Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I find myself mentioning NOT getting induced on my induction date just to see people's reactions - it's surprising how many say "oh they won't let you do that" or" it's dangerous". A little bit of information is a dangerous thing - people DO think they know everything.

I will cross that bridge when I come to it next week :)

OH I know I love the "They won't let you do that" Let me??? LET me?? Last I checked it was my body. :dohh:

No offense to anyone else on here I also don't get this impatience thing. Trust me I've wanted to NOT be pregnant from about 18 weeks onward. I know that sounds horrible but I've just had it really rough. That said I would never go through all this so that at the end I can shave off a few days. I just don't get that!

but do you feel like you're in a real minority? most people seem to have been desperate for Baby to come from about 37 weeks, or is it just something people feel they have to say?? i am dying to meet her and am worried that being too late may cause problems or interventions but other than that it doesn't bother me at all. though I have to say I don't have SPD or anything really awful, just carpal tunnel syndrome and a bump that gets in the way!!

The other thing I find a little sad is that people see going overdue as a failure by our bodies and yet surely it means that we are cooking our babies well and keeping them in long enough to be ready to face the world?! I'm sure that women who lose babies earlier wouldn't see this as a failure on our part.

Blimey, that ended up rather long, sorry ! :blush:

I wonder the same. Byron DID come 'early' at just over 38 weeks and I don't think he was ready to come, it was just because I couldn't contain all that stupid water anymore. Ignoring that I want the sure start grant :haha: I want this one to wait a big longer and contractions to start by themselves. I want my baby to open her eyes this time instead of being so sleepy for so long. :(

I find myself mentioning NOT getting induced on my induction date just to see people's reactions - it's surprising how many say "oh they won't let you do that" or" it's dangerous". A little bit of information is a dangerous thing - people DO think they know everything.

I will cross that bridge when I come to it next week :)

OH I know I love the "They won't let you do that" Let me??? LET me?? Last I checked it was my body. :dohh:

No offense to anyone else on here I also don't get this impatience thing. Trust me I've wanted to NOT be pregnant from about 18 weeks onward. I know that sounds horrible but I've just had it really rough. That said I would never go through all this so that at the end I can shave off a few days. I just don't get that!

but do you feel like you're in a real minority? most people seem to have been desperate for Baby to come from about 37 weeks, or is it just something people feel they have to say?? i am dying to meet her and am worried that being too late may cause problems or interventions but other than that it doesn't bother me at all. though I have to say I don't have SPD or anything really awful, just carpal tunnel syndrome and a bump that gets in the way!!

The other thing I find a little sad is that people see going overdue as a failure by our bodies and yet surely it means that we are cooking our babies well and keeping them in long enough to be ready to face the world?! I'm sure that women who lose babies earlier wouldn't see this as a failure on our part.

Blimey, that ended up rather long, sorry ! :blush:

Long but true! :thumbup:

RE Meg: Remember that their 42 weeks might not actually be a real 42 weeks and could be off by at much as +-5days. Where as I am a huge advocate for NOT inducing I do see the beneficial side of monitoring. They're able to make sure your placenta is doing just fine, and in most cases this whole scare of a weakening placenta isn't really that common. Babies will come when they're ready, if they don't come then there's most likely some other cause getting in the way. Here's a great quote:

It is undeniable that the rate of stillbirths and neonatal deaths does rise as pregnancy becomes more and more prolonged. However, many of these deaths are due to congenital abnormalities, or occur in babies with intra-uterine growth restriction. It is not clear how much the death rate rises for normal babies who do not show any signs of being growth-restricted. It can be alarming to hear that the death rate for pregnancies over 42 weeks doubles, but it is perhaps more informative to let people know the figures rather than the relative chance. Some sources suggest that the death rate for apparently normal babies, ie those without detected abnormalities, may rise from around 1 in 1,000 to 2 in 1,000.

I think there must be a significant point of how many women actually do go over 42 weeks without induction. There can't be many upon which the statistics are based and maybe a good proportion of those will be women who for one reason or another have had less antenatal monitoring or care than is usual. After my GBS research I'd question when the studies were done too as it could've been before recent monitoring techniques. I have no idea what the reality is about the evidence but these are important questions and once the notion has gone down in the annals of time how often is it revisited?

Hi ladies!

Been nosing around in here but have been waiting until now to ask if i could be added to the homebirth list please. I'm due on the 28th April with baby number 1.

I didn't want to jinx it before as i wanted to wait for my diabetes and iron results which have come back fine!

ETA: i'm having a little boy :blue:

Hi ladies!

