Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Lisa, I think it is really positive you can look over your births and esp Emily’s.. I think you always knew that it was her birth that started you on this incredible journey as a women, mother and now as a Doula supporting women when they need you the most and at their vulnerable.

Please don’t apologise to your daughter - you fully know it was nothing to do with you - they failed you and her. All described in the sentence “directed pushing” (that should be an offence against women! I too think there is nothing more damaging)

Thank you Nikki for sharing your story too. It will make us collectively more aware and empowered.

So pleased that things are changing..

We are in a limbo-transition with some of our Mws - there are those that are the real-old-school and wouldn’t coach.. The 70’s generations that will be all push, push, push.. And hopefully the modern MW who lets women’s bodies to do what comes naturally (that’s if they haven’t been working in a culture of a hospital for the years for their training¬ and only want excitement and drama.. Rather than peaceful calm birth.. Fingers crossed ;-) ?!)

‘Failure to thrive’ with breast feeding is another stark stuck-in-your- throat-comment that should be scrapped!

Some “professionals don’t understand they are potentially profoundly effecting your whole lives with some of the decisions they make for you “in the best interests” with labour and birth. Bring back the power to women in birth.

Smokey - I just had all the emergency drugs delivered for the birth.. Which are now sitting in the fridge! The Vit K is there in a little vile - and it is the same liquid to be injected or to be given orally.. As your pharmacist said. So it really shouldn’t be a problem?!?! Can’t understand why it would be so difficult not to put it in a syringe for them?! Mind boggles the rubbish barriers that are artificially put up!

XxX

Im at the midwife this afternoon & she said at this appointment I will have to confirm if I want a homebirth or hospital birth - does anyone know what happens next? Will I have a home visit or something?

xxx

Depends on your area.
With my first pregnancy I had a home visit - but I think this was most due to my GD and wanting one of the senior mws to visit us with our antenatal MW.
Some areas like to do it anyway so they are familiar with your location and any potential problems - i.e loads of stairs if you are in a flat. Or just to check you have the basics - heating, light and water.

"booking" your homebirth, doesn't mean that you can't change your mind - or even if you were a women with a planned hospital birth, and then decided to stay at home.. it really only acts as a heads up to the MWs about planned homebirths, so they (hopefully) can arrange adequate cover from your 37th to 42nd wk.

Sorry I'm being slightly unhelpful - as you need to ask your mw

It's a bit like home birth kits - some MWs in some areas drop them off at 37wks to your home, and some only bring all the kit when you are in labour.

I'd defiantly be asking about staffing provisions for your homebirth though!
Xxx

WSS^^^

Depends where you are. I didn't have a home visit or a kit delivered.

Mind you I wish I did have a kit the first MW didnt have a mouthpiece for the GnA so I had to wait for the 2nd one to turn up!

They explained at a meeting I went to recently how the staffing works and they're confident that there will always been someone there for me so I'm pretty happy with that. There's only about 20 homebirths a month in leeds (women who book homebirths, not who actually give birth at home), and 6 midwifes on the hospital homebirth team plus the community midwives on stand by, so she said that in the event of 2 women having homebirths at the same time they can manage it, they could probably manage 3, but probably not four. But considering the number is so low of women having them, Im pretty confident that almost a quarter of the whole women wont be giving birth at the same time (or maybe knowing my luck!!:rofl:) so Im pretty happy with that :)

I guess Ill just see what she says, Im so impatient, Im excited :dohh:

I think we do get paperwork delivered first. I assume thats the kit.

I cant use gas & air anyway after last time so Im not worried about that either.

Thanks guys :) xxx

It is really exciting isn't it!!!?

Sound like your area have great cover! Mine are likey to be able to do one.

I am super excited to get my kit last night from my MW - new experience for me, as I didn't have one with my first. Loads of stuff.. don't have any GnA yet, as that will be brought from the hospital when I'm in labour - but have emergency drugs for PPH(Synometrine, Erometrine) and Vit K prep (even though, I have decided not to give it to baby) It is all the in the fridge behind the carrots! I didn't want any opiates, so dont have any of that... I don't have lignocaine for local anethetic, and I do want that to hand if there are stiches to be done. The only painful bit of my last birth! (so will ask for that to be delivered)
Other than that, there what seems like a billion sheet-pads plus resuc equipment etc and blood pressure cuff, and dopler - how tempting is that?? I'm not going to touch it though.. don't want to be listening in on baby all the time (I'm against over monitoring as it is! Still it's rather tempting though?! (no don't touch!) ;-)
Xxx

I have no idea what or how much stuff the MW brought with her when she came.

I know she had 2 canisters of GnA (she said dont go mad that's all I've got LOL) but no mouthpiece LOL, she had a sonicaid a blood pressure cuff, in the ear thermometer and loats of inco pads.

I didnt open my eyes long enough to look around for anything else hubby brought in from the car for her .

im having a home meeting with my mw next week and she will be bringing round my hb kit. i need to get a list of questions for her but no idea what to ask lol maybe just what she needs me to buy in or what she thinks will be a good idea, when do they advice i call for a mw to come when labour starts and then i must remember to ask her about me getting my anti d injection after hes born

It is really exciting isn't it!!!?

