Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

oh and for the baby shower gift list i think im going to go through a few websites and give chelsea links to things i want and she can give them out, probably a mix of nappies some other things such as lansinoh because i cant get enough at first! a new breastfeeding pillow! maybe a nice new mei tai! iv got some great friends :) it seems to be going pretyt fast already and iv moved my self (well my ticker) back by two weeks because im not 100% sure on my dates untill i get a dating scan, midwife says 10weeks but im not convinced!

DH is reading the birthing the easy way book at last. Not really had much feedback but he said this evening it feels a bit like it's me in labour and he feels defensive, he doesn't want them to take me away. I think that's a pretty good start! Next step, learn how to stop them if I can't do if myself.

Well done Cathy!! She is a peach and so thrilled bfing is going well!!

Zara - thats more like it! :lol: you do have 2 mws but YOU decide when they join you and generally one comes until birth is imminent then she cakes the second one so it really is just you and your birth partners for the vast majority of it.

PB - good news about OH reading the book :)

He's just now brought it up again. Mentioned some bible quotes that bothered him a bit - I didn't even remember any but he's a bit sensitive to religious stuff - but I think he is trying to put those into context of a US author and audience. But he said it's quite interesting so obviously he's mulling on it to keep bringing it up!

He's just now brought it up again. Mentioned some bible quotes that bothered him a bit - I didn't even remember any but he's a bit sensitive to religious stuff - but I think he is trying to put those into context of a US author and audience. But he said it's quite interesting so obviously he's mulling on it to keep bringing it up!

I didn't realize Birthing the easy way was biblical.

I can't tell if that's a pun or not jenni! Assuming you're being serious it's really not. DH is super sensitive. I don't even remember a single reference to the bible.

Yeah, she does talk about how God intended things, and there are some Bible quotes in there (and I believe she's Canadian, fwiw). I really like the book so far, but I do worry that having stuff like that in there may detract from how great the book really is, as it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I never even noticed any mention of god or the bible in there!

I'm not sure of the context but I do often say to women 'god gave us....' or 'the way god intended....' or similar and I tend to add 'or mother nature or how ever you like to view these things.....' so as not to be overtly 'religious'.

I think to describe it as biblical might be pushing it!! :lol:

I think it's the same sort of thing. I'm sure I'd read Scripture quoted in there at one point as well. But looking through it (I'm over halfway through and think most of it was nearer the beginning), I can't find anything. I have Christian beliefs myself, but I still sort of thought "eeek" at first, but she never comes across all holy roller in the book or anything. It's just the way her train of thought works, and that's cool.

Sorry ladies, I said I was joining you all and then disappeared haha, I'm so horrible at keeping up with on going threads like these...but I'm going to try for this one!!

Congrats Cathy she is so adorable!!!

I saw a couple of you talking about having siblings in the room during the birth, it's something I've been thinking about too, I really don't know what we should do yet. Having never had a fully natural birth but knowing myself and I do usually tolerate pain very well and I'm not someone who makes a lot of noise in labor, I'm actually silent throughout so I'm thinking it wouldn't scare them? But maybe it would be too overwhelming for me. They will be almost 4, 6 and 8 at the time he's born. I think my older 2 can make that decision on their own but I really need to educate them about the birth process so they can make that decision but I'm not sure how to go about that really, does anyone have any advice on some kid friendly books maybe to do that? I was thinking of having my sister keep them and maybe one other friend and when we knew it was getting close having them bring them to the birth center where they have a small playroom area so they could either be there or in the room but that way they could come in immediately after birth if they aren't in the room, but really not sure about them being there during.

We also found out that we are expecting our 4th boy!!!!! No girls for us :)

Huge congrats Cathy.. Eva is just simply beautiful.. and you look fab too! Well done mummy! XXx

I've prety much decided that DD will be there at the birth, but what I didn't think about was whether she will be wanting to get in the pool with me? If she does, then I guess it will mean OH will also have to get in to make sure that DD is safe enough - could be alittle crowded! hahaha! I'm hoping that she wouldn't want to be in for a long time.. perhaps just early labour? She gets upset if one of us are in the bath, and she isn't in with us. She just loves the water and swimming; could be the efffect of her being a water baby herself?!

Chuck so pleased you have found a homebirth group and you guys are going along. I haven't had much luck in my local area. but I'm still trying.

I'm looking forward to getting a read of my maternity notes from DD pregnancy and birth, which should be through to my G.P's next week. Hopefully ready for my 16week appointment with my MW.

XxX

I can't tell if that's a pun or not jenni! Assuming you're being serious it's really not. DH is super sensitive. I don't even remember a single reference to the bible.

:lol: Definitely not intended that way but re-reading it, it's very funny. I didn't think it was biblical (the book, not the experience :p). You know hypnobirthing has a few references to the bible in there too. Or well she just talks about how God created us to birth and few other things. She's also very into nature though so I think it evens it out for people. Even though if you are biblical, you'll read that God intended for it to be difficult, it's still very natural.

Lol Jenni I did wonder! I think like MM said, you could say God, Mother Nature, whatever, the end point is that however you feel we came to be this way it was a natural process independent of medical interference.

I hadnt considered River wanting to get into the pool with me....now i think about it shes going to demand it! :haha:

Stupid question alert but that would be safe wouldnt it? As long as she didnt start drinking it or anything.

I really hope River can be there for as much of it as possible. Were going to have people come over in shifts and if its a really long labour maybe take her to the park for a bit (will be hard as no ones ever done that before).

I think her being there will help me be able to concentrate and not worry about her and also its not like i can get upset or be very vocal which will help me i think.

Just had another Midwife appointment and we went over my birth plan. Seemed most of it they would be doing anyways. There were only a few things we had to have a conversation over was her constantly using the word pain, I kept saying she could say intense, or uncomfortable but not pain. She just kept slipping back into the word when she was talking about procedures and such which would make us laugh. So that's a positive at least.

I also told her I was fine with having them know how far along I am (without doing internals, more outer palpitations) but that I didn't want to know. She didn't quite understand this as she just assumed I would want to know that I'm 8cm, but I said if I'm only 4cm that could really set me back. I also truthfully wouldn't want to know I'm 8cm because then I could see my brain thinking it's almost over, but then what if it isn't?! It would make me impatient. Anyways I tried to explain this to her, she just sometimes doesn't get it.

As she was leaving she was saying she'd be back to check my BP (she'd forgotten her stethoscope). Then she turns around and says "I can say check can't I?" And then started cracking up. I just told her she's getting too cheeky.

It's interesting about not being told. I hadn't thought of that. I'd say maybe I wouldn't mind being told once I'd reached like 5 or 8/9cm but not a running commentary but then I'd be consciously waiting for that first telling. I suppose I can play it by ear. In an ideal world I'd like to not know, just labour and hopefully push when it feels right. If it's loads of hours I might get disheartened anyway though...

Glad you're keeping your MW in check anyway! It sounds like she's trying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->