Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

HOLY CARP

just realise I'm into double figures, 99 days to go eep!

Wowee I cant wait to see the response to the letter...very detailed and well written. I'll be shocked if the respond so well...as for a meeting I doubt they'd want to! LOL

Haahaahaaa they are not going to want to meet me at all are they!? - How much would I love a meeting just to hear face to face what she has to say?... I do so love stirring the pot! :blush:

Hooray down to double figures!!! :happydance:xX

Thats brilliant! It just highlights how much we're not told, I'm so sick of vague assumptions rather than proper figures!:thumbup::thumbup:

Had scan, 3 hours ago now although they havnt given me the scan report to confirm it ii seen the scan and there is nothing there, no baby no sac nothing, as expected! Iv stopped bleeding pretty much I would call that a completed miscarriage, iv sat for 30 hours on my own in the hospital and had a miscarrage with the worst care I could ever have received, I wish I'd have stayed at home!! Fly high little bean!! Love youuuu! X

Oh :hugs: Zara, that's awful being stuck in the hospital. I hope you get home soon.

So at the birth choice group I had four books recommended to me and I wanted to ask you ladies (some of whom will no doubt have read all of these) if it's worth me getting all/some of them. My main concern is how old some of them are. Not that giving birth changes but hospital and healthcare guidelines and knowledge does.

1) Birthing from Within - Pam England
2) Guide to Childbirth - Ina May Gaskin (going to get this whatever as I've heard it bandied around here so often!)
3) Homebirth Guide - Sheila Kitzinger (this one is from 1991 but I can get a cheap used copy)
4) Homebirth - Nicky Wesson

Great letter Bournefree! It does seem really odd that your midwife will not be part of the birthing team - just makes no sense whatsoever! I am also very interested in hearing what sort of reply you get....as you say, good to start this process early!

Wishing zara's angel much love. Zara stay strong.

Well I enjoyed the NCT HB info eve. Hubby got nothing from it and said he didn't expect to so wasn't surprised <face palm>. He was hoping for a more balanced view?! Well duh it a HB INFO EVE! Not a hospital birth info eve! Jeepers I do wonder sometimes! There was even an HBAC couple there but he wouldn't speak to them!

:hugs: Zara so sorry. :(

Anababe I thought you said your iron was 18 in the other post? Mine went from about 8 to 11 with a couple of weeks of spatone in my last pregnancy. Mine is also low, 10.5 or something. By the way that is supposed to say consultant MW not constant! Stupid phone...

sorry I meant my ferritin levels were 18. Its my hb that is 10.6 :) Yeah im going to try spatone, ill pick some up tomorrow when im out.

So sorry zara :hugs:

xx

Bourne what a great letter!! Than again you know I'm always a sucker for one, hahaha. Let us know asap what they say. :thumbup:

I'm so sorry Zara! :hugs: Spoil yourself over the coming few days - lots of rest and chocolate/ icecream and hugs from your boys!

I've finally secured a La Bassine pool ready for some homebirth action! :happydance:

So at the birth choice group I had four books recommended to me and I wanted to ask you ladies (some of whom will no doubt have read all of these) if it's worth me getting all/some of them. My main concern is how old some of them are. Not that giving birth changes but hospital and healthcare guidelines and knowledge does.

1) Birthing from Within - Pam England
2) Guide to Childbirth - Ina May Gaskin (going to get this whatever as I've heard it bandied around here so often!)
3) Homebirth Guide - Sheila Kitzinger (this one is from 1991 but I can get a cheap used copy)
4) Homebirth - Nicky Wesson

I have read only 2 and 4.
and as you are going to get Ina's anyway.. I would highly recommend Nicky Wesson's it is more upto date, and has some great birth stories of all types of women who have experienced HB and transfers with all types of complications in both labour and birth. Such as; Anaemia, high BMI, GBS, Previous gestational complications, VBACs, PPH, SD, etc, etc... I find it informative, full of research, with great tip for helping yourself... Plus it is written without bias, and some complications are discussed where the author does feel that it would be best practice to transfer or opt for a hospital birth. It is the main guide produced in association with AIMS.. it also has practical tips on things that you might like to have a home for your birth.
The only thing I would say in the negative was, that it COULD feel as though it wasn't for you, if you were a first time HBer.. as you might feel that the majority of the complications wouldn't apply, and you might just want to read nice stories without complications.. but the majority of the high-risk women featured have had sucessful homebirths (that made me assured) - I read it before my first, but then it is part of my nature that I would perfer to be informed of all risks and make my own decisions.
XxX

Well I enjoyed the NCT HB info eve. Hubby got nothing from it and said he didn't expect to so wasn't surprised <face palm>. He was hoping for a more balanced view?! Well duh it a HB INFO EVE! Not a hospital birth info eve! Jeepers I do wonder sometimes! There was even an HBAC couple there but he wouldn't speak to them!

