Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I've always known my cervix is an amazing part of nature and will expland but that video for some reason freaked me out that my actual foof has to some how fit a head through it. :wacko:

I decided to fill up my birth pool today and just spent the last 2 hours relaxing in it. Hubby keeps saying we need to deflate it and put it away but I just want to keep filling it up with water!

wow that video scared me a little :shock: So amazing though! I keep going though phases of being soo excited and then really terrified to do it all again :dohh:

watching the video I thought, gosh it's amazing what our bodies can do!

watching the video I thought, gosh it's amazing what our bodies can do!

It's is unbelievable cool isn't it!!
You don't really have to think, it just happens. Our physiology is amazing!

Oh so much has happened, while my silly laptop decided to have some sort of seizure over the weekend!

Congratualtions Jude!! Brilliant news.. astonding story! It really goes to show what being a homebirth women can do, even if you are in hospital. It is much more than where you give birth - it is a mindset and empowerment.
XxX

I may have just gone off the deep end on a thread in third tri. Oops. :blush:

^^ I saw and applaud you! (Unless it's a different thread...)

As brief an update as I can manage - saw my MW today and she remains excellent. She thinks there is no way the hospital will agree to IV antibiotics at home so if it does come down to it I will just refuse them in favour of monitoring for infection signs. She also thinks my GP is a bit funny about homebirths and I will struggle to get a pethidine prescription from him should I want one, but I will go to his partner who is lax and doles anything out so I reckon that will be ok! She said they have to go to the hospital to get it otherwise but it's possible. She was totally positive about the homebirth and also said she has no idea why I was taken in at 18 hours last time. She said to her knowledge our hospital is STILL using a 96 hour policy so they must've been two years ago. Let the fight begin!

I may have just gone off the deep end on a thread in third tri. Oops. :blush:

Hahaha! Off to find your post Jenni and offer any support, if I can!

PB - Why is the hospital having a sanction say on a IV at home? It's that who your MW is under? How about the senior community MW? I know everywhere works slighty differently.. which is very postcode lottery! I know you will have it in hand though - let battle commence! ;-)
XxX

I love it Jenni - of course anyone has the right to walk away from any medical institution.. Shame they don't know that. Autonomy is king! In fact, you can decline medical interventions even while unconscious and in a coma. Living wills are a good example of this. I have a living will.. just as important (if not more) in my eyes than a dead one! I'm not going to be kept alive artifically, So OH is on strict instruction to turn me off! I'd do the same for him too - hahaha!
XxX

Hey Bourne. Well she said she was playing devil's advocate and that it has come up before and I guess has just never been allowed. I will certainly raise it with the consultant mw when I see her. If they downright refuse then I will downright refuse to have antibiotics at all so we'll see how far they take their duty of care I guess. Of course it might all be a moot point if my late test comes back clear (fingers crossed!).

Hey Bourne. Well she said she was playing devil's advocate and that it has come up before and I guess has just never been allowed. I will certainly raise it with the consultant mw when I see her. If they downright refuse then I will downright refuse to have antibiotics at all so we'll see how far they take their duty of care I guess. Of course it might all be a moot point if my late test comes back clear (fingers crossed!).

Fingers, toes and eyes!

All things crossed like Jen said!
You must know more about GBS than anyone (certainly that I know), so you could really let the peverbial hit the fan! I hope you don't have to fight too hard, it can be really tedious and sapping - (I know how that feels after I had an epic battle on my hand with GD).. but so worth it in the end!! :hugs:
XxX

My midwife gave me such a spiel and of course I already knew it all! It's good though because of course I might not have spent hours and hours researching! I think she was maybe pro-testing but certainly relaxed about the implications of a positive test and as positive as ever about homebirthing.

It's weird suddenly learning all this stuff about it when it never crossed my mind last pregnancy. Slightly ironic that had I known what I've learnt I could've avoided some of the interventions.

it might be something that iv already heard before or something really simple, but looking at this about waters breaking and monitoring ect can some one fill me in why its ok to leave a woman whos waters break before term but they dont want to leave a woman whos waters break close too or after tearm? is the risk of infection not exactly the same? weather your 27 or 37 weeks! :-s

I think it's that it's where the risk lies. If the baby is still growing (good placental supply) at 27 weeks, it's best to leave baby in utero and monitor for infection (they would recommend induction if infection was suspected, I think) vs a pre-term delivery. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but your waters can "refill" over time. At term, I guess they figure baby's done cooking and that the risk of possible infection in utero is greater than the risk of an induced delivery, although personally, I'd still just monitor for infection and let baby come when ready.

The risk of infection is exactly the same.
However, when weighing up the whole situation for the baby in a nut shell is;
a preterm baby is "safer" in mum than out regardless of the infection risk (of course it needs monitoring), as there is a developmental risk. Where as term or post term developmental risk isn't there, but there is an increase in a risk of the placenta not maintaining functionality along side a risk of infection.
So that is the general reasoning.

The risk of infection is exactly the same.
However, when weighing up the whole situation for the baby in a nut shell is;
a preterm baby is "safer" in mum than out regardless of the infection risk (of course it needs monitoring), as there is a developmental risk. Where as term or post term developmental risk isn't there, but there is an increase in a risk of the placenta not maintaining functionality along side a risk of infection.
So that is the general reasoning.

Maybe I didn't word it right (or maybe your comment had nothing to do with mine), but I wasn't implying that the risk of infection for either gestation was different at all. I was saying that: with the risk of infection vs the risk of pre-term delivery with the 27 weeker, the pre-term delivery was the greater risk; whereas with the risk of infection vs the risk of an induced term delivery (even though, as we know, they may not be ready as we see it), the risk of infection is the greater risk. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->