 little boys now. Landon is 7, Casen is 5 and Hayden is 3. I'm pregnant with our 4th, and last baby, due in June. We find out on Monday what we are having!

Hiya Beth!! Welcome!
Your MW runs her own birth centre! That's pretty cool!

Thanks ladies :)

Yeah she runs it completely on her own, which I really like because she has the same beliefs as me so even though I can't do it at home this is def the next best place. This will be my 2nd VBAC and I'm glad she treats me like any other patient not like my uterus might just explode at any second like I was treated last time lol.

Beth my friend so nice to see you here and I KNOW you are 100% home birther in spirit!! Darn insurance!! Welcome honey xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->