Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Well my reflexology session was lush! Very relaxing (I drifted off) going to massage the bump with clary sage oil tonight and have insisted that hubby plays his part and we do what got us in this situation in the first place.

On a separate note, I packed my 'emergency' hospital bag this afternoon and boy, did I resent every flippin' second of it. I REALLY do not want to go into hospital to have this baby. Even just thinking about it makes me feel so negative!

Good luck snagglepat, hope things pick up for you and your baby arrives soon.

I always say dont pack a 'hospital bag'. Pack a 'BIRTH Bag'. It's there to keep everything in one place.....of course IF you decide to go anywhere you can conveniently pick it up but it's equally as useful for hubbies, doulas and MWs to be able to put their hands straight on your things when were helping getting you settled into your own bath/bed etc at home :winkwink: No resentment required for just being helpful and organised at all really :)

I can see how you would resent packing a hospital bag, Amy. But like MM said, look at it like a bag to keep everything together, even if for your hubby to know where everything is! Glad you enjoyed your reflexology session:)

Gina, hope your night was eventful AND resulted in a baby! Or if not, that you were able to get plenty of rest.

I've had a bag packed for a while after my unexpected trip in. I don't expect it to travel further than down or upstairs but DH welcomes it for when I ask for breastpads or whatever.

I had two bags ready, one for baby and one for me in case of going in. I then put both of them away in the airing cupboard out of sight! Found them a few days after birth, when we were running low on breastpads, clean knickers and OH remembered there was a chocolate bar I had packed for him in there!

I like the idea of just having a birth bag, so you don't double up on everything.

Amy - lol at operation eviction! I kept falling asleep at both my relaxation and yoga classes!

Thanks for the info on your homebirth group PB, it sounded like a really good 1 on 1 cathartic experience. Good news from me on the homebirth group front too - I have found one that meets the 1st Thursday of the month.. So I'm looking forward to going this week! Hooray! However, I do have to go to Dorchester.. which is about an hours drive. BOO!
More good news is that my previous notes filed in Hampshire have arrived at my G.P's this morning (that has taken 2 or 3 working days, so I'm very impressed) and they are letting me just pick them up for free tomorrow - ready for my MW appointment on Wednesday. So at last I'll have some obstetric history, other than just my word. You might wander why I want it, but if I happen to have any kind of fight on my hands with consultants and GD again, then I want my evidence to hand!

Thinking of you snaggle :)

XxX

Glad you've found a group Bourne but that is quite far away! I hope it's a good group. I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer to it anyway!

I'm thinking of asking my MW to order my notes from last time. Though I suppose I could get copies when I eventually get round to meeting with the consultant MW.

On a different note, DH reckons I should write a book when I've finished having babies as he thinks I'm filling my head with all this birthing knowledge and then will have nowhere to let it out! lol Not sure about that, there are so many good books already, plus I'd be nuts about getting the science right so it probably wouldn't make a great read. I'd be better doing a PhD in Birth! But it did get me thinking. DH is a writer and a very good one at that and is going on such a big journey himself. He's so supportive about everything and I really think that a Dad perspective to natural birthing would be welcome. I know there are a couple of Dad sites, but I reckon there are still plenty of gaps in the market. He doesn't have time for a blog - he's already got one for his normal writing and about twenty different irons in the fire - but he said he'd be more than happy to write an article for a magazine (on or offline). The homebirth people introduced to me The Mother magazine that I'm going to look into, that might be a possible outlet, but I was wondering if you girls who do lots of reading around the subject might be able to suggest some other outlets we could research?

I always say dont pack a 'hospital bag'. Pack a 'BIRTH Bag'. It's there to keep everything in one place.....of course IF you decide to go anywhere you can conveniently pick it up but it's equally as useful for hubbies, doulas and MWs to be able to put their hands straight on your things when were helping getting you settled into your own bath/bed etc at home :winkwink: No resentment required for just being helpful and organised at all really :)

Dear MM,

Thank you so much for helping turn my negativity around. Yes, that is totally the right way to look at things. I must try harder at staying positive, otherwise what incentive has bubba got to come and meet us?

Glad you've found a group Bourne but that is quite far away! I hope it's a good group. I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer to it anyway!

I'm thinking of asking my MW to order my notes from last time. Though I suppose I could get copies when I eventually get round to meeting with the consultant MW.

