Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Thanks for your opinions on the book Bourne and wow at your hb group and the journey you are facing! If anyone can do it you can. I hope to host the hb group so I can meet the others. I can't attend the evening meetings at someone else's house because of Byron. It sounds like your group is amazing. Cannot believe there are 12 mws on mat leave at once though!!

Hi, I feel I'm randomly interrupting a good thread here, but I was just wondering if there is any hope for me...

So I have a homebirth booked, but still sitting here at 41 weeks, a failed sweep behind me and an induction booked at hospital on thursday. My cervix is still high, posterior and firm - will only allow a fingertip. I knew it would be as I've been unable to reach it myself the past week! I've got a sweep booked for tuesday, which I am hoping will work, but I am starting to lose hope.... :cry:

Oh hun don't lose hope! Things can happen so fast and in no specific order so you just never know. Your bubs totally knows when it's time to come and if there's no other problems going on in there then he's just needing some more time to cook! :) I swear if I had a penny for amount of stories I've heard of women who go into labour the day of or before their induction I would be rich! Or well I could go buy a lolly, but you get what I mean.

I do want to say (as I always seem to be obsessed with rights) that you still have the right to have your home birth after their so called "time frame". My hospital would induce me at 40+12 where as other hospitals do 40+14. While some others are only 40+10. You can see there's obviously no rhyme or reason to these dates. It's merely their time frame. If this happens to me, and for some reason I feel it will because it runs in the family to go late, I will be asking for monitoring over an induction and will fight if I have to, to still have my home birth even if it means going to nearly 43.

If you feel like this is something you would like to do, that is waiting over getting an induction, talk to your midwife about it. I had to have a fair few talks to get my midwives to agree to my home birth starting at 37 weeks instead of the 39 they normally do. But in the end it's my decision and my right, just as it is yours.

Ok I'll step off my soap box now. :shy:

Yeh, 40 weeks today! Happy due date to me!

Okay, so the midwife called to the house earlier, because I had to cancel my antenatal appointment yesterday (to wait for the delivery of the last stuff for the birth pool)

Anyway, there was glucose in my urine (grrr, this was my downfall last pregnancy) and she noted my oedema. At least my bp was ok.

She has booked me in for a sweep on Wednesday. I said that I was happy to wait and wasn't concerned about going 14 days overdue and she told me that the Trust's latest guidance says that they only let women go 12 days over.

Whilst she is really nice and totally supportive of my HB, I can't help but feel that I have been put on the clock. I didn't ask for the sweep, and know that I'll start to get despondant if it doesn't work.

I've had no symptoms at all yet, no BH, show, mucus plug or anything. The only thing I'm having is pressure on my cervix when I walk around for more than 10 minutes.

Give me hope ladies!

Okay, so the midwife called to the house earlier, because I had to cancel my antenatal appointment yesterday (to wait for the delivery of the last stuff for the birth pool)

Anyway, there was glucose in my urine (grrr, this was my downfall last pregnancy) and she noted my oedema. At least my bp was ok.

She has booked me in for a sweep on Wednesday. I said that I was happy to wait and wasn't concerned about going 14 days overdue and she told me that the Trust's latest guidance says that they only let women go 12 days over.

Whilst she is really nice and totally supportive of my HB, I can't help but feel that I have been put on the clock. I didn't ask for the sweep, and know that I'll start to get despondant if it doesn't work.

I've had no symptoms at all yet, no BH, show, mucus plug or anything. The only thing I'm having is pressure on my cervix when I walk around for more than 10 minutes.

Give me hope ladies!

Amy don't feel like you're on any clock hun. :hugs: If you want to wait 16-20 days after than you can wait, just tell them you understand the guidelines and you understand the complications that could come with going over, but if you're fine and babies fine then you'll be waiting. I would tell her that now because if she tries to say they won't come out at all I would start drafting up a letter asap.

as far as i know a sweep is not mandatory so if you don't want one, don't get one! :hugs:

The thing is, is that I was late as a baby and when I finally arrived, it was clear that any longer would have been a major problem. Mum still struggled to get me out though. I think I'll ask to be examined when I go in for the induction and if things look favourable for me to go naturally into labour within 24/48 hours, then I'll see if I can go home and wait - if nothing happens, then I'll agree to be induced.

I've got no problem with sweeps, I prepfer a sweep and for it to work then to have to endure an induction...

I'm just fed up and terrified of ending up on a labour ward, strapped to a monitor, needing an epi, baby getting into distress and ending up with a Csection. Drastic worries I know, but I can't help it!

Thanks for the words of wisdom though, much appreciated! xxx

i know your frustrations, it's potentially one extreme to the other :(

luckily here in Norfolk they seem to let you go 14 days over as standard, tho she said that the hospital was a bit of a mess with building work (?!) so i should think there is a fair chance that they would let you go further at the mo!!

I am working on eviction now, with a curry last night and lots of walking and bouncing on my ball today. I have every confidence she will come out v soon, positive thoughts, positive thoughts!!

Give me hope ladies!

Happy due date Amy!

