Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Anecdotally Sam, yes. I've found women who have a physiological 3rd stage bleed more initially (ie in the moments immediately after birth) but less on going (ie lochia) andwith a managed 3rd stage the exact opposite being the case. This seems to be the pattern so far but obviously this is FAR from a random controlled test! :lol: I'm surprised with you being a veteran home Birther that you've had managed 3rd stages actually! I just assumed you wouldn't have!

im planning a natural 3rd stage this time, i had a managed last time, the injection made me feel like crap the cord was clamped too fast and i lost about 400ml straight after the birth but this could of been made worse by being cut which im hoping doesnt need to happen this time

Hi ladies

I have a long way to go but am really keen (all being well) to have a home water birth. I can't think of a more perfect way for our first child to be born. We live within minutes of major city hospital should anything go wrong so hoping I get the go ahead.

Will be reading this section avidly!

yes MM as I transferred due to blood loss concerns they wanted a managed 3rd stage to ensure things were dealt with more quickly - in my notes it did say estimated blood loss was 400-500ml so I can see why they wanted to manage things.

I agreed as it was a fair enough reason by that point...not simply we don't want to wait. I did make them delay clamping and me cutting for a good 5 minutes though - I had to try to get it a little bit my way!

I must say the sensation of the slight traction the ME used to deliver the placenta and feeling it come away was very peculiar. Almost like there a vacuum behind the placenta if that makes sense?

Mind you I do remember being glad when the cord wasn't irritating my foof any more LOL...as much as I was sooooo glad to have my baby on my tummy and for all that hard work to be over my foof was stinging like crazy and as baby was moving the cord did a few times and by gosh did it feel odd and stingy!

Now there's something you don't get warned about!

One thought that was very clear in my head when I reached to cut the cord was DO NOT CUT THE MW!! I was shaking violently and when I had Dewi there were big delays on ward as a Daddy had cut a MW's finger while cutting the cord (can you imagine the paperwork!) and I did not want to repeat that incident.

:hugs: to you too chuck. I raise your irritated cord to four hours of it hanging there with metal forceps clamping it for 3 of those hours!

I bled 8 weeks with Byron ('normal' managed 3rd stage) and just over 4 with Indigo (managed 3rd stage then retained placenta). But both times I had relatively light bleeding (not even period like) and it came up stop around a week then started up again (had a second stop about 5 weeks with Byron). The continuing bleeding both times was practically spotting and fresh. Lots of people this time have said fresh blood means you're overdoing it. I stopped bleeding a couple of weeks ago for a day or two then huffed the double pram with both kids up our extraordinarily high front doorstep and promptly bled again right after. So I think it could be argued both tomes my lochia has only been about a week but that I've overdone it with too much lifting and carrying! After the pram incident I took things very carefully avoiding anything that strained and have now properly stopped.

I read somewhere that where the placenta was attached is basically an open wound that needs to heal so thinking that way it makes total sense that straining could reopen it and delay healing.

I think we're done having kids now. :cry: Neither DH nor I feel we can cope with another year of my physical incapacity through pregnancy, birth and beyond.

i cant do this again lol this is my last baby and im very happy with that :)
i would of stopped at 1 if it wasnt for my oh talking me into baby number 2

Hello to all the new people joining this thread - you'll get lots of great advice and support on here :D

I really can't remember how long I bled for after DS :wacko: I know I remember thinking it was longer than I thought it would be :blush:

:hugs: moomin, this lo is here for special reasons.

Welcome newbies

he is indeed, which kind of makes it more scary hahaha id wrap myself in cotton wool and not do anything for the whole 9 months if i could get away with it lol

I wouldn't swap PB...you're a stronger woman than me!

Yes welcome all the newbies...sorry that you've arrived to a lovely TMI conversation LOL but you'll find we've no shame here!

Nah we each of us do what we have to and put up with any crap we face in order to get to the end of our births. You pip me with your unneceaserean!

ergh not only do my boys seemingly cry is duet but they poop in unison.

I smelt something questionable running around the room just as I felt something questionable happen in the nappy of the other.

<facepalm>

Random thought for the day.....I Reeeeeeaaallly want to get my notes back....

Shoot I HAVE to get a letter in the post about mine this week and thank you's to the MW's who came to my home and the wonderful MW in the hospital who saw me both times!

Anecdotally Sam, yes. I've found women who have a physiological 3rd stage bleed more initially (ie in the moments immediately after birth) but less on going (ie lochia) andwith a managed 3rd stage the exact opposite being the case. This seems to be the pattern so far but obviously this is FAR from a random controlled test! :lol: I'm surprised with you being a veteran home Birther that you've had managed 3rd stages actually! I just assumed you wouldn't have!

i know... ''if i knew then what i know now'' thing really... i just didnt have the knowledge about it back then so the decision was taken out of my hands to a great extent

I have a photocopier so i am going to get Anais to photocopy mine before the MW leaves with them this time

I didnt realise I wouldnt get them back this time HUFF

i think you can request them though cant you?

yeah but at cost. huff i kept em until discharge last time. boo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->