Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I borrowed the AIMS booklet entitled "Choosing a Homebirth" (an excerpt of which is here: https://www.aims.org.uk/hbchoose.htm) and made DH read it. He said after reading it, he doesn't understand why anyone would willingly go into hospital to have a baby!

My hypno practioner gave us loads of her AIMS books to read up on while we were in the middle of sessions. These really helped DH see the positive side of things as well. His biggest issue was PPH for some reason. But after he read the one about the placenta he was much happier with the decision to stay here.

These books also helped me feel more confident about my rights. I thought they were invaluable.

I borrowed the AIMS booklet entitled "Choosing a Homebirth" (an excerpt of which is here: https://www.aims.org.uk/hbchoose.htm) and made DH read it. He said after reading it, he doesn't understand why anyone would willingly go into hospital to have a baby!

My hypno practioner gave us loads of her AIMS books to read up on while we were in the middle of sessions. These really helped DH see the positive side of things as well. His biggest issue was PPH for some reason. But after he read the one about the placenta he was much happier with the decision to stay here.

These books also helped me feel more confident about my rights. I thought they were invaluable.

I love this excerpt from the AIMS site: As I think far to often the psychological aspects of birth are just dismissed, and they are so very important, and as unfortunately some of you know, any psychological wounds are more painful and can take far longer heal. I'm sorry to repeat myself, but I was shocked when listening to radio4's women's hour, when they said they biggest killer of mothers.. (pregnant and post-natal) is suicide! That is horribly tragic. So it isn’t really the “what if’s” that are the biggest danger in having a child.. But the mind of the mother who needs to be nurtured and relaxed.

“Hospital birth also increases the risk of the emotional/psychological disruption of being in an unfamiliar institution. It is well documented that other mammals, when disturbed in their nests in labour or moved to unfamiliar surroundings, have longer labours with more complications. Entering hospital undermines a woman's need to feel safe, secure and in familiar surroundings. This in turn interferes with her ability to relax and ultimately give herself up to the experience of birth. This 'letting go' - the ability to respond to a deep, instinctive knowledge of how to give birth to your baby - is an important part of letting the birth process unfold a smoothly and safely as possible.”
XxX

Feeling some funny twinges in/around my cervical area today... hmmm....

I think niggles are a lovely positive sign that your baby is edging slowly Earthside :cloud9: Some women dont get anything but that doesnt mean nothing is happening. When you do it's exciting and reassuring too x

Do you think your cervix is softening!
You could always have a feel yourself - I did! Hey everyone else likes to get up there, so why not you?!

Get into a squat, clean your hands obv, you might need some jelly (depends on how you feel) and then it is really easy to touch your cervix. should be less than an index finger length away. Don't worry about doing any damage (of course you're not going to be heavy handed with yourself! and never do this if your waters are gone!)
But it is really interesting! You can feel the length, and how spongy it is!
I'm just weird, aren’t I - I know it!
xXx

You could always have a feel yourself - I did! Hey everyone else likes to get up there, so why not you?!

Get into a squat, clean your hands obv, you might need some jelly (depends on how you feel) and then it is really easy to touch your cervix. should be less than an index finger length. Don't worry about doing any damage (of course you're not going to be heavy handed with yourself! and never do this if your waters are gone!)
xXx

I totally want to give this a try now.

MW appt this morning with the other MW who is part of my antenatal care (I have 2 MW's and an OB) I hadnt met previously in my dealing with Canterbury area MW's.

Was annoyed right from the word go we had the 1st appt of the day and it was 20 minutes late!! She opened with hello oh you're the Home Birth lady arent you?

<facepalm> I thought oh gawd here we go...

BUT she was amazing really supportive!! After speaking to me about my previous experience and labour that I'm a great candidate as I have laboured before and dilated to 9.5cm so my body works, I know what to expect, I know what I want and know how to voice my wants/ideas/concerns!

She was quite helpful too as I was armed with a few questions (so thanks ladies for bringing certain things to my attention!) so I now know that it's likely the MW who will attend my HB will be from a pool of up to 16...so unlikely I will know them but they are all experienced and any of the less senior/less experienced MW's have an unwritten rule of calling the 2nd MW asap upon arrival for support (especially given I'm HBAC that would be the case for me).

Also that I would be eligible for my homebirth from 37 weeks...so no fighting for that one, I didnt ask about going past 42 weeks as I thought I'd cross that when I get to it...but it wont happen (PMA PMA lol).

She did have a bit of a LOL when we spoke about the OB...she asked did he tell you that you aren't allowed? I told her what my thoughts were about being the best place to avoid interventions and 100% attention of MW etc and she gave me the thumbs up saying excellent that is exactly what I told a lady yesterday...you clearly know what you're doing.

I feel so much more positive about things now, just feel like I'm a step closer to achieving this now.

Just got the VBAC clinic in Feb and a OB appt in March to get over now I know my MW's are behind me 100% all id good.

Apparently the lady who runs the VBAC clinic is VERY VERY pro VBAC and can be a bit bullish and oftne blinds ladies with details/science but that is a good thing for me and esp hubby who likes hard evidence for things. Looking forward to that appt now.

Not looking forward to the OB but damn them to hell, I know what I want and I getting it!

Get into a squat, clean your hands obv, you might need some jelly (depends on how you feel) and then it is really easy to touch your cervix. should be less than an index finger length away. Don't worry about doing any damage (of course you're not going to be heavy handed with yourself! and never do this if your waters are gone!)
xXx

I never could get a good feel of mine, mind you I never got any BH or niggles, i was one of those women.

Had a sweep and was already 4cm so I thought things were going to be great, 2 days later started getting irregular contractions and 50 hours later had the poor so and s dragged out the sun roof!

I've been a big cervix self examiner since I started TTC. I use it now for natural family planning too (on the rare occasions when we get chance to :sex: )

Indeed, I used this method for TTC (good old Toni Weschler) but have to admit haven't been inclined to touch "it" since I've been pregnant... might try tonight before bedtime :)

Once I was pregnant I didnt touch it again until about 36 weeks when I started with evening primrose oil. It was interesting feeling it change :)

Oh Chuck that is brillant news!!!!
So happy for you!
They have a vbac clinic too.. that is pretty cool!
XxX

Hahaha - I'm not that strange after all!, knew you were all weirdos too! :wacko:
What are the changes when you are trying to conceive or not?

Oh, and check out that fantastic bump Cathy! - looking good!
XxX

HI Ladies

I'm officially on Maternity leave now and I finally have some time!! (I think!!) to post in here! :)

I'm 36 weeks - homebirthing hopeful... A couple of you probably know me.. :) I havent been around posting on B&B for a while though - just the odd occasion!

Cathy - Fab news about the twinges!! Your body is clearly preparing well!

I was awake with crampy BH last night and having some more while sitting here now.. fun!

I agree - I used to check my cervix all the time while TTC but hadnt felt it until 35 weeks... it certainly feels completely different!!! totally squishy now! lol

Anyway - hope to be back here every now and then to join in conversation about the wonderful world of natural and home birthing!

I've served my time from TTC right thru and back round the whole lot again! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->