Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Yes I agree. Time to reflect is VERY important. It's taken my 17 years to get round to it! :lol:

lack of maternal effort!!!!????

wtf?

its not like you got to 10cm and though well i cant be arsed with this malarky.

I HATE the terms that crop up in notes..malpresentation, failure to progress, lack of maternal effort.

it boils my blood I mean how dare they use terms like that, I guess too many people never look at their notes so its never a concern but if you used terms like that to a persons face in most other jobs you would get reprimanded.

My SIL had "ARGUMENTATIVE MOTHER" written on her notes while she was looking so she could see it being written, shes the most chilled person Ive ever known. Has no resentment about her unneccaesarian and i rly cant imagine her being that bad. Id have shown em bloody argumentative!

I want argumentative mother written in my notes!!

I'm seriuosly thinking about birth reflections or getting my notes before this baby is born. Would probably be good to get them before my 20week consultant appointment on 5th August where "they" are going to "tell" me I'm not "allowed" a home birth.

i might contact my hospital and get my notes from zanes birth...altho they are so shite they have probably lost them :dohh: it will be interesting to see what the bitch i had for a mw wrote tho lol

That's ridiculouos, Merv's Mum, I can't beleive they would write that!

I don't know if I've said this before on here or not, but I was told "baby is in distress, I think it's time we do a c-section". Of course I said "do whatever you have to". Now I have my notes and it is underlined : NO FETAL DISTRESS. prior to that they gave me Synto, and noted:

Plan;
1 Syntocinon
2 Continuous Fetal Heart Monitoring
3 Inform Mr F (Surgeon)

For trial of 1 hour w synto, then re-examine if not significant progress for C/S. This was at 2:30, 3:30 came and funnily enough, no significant progress, so plan made to section. Didn't go into theater till 4:15 (that's how much of an emergency it all was, then), handily enough, "delivered" at 4:47pm, just in time for 5pm - I guess he got home for tea and Shortland Street (Kiwi soap). F***ers.

I'm not bitter, yeah right.

All through my notes there are anomalies, at one point I'm noted as 9cm w anterior lip, when I distinctly remember getting the urge to push, but further on I'm noted as only progressing to 7. DD turned posterior right on the midwife changeover and the midwife offered me pethidine, said "it might relax you enough to let baby come down". Despite intending to avoid the stuff like the plague, I accepted - it put me to sleep and stopped labour altogether. In the notes is says "requesting further pain relief" and "relaxed between contractions" Relaxed? I was sleeping for about half an hour at least!! DH confirms this. Then another midwife came on duty and it's noted "Nicola a little frustrated that contractions have slowed down" - my notes are testament to the whole disturbed labour causing interruption in hormonal flow, really - every time another midwife left and I got a new one, something went wrong with my labour. There's a whole page missing then, so who knows what rubbish they wrote, it jumps to the "plan" above.

Anyway, that's my rant for today over - I wish I'd got the notes sooner, I've spent 8 years thinking I was just crap and my body failed me, ah well, that journey has brought me to where I am now, so it's good in that respect.

I can't help feeling though that had I been better educated in Natural birth, my DD would have got the birth she deserved and a happier, calmer Mum as a result. I thought I'd read loads as well, but they were all pretty standard texts, I realise now. I did want to avoid pain relief but I had not thought of ending up in hospital (she was meant to be born in a birth centre with only G&A available, but my waters broke early so was advised to go to hospital as it was 3 hours away, in case labour didn't start and I'd need induced to avoid infection), so I hadn't written a birth plan and it all got really out of hand, as you can see. My own midwife left the practise when I had only a few weeks left to go as well, so I really was all at sea. The funny thing is as well, the other Midwife who was on call that day was an older lady who I'd been warned was pretty pro-intervention and loved a bit of Pethidine, so I think I agreed to trot off down to hospital to avoid her! How's that for Irony!

Hope you are all well, today ladies, sorry for the rant - once I start, I can't stop, DH is sick of listening to me...

That's a horrible term mm :shock: as you should be proud Emily is such an inelegant beautiful girl.

I would have been pretty proud of argumentative mother too :haha: but I had two really calm births and I don't think there was any chance to argue.

I think the most argumentative I got was in the ambulance after they made me get up and walk to the ambulance at home and climb the bloody steps into the back I said when we get to the hospital I am not bloody walking anywhere I cant!!

That was met by a giggle and don't worry love we'll push you in on the bed!

Oh and I slapped the MW's hand away once when she shoved the monitor into my tummy really hard as they were struggling to get babies heartbeat as he was so low. LOL that was met with a very polite 'please don't hit me'

Will they let you look at your notes during labour? Probably not if they tell porky pies about foetal distress etc

When i had Dewi they were left on the side so I could read them but I also was given them to take home so I could read everything except I've been told there would have been theatre notes which wouldnt have been in there.

This time I think they were clipped to the end of the bed not that I thought about it I presumed I'd be taking them home again. No such luck, but I should be getting them soon.

Listening to two woman here in the dentist singing the praises of medicated labors and criticising someone for not being induced. Sigh. Luckily I don't look that pregnant or I'd be in that conversation too and would end up in a row. Having a crappy day so looking for someone to take it out on!

i hate over hearing peoples conversations about labour, most of the things they are saying are rediculas lol
before i was planning my hb i always thought if i get to 14 days overdue max then i would induce but now aslong as the hospital would monitor us and things were good id let nature take its course

Nikki - I can't believe that they lied like that :growlmad: No wonder you feel the way you do :hugs:

A bit OT but has anyone else had problems trying to get oral vitamin K for their baby after a home birth. I'm having a right carry-on between the GP, midwife and pharmacist :wacko:

I've been told today by the pharmacist that the MW administers the same product whether it's orally or by injection? I was under the impression that the oral vitK was a smaller dose?..... anybody know? :shrug:

no idea as zane didnt have the vit k but i no u can get it after birth from ur health visitor.

this baby also wont be having vit k unless hes bruised

Nikki - sounds very similar to mine! I had a 'Plan' too, and I had about an hour before going for the CS once it was decided (MW was worried about the cervix swelling/baby - although noted no fetal distress) and my daughter was born at 4.44pm lol I wish I was more educated at the time, this birth is going to be so different :) Even if the result is the same (looking at it in an emergency) it WILL be different. And so will your's :thumbup:

A bit OT but has anyone else had problems trying to get oral vitamin K for their baby after a home birth. I'm having a right carry-on between the GP, midwife and pharmacist :wacko:

I've been told today by the pharmacist that the MW administers the same product whether it's orally or by injection? I was under the impression that the oral vitK was a smaller dose?..... anybody know? :shrug:

It's the same thing. Konakian, it's called. Whether given orally, by intramuscular injection or IV, it's the same (well, it's lower for extremely low birthweight babies...but that's a SCBU situation anyway). If given orally, the absorption isn't as good, so that's why a second dose is given, particularly with breastfed babies. Some Trusts don't even offer the oral option (it's IM or not at all) because of the poor absorption orally.

Just checked my notes, as the wee screed about Vit K was in there and it states as options: Vit K 1mg (.1ml) injected at birth, or 2mg by mouth at birth, at one week and 6 weeks if fully breastfed. Bottle fed babies only need the first dose.

Bear in mind this was from 2003 and in New Zealand, so probably check it's the same now/where you are.

No Nikki - that sounds like what the pharmacist said - 2 mg orally instead of 1mg by injection - thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->