I am trying lots of bouncing on my ball toady, see if that gets my Bubs moving :) Or I might try gardening!!1 Have tried pressure washing the patio, didn't get her going but it is lovely and clean now lol!

Awe I agree, it can be really hard to keep your patience.. but it is an "estimated" date and your baby and your body will know when the time is right.
I don't mind sweeps. It can be pretty hard to do if your body isn't a bit ready-ish anyways.. so who's to say, that you wait a while, and it wouldn't happen anyways.

I found that I was under sooo much pressure to get my LO here with my first.. I was so happy to go for a sweep, as it meant that I could avoid the pressure of having to choose to be induced - my circumstances were that I had gestational Diabetes, and although I knew my baby wasn't measuring big, and there was little in the way in terms of risk.. the pressure was so intense to go in to be induced or at the very least to be monitored every other day and then everyday.. and that was something that I certainly dreaded more than a sweep with my friendly MW in my own time (she offered it and just said pop along to the birthing centre if you want me to take a look).
I really feel for you, but if there isn't anything indicating for you to have this baby now, then ideally you should wait.. Try to distract yourself. Do things that are really fun.
XxX

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record....

Key word. Guidelines. Not rules. Not laws. Guidelines. YOU decide

All these babies about to be born! Sending you all much luck and positive labour thoughts! Hope your little ones decide to make a move soon :flower:

I was the same with my first, they tell you to go in for monitoring and induction and I never even realised I had a choice to say no!
I'm so glad I'm more educated about the whole process now, partly thanks to all the ladies in here! :)

I was the same with my first, they tell you to go in for monitoring and induction and I never even realised I had a choice to say no!
I'm so glad I'm more educated about the whole process now, partly thanks to all the ladies in here! :)

yes, definitely. With my first I was induced at +9 days but i didn't think the date was right - should have been a week later but I didn't feel I could argue. I certainly would now!! having Forums like this help a great deal but 10 years ago, I'm not sure we even had the internet in our house!!

i also love this thread! I am still waiting to try (not long to go though! :D) but i have been following this thread for a while now and find it so supportive and so encouraging. Thank you ladies! :thumbup:
I live in a state in the US where midwives for home births are basically illegal and am trying to find a good one i can trust and can still have my home birth with. My other option would be a birth center but then i would definitely get a doula, even if it's just for emotional and moral support.
Anyway, i will keep reading on here for now :)

i also love this thread! I am still waiting to try (not long to go though! :D) but i have been following this thread for a while now and find it so supportive and so encouraging. Thank you ladies! :thumbup:
I live in a state in the US where midwives for home births are basically illegal and am trying to find a good one i can trust and can still have my home birth with. My other option would be a birth center but then i would definitely get a doula, even if it's just for emotional and moral support.

What state do you live in? If you don't mind me asking. I'm just getting an over all idea of what states allow what before moving back in June. I really hope you're able to find what you're looking for. I birthing centre wouldn't be all that bad if it's a decent one. They're still 10x better than a hospital IMO.

What state do you live in? If you don't mind me asking. I'm just getting an over all idea of what states allow what before moving back in June. I really hope you're able to find what you're looking for. I birthing centre wouldn't be all that bad if it's a decent one. They're still 10x better than a hospital IMO.

Thank you! :D We live in Georgia ;) Well, the birthing center here is called "maternity center" and is right next to a hospital, if not part of it but it supposedly even has birthing pools and bars to hold on to for whatever position you want to be in during labor. I have yet to find out what it is really like before i decide to go there.

Okay,

I would like some advice/ reassurance because I'm not too sure whats happening.

Was on the shop floor earlier at work and I felt two trickles of water,( I was just stood there not doing anything strenuous) I'd just been to the loo for a wee about 10 mins before and usually have excellent bladder control. I went to the loo and had a look/sniff and it didn't smell like wee but it wasn't definately not wee iykwim.
I still feel a little bit trickly now and I'm worried my hind waters have gone (they went on my due day with DD and i was induced three days later).
There's no other obvious signs, tho i am feeling a bit off colour and dozy but i think thats just a regular occurance for me at this point in pregnancy.

Any ideas/ advice?
I'm asking you ladies as you wont just automatically have me running in panic to a&e LOL ;)

The best trick out there and the one most hospitals will tell you to do before even coming in is put on a pad (preferably a maternity one if you have one, if not a normal one will do) Lay down for about 30 min-an hour and then get up. If what was going on was actually waters then you'll start to feel more trickles. If that's the case then your pad will be used to test that it is infact your waters. I would recommend going in as you're only 32 weeks.

That being said I think you'd be surprised at how much you can actually wee yourself. And if you've been doing good and drinking lots of water than it doesn't really smell of wee either. I know this because even though I do my pelvic floor muscle exercises all the time, and I have kegels of steal (or so I like to believe) even I've had the rare pee myself issue from time to time, hahaha.

Well I've had a pad in and just been sat in the back office catching up on papwerwork and been to check now and yep - the pad is damp :(

OH's ringing the doctors now so I guess I'm probably waving goodbye to being 'allowed' to have a homebirth :(
Still getting kicked plenty so baby is fine tho :)

Balls :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"