Sound like your area have great cover! Mine are likey to be able to do one.

I am super excited to get my kit last night from my MW - new experience for me, as I didn't have one with my first. Loads of stuff.. don't have any GnA yet, as that will be brought from the hospital when I'm in labour - but have emergency drugs for PPH(Synometrine, Erometrine) and Vit K prep (even though, I have decided not to give it to baby) It is all the in the fridge behind the carrots! I didn't want any opiates, so dont have any of that... I don't have lignocaine for local anethetic, and I do want that to hand if there are stiches to be done. The only painful bit of my last birth! (so will ask for that to be delivered)
Other than that, there what seems like a billion sheet-pads plus resuc equipment etc and blood pressure cuff, and dopler - how tempting is that?? I'm not going to touch it though.. don't want to be listening in on baby all the time (I'm against over monitoring as it is! Still it's rather tempting though?! (no don't touch!) ;-)
Xxx

Apparently the first midwife brings a canister of G&A, and then the second mw brings a second canister with her for the pushing stage :) I can't use it anyway though so I'm not sure if they'll bother.

I am going to get a prescription for pethedine... i've thought long & hard about it because in my labour with seth it was what I used and while I think it got me to pushing a LOT quicker than without because I was relaxed, but I didn't enjoy coming round from it, because that seemed to happen about the same time as transition and it was horrible, scary, confusing... they lied to me about stuff (for my own sake probably but it did leave me very confused) and I got myself in a bit of a state... but I can't use anything else, so I kind of feel like I need it in the house as my 'safety net'. I figured at least if its there if I feel I need it I can have it, and if not Ill just get rid of it afterwards. Im hoping that my natal hypnotherapy Ive been doing will help me get through early labour though and do the job that pethedine did first time round :)

Im not even sure if they'd let me have it this time anyways as seth came so quickly, I dunno.

Oh wow I didn't realise how much they might leave!! I think we just get forms and stuff but I don't know, I'll find out this afternoon :)

xxx

We don't have any kit delivered before hand - just on the day. The midwives have one canister of gas and air each, with each one only being enough for 30 mins use and as far as I know they won't administer pethadine in home births in our area - I would have to go to hospital for that.

I''m sure you have thought hard about the pethadine... it a tough decision to make, esp when you don't get on with the GnA. I'm sure you know there are serious effects to you and baby.- I totally understand your want to have a pain relief safety net.

You are going to be more relaxed at home anyway, and I know you will think about your hypno, TENS, water, heat, massage first.
Transition is only transient.. I had it bad for about 3 mins (longest 3 mins of my life) I was having a total panic attack and asked my OH to take me to hospital for an epidural. I wasn't even in pain!!!! - I just didn't think I could do it.. and would have done anything to escape as that moment, and simply not be pregnant anymore! But it is a really good sign things are going well! and you get over the otherside, and it all becomes more IN yourself and you let go fo all control, easy-peasey mentally and let your body get on with it - THAT was my favourate bit! ! ;-)
Xxx

I loved when we finally got to the pushing stage both times, after trying to manage contractions for so long it felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel and it was time for me to just 'get on with it'

MW dropped off a big yellow box (which eventually had all the waste put in it) that had a GnA mouthpiece and loads of inco pads and surgical gloves. And we discussed where everything was going to go and dicussing potentially where I would be giving birth. MW brought loads of stuff, including a resus kit for both me and baby, oxygen and gna cannister. Plus their own personal bags! There was stuff everywhere during labour but it all tidied away quickly afterward :)

I'm actually glad that we don't have the option of pethadine unless we transfer to hospital. I want to try to do this as best I can without the need for drugs such as pethadine. It's probably a good thing that the gas and air tanks only have 30 mins supply each too. I keep walking into my living room each morning and see my pool all pumped up and ready and I am excited about what will be happening in there soon - although today I had a big hormonal wobble due to achy hips/back and the fact that I couldn't go to the local breast feeding cafe/class this morning for silly reasons that all I wanted to do was have a good cry and fill the pool up and wallow in it for a couple of hours. Anyway, enough with the self pity... :)

I'm actually glad that we don't have the option of pethadine unless we transfer to hospital. I want to try to do this as best I can without the need for drugs such as pethadine. It's probably a good thing that the gas and air tanks only have 30 mins supply each too. I keep walking into my living room each morning and see my pool all pumped up and ready and I am excited about what will be happening in there soon - although today I had a big hormonal wobble due to achy hips/back and the fact that I couldn't go to the local breast feeding cafe/class this morning for silly reasons that all I wanted to do was have a good cry and fill the pool up and wallow in it for a couple of hours. Anyway, enough with the self pity... :)

Why not get in it>!? I would - sounds ideal when you are feeling that way
Xx

I just might do that if I feel like that again. OH would laugh if he came home and found me floating in the pool.

I'd have loved to have a big pool to get into in the last few weeks of pregnancy. This time even if I have a pool I would end up with company in the pool and a lot of splashing (damn toddler!)

im getting my pool on the 4th and i think i might blow it up and have ago. i will have to do it when zanes in bed tho lol as he will want to get in and it will give me time to practise incase i need to get the pool up and filled on the day by myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->