On a different note, DH reckons I should write a book when I've finished having babies as he thinks I'm filling my head with all this birthing knowledge and then will have nowhere to let it out! lol Not sure about that, there are so many good books already, plus I'd be nuts about getting the science right so it probably wouldn't make a great read. I'd be better doing a PhD in Birth! But it did get me thinking. DH is a writer and a very good one at that and is going on such a big journey himself. He's so supportive about everything and I really think that a Dad perspective to natural birthing would be welcome. I know there are a couple of Dad sites, but I reckon there are still plenty of gaps in the market. He doesn't have time for a blog - he's already got one for his normal writing and about twenty different irons in the fire - but he said he'd be more than happy to write an article for a magazine (on or offline). The homebirth people introduced to me The Mother magazine that I'm going to look into, that might be a possible outlet, but I was wondering if you girls who do lots of reading around the subject might be able to suggest some other outlets we could research?

I'd prob get your notes before you meeting with the consultant MW. It will better prepare you for any questions you wish to go through at the meeting. It was easy easy for me, just asked the g.p's sec to send a fax. (Of course I did all the leg work getting the right info). Plus, the lovely man in medical records was right in thinking that, I am just going to be given my notes - so don't have to pay the £50.00. Even if they don't get releaced to you, you are entitled to view them under DPA at a max cost (if any) of £10.. got to be better than £50!

I think both your ideas are brilliant ones! They say that everyone has a book in them!
I don't know of any HBACS books, so that would be great I think! Plus it would be great to have a science-y one! Lots are women's stories, but don't back it up with the right amout of evidence or research, or they are teaching books, which can lack alot of women's feelings.
Like you I don't think there is enough partners experiences' books.
Writing an article would be great too - world's your oyster there! (you could even try the Sunday papers). NCT do a great news letter, and they are always looking for people to write articles. As well as all the magazines, your local paper or Homebirth.org has some women's stories - that could be an excellent start.

I say go for it!
Xxx

I wasn't a section Bourne so not qualified for HBAC but maybe if my uni staff access ever gets sorted out I could spend some time looking into the literature whilst on leave. I love that sort of thing anyway! :blush: Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into them and see if there's somewhere DH would fancy.

According to facebook, Gina/snagglepat has had a baby boy!! Congrats Gina, can't wait to hear all about it!! Xx

I wasn't a section Bourne so not qualified for HBAC but maybe if my uni staff access ever gets sorted out I could spend some time looking into the literature whilst on leave. I love that sort of thing anyway! :blush: Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into them and see if there's somewhere DH would fancy.

Opps - sorry!!!! Had that ALL wrong in my mind just then! :blush:

I would think your work would give you access to online journals too. I use alot of Lexis Nexus - but it also gives me access all sorts of weird and wonderful publications.
XxX

As staff at the uni I get access at the office but they cocked up my staff setup when I returned from leave last time. I have email (that I don't use) and a staff card to 2019 (!) but no library or off-campus access! :wacko: I'm determined to get access again, I've really been missing it as I would live on web of knowledge. I looked into getting alumni membership at the uni library I went to but it has no off-campus access either. It's a real bugbear of mine (working in science communication as I do) that I the general public get no access to public scientific papers.

Thanks guys. Brennan Gray arrived this morning at 3:52, at home, after less than 3.5hrs of labour. After taking 27 hours to have Ember it was extremely intense, fast and furious. Too fast for the pool and even the tens machine. Phew! There's a brief write-up here: https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/524486-our-second-wonderful-home-birth.html.

We're so happy! It was amazing. :)

I'm off to enjoy my son now. :)

Gina. x

Congratulations again!! Very exciting, I hope I ca shave 24 hours of my last labour!

Gina!! YAY!!! :happydance: :hugs: I'm off to read your story now :)

I have decided to NOT pack a birth/hospital bag. There's a few different reasons really. One I just want to be really positive that I won't be going in. My MiL (who was over this weekend) was being really annoying wanting me to pack something, but I don't want to put my favourite pair of Pajama's in a bag and then not be able to wear them until that date! I also don't want to have to buy a new toothbrush or toothpaste or a new hair brush just in case. As I would have to buy them new because I don't want to be living out of a bag until the day. I suppose it helps that Hubby is confident he could grab anything I need and shove it in a bag on the day of if need be. And even if it's not perfect it's no biggie.

We did give in a little and pick out Babs "first outfit" The thing is we were given so many clothes by a friend of ours we haven't had to buy any, which is great to us. But also means we haven't picked out that "special" outfit. I was just planning on grabbing the first thing on top and popping her in that. It was hubby that organized them all anyways so he knows better than even I do! But yea she was admit about this outfit being special. I tried to explain it's not a like "coming home" outfit. She's already home! I just want it to be like any other day. But we just happen to have a new baby on that day. :)

I'm thinking along the lines of a birth 'box' for all the things that I wont need until during or after birth. If something does go wrong, my OH can just tip it in a bag for me at short notice - but until then it will be less portable so I'm staying positive and organised! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->