Been nosing around in here but have been waiting until now to ask if i could be added to the homebirth list please. I'm due on the 28th April with baby number 1.

I didn't want to jinx it before as i wanted to wait for my diabetes and iron results which have come back fine!

ETA: i'm having a little boy :blue:

oo that's good news :) fx for a great homebirth now :thumbup:

Welcome meow, you're only a week after me, I hope we get our homebirths!

Just to let you know, I am back home tonight after going in for induction. Had a 40 min trace, everything was good and I was contracting well most were my normal strength BH but I had a couple of strong ones too!
Going back in tomorrow for more monitoring. If everything is OK, I will refuse induction again and have a scan done to check on placenta etc. If that is OK too, I'll ask for a sweep and go back home again. I'm not sure they are happy to go past sunday though... just a feeling!x

Welcome Meow! I've learnt alot from being around these ladies, enjoy your time here & hope your homebirth goes to plan! xx

Ooooh Meg that is very exciting!!! Little bub has started to decide that it's time to start coming along. Wonderful news, you must be filled with confidence :)

Welcome Meow!

XxX

Welcome meow! All the best for your homebirth :flower:

Oooh good luck Meg! Sounds like things are happening! :thumbup:

Ohhh good stuff Meg sounds like things are getting ready!

I'm 3rd tri today...eep!

Better wise up to the fact I'm having another baby soon! Things to get and sort out that I havent even thought about yet.

We've been very complacent so far as we had Dewi so recently we still have all his stuff and clothes and what not but we need to get it out of the loft sort it all out/clean/wash it etc and see what we want new.

We havent even got a hint of a name yet!

Just to let you know, I am back home tonight after going in for induction. Had a 40 min trace, everything was good and I was contracting well most were my normal strength BH but I had a couple of strong ones too!
Going back in tomorrow for more monitoring. If everything is OK, I will refuse induction again and have a scan done to check on placenta etc. If that is OK too, I'll ask for a sweep and go back home again. I'm not sure they are happy to go past sunday though... just a feeling!x

Welcome Meow! I've learnt alot from being around these ladies, enjoy your time here & hope your homebirth goes to plan! xx

Yay for strong ones!! (Speaking of, I love the word strong, I've always tried to find another word that doesn't mean painful and all I've come up with is intense, I think I shall be stealing strong!) Hope your placenta still is pumping away. Oh and in my experience those type of people are never happy with anything that isn't their idea. *rolls eyes* Who cares if they're not "happy" to go past sunday. If you're placenta is still plodding along there should be no reason to rush things.

Happy third tri Chuck!! I remember being super excited to reach that bit. Just made it feel so real!

Exactly I don't think its really hit home yet that yes I am having another baby!

We have no ideas for names again...ergh.

Boys are so difficult.

Well that's a lie I would have a ton of names but Hubby hates them all and he wants jack...NO WAY JOSE...far too common and he only wants it because he's from Swasnea (long story - it's a Swansea legend and football fan thing).

i went for my second attempt at a sweep today....no luck, I'm still closed and high. On the up side she said considering I'd had 2 children already I was very tight - i obviously get back into shape well!! Not great for letting baby out though!

i did ask what their policy was on being monitored instead of induced after 14 days. She said it shouldn't be a problem, often babies that haven't come by 10 days over are here by 12-14 anyway and we can play it by ear. So that is good news. She was a nice, level headed midwife :thumbup:

That is great to hear Lucky. :) Level headedness is a great trait in a midwife. :thumbup:

Lucky - that's great you have such supportive midwives!

Chuck - I completely hear you about the names. We're on team yellow and we didn't settle on a boys name until about 2 weeks ago and we're completely lost in terms of coming up with a girls name. Mommy intuition is telling me this is a boy but on the off chance I'm wrong we probably should come up with a girls name.... I'm only 2 1/2 weeks away from term! Yikes! :shock:

thanks girls :)

Yes there is nothing worse than your midwife going OMG you CAN"T do that!

Names, i wouldn't worry too much, we've not decided and we are overdue!! We have a short list but will wait to meet her. Unfortunately there are 4 of us to take into consideration...though some members of the family carry more votes than others!! And if it turns out to be a boy we are completely stuffed!!

Well done you Lucky3 on checking out you choices your MW will offer beforehand. Brilliant she she supportive, level headed and more importantly not worried in the slightest.
It's a long old waiting game for these babies! As I think Jenni said, why would you wait 40 odd weeks and not be prepared to wait a little more?

I love this thread!
XxXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"