Sounds brilliant and hey it's an excellent start for your OH Chuck!

Well I also went along to my "local" (an hour away), HB group. And it was AMAZING! There were all sorts of women there. 3 first time mums planning HB, 2MWs (including one from my birth centre! - struck gold there!), 2 NCT anti-natal class teachers, 2 women who had all three (yes both of them had had 3) at home, one of the MWs who had a totally natural twins in a pool in a birth centre and one lady who was determined to get her HB for her second after transferring with DD the first time and partners - who discussed all their concerns and support, (some of which left there OHs open mouthed/teary, as I don't think they had really shared their worries or love before), then me of course.

It was comfortable, informal, relaxed, and informative. Everybody was listened too and not talked over. It was wonderful to hear everybody's stories, what their passions were, what options they were choosing, how they were approaching birth, what concerns they had, what advice they had to offer, the differences in care from different areas and some invaluable tips and advice.

So I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and I'm shamed to say (sorry for the lovely lady who was hosting) some of us were so engrossed, we didn't leave until gone 10.30pm!

I also have to say it is a testament to you ladies, that I found the group a very a similar experience to posting and reading on here. We are an amazing community of women who are inclusive of all women wanting to explore HB.

But what an insight! Well the MW who attended from my local area who is part of the "birthing team" of my local birth centre (where my MWs will come from for my HB), talked frankly how upset she is with the staffing set-up in our area, and offered that they wouldn't usually had too many problems with staffing, but there are currently 12 MWs on maternity leave! WOW! She said recently how it breaks her sprit how she has had to take calls from women who have phoned time and again whilst in labour to get MWs out to home (some where after a ROM and in full flows of 2nd stage labour) and she has had to honestly say, there ISN'T MWs who are available to attend.

There are clearly some huge problems in my area at the moment, and the Trust doesn't have the money to employ contract MWs to cover.
I trust her sincerity... and didn't think (unlike my first birth) that the staffing issue was a bit of a rouse and an easier option to coax women into the birthing centre.

I showed her my letter I had written yesterday.. and she was so pleased that I had contacted the head of midwifery. She also let me know that the HMW had had both her babies at home, and is very supportive of HB, but does need women like me to start writing to emphasise the importance of additional funding to provide the service that they so desperately want to to their ladies. So next step for me is the CEO of the Trust, the council and my MP.

I think I'm in much deeper than last time and my gestational complications fight to say the least. I'll have to do some research and have a chat with some of my collegues about this side medical law, as I think it has been untested. I know of one prominent case where a health authority was sucessfully done through public law for failing to provide an ambulance in under a certain time frame.. So it has to be possible. I'm conerned that the statute on birth services doesn't cover HB - only that the health authority has to provide a birth service? Hummm? But I'm hoping I'm just thinking too far ahead.

XxXx

I've been a bit photo happy today so here are some random pictures!

This is my finger I burned last night that ended me up in the A&E :dohh:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JennBeavers/th_167798_10150093202528966_513638965_6065696_5932392_n.jpg

The rest are Hubby and I messing around before the Christmas tree came down.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JennBeavers/th_IMG_3350.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JennBeavers/th_IMG_3340.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/JennBeavers/th_IMG_3339.jpg

Ouchie! Your poor finger :( And how cute are those christmas tree pictures?!? So sweet!!

Hi, I feel I'm randomly interrupting a good thread here, but I was just wondering if there is any hope for me...

So I have a homebirth booked, but still sitting here at 41 weeks, a failed sweep behind me and an induction booked at hospital on thursday. My cervix is still high, posterior and firm - will only allow a fingertip. I knew it would be as I've been unable to reach it myself the past week! I've got a sweep booked for tuesday, which I am hoping will work, but I am starting to lose hope.... :cry:

Absolutely 100% Meg! My last home birth was at 41+5 and everything started the day the lady stopped thinking past the next 24hrs and trying to make her baby come. Cross the 42 wk bridge IF you get to it - my guess is that you wont :winkwink:

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->