Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Cranberry have you seen the home study hypno course? It's 36 quid plus I get an extra 10% off....I'll look for the link...

There you go...

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/509198-home-study-hypno-birth.html

I used the Mongan Method and took classes which were £200 becaue I like being 'taught' breathing techniques rather than learning them for myself. It also engaged my OH more as he was actually involved in the classes.

I've had great reviews on Natal Hypnotherapy too so its personal choice. They are all very similar :)

I found it a bit hard to choose tbh so will go with one someone else has already chosen :p I did speak to dh about the course but he preferred the cheaper version and I think he'd be a bit self conscious with others

You have a doula don't you cranberry? You will get the one to one with her and your OH at your antenatal preparation and you can do breathing techniques with her too :) win win!

Ah yes I forgot about that. Lovely

Bit early to start I reckon. Will get started about 20w But can get ready til then. I'm such an organiser! Gah.

I don't think you can start too early but there is a danger of getting jaded with the scripts etc if you do. 3rd tri onwards I think is a good time :)

i really need to start my hypno cd, ive done it once and i could feel it working. feel like ive got so much to do in the next few weeks

Ooo my maternity notes have been copied and are ready to collect!! :happydance: off to get them now!!

I'm looking forward to seeing mine so I can see what time things happened!

Does anyone know how I could find out the names of the ambulance crew that transferred me?

I've made a point of thanking the MW's involved in my care and realised it was a dang shame I hadn't thought about the ambulance crew who never get the thanks they deserve (anyone who has read 'blood sweat and tea' will understand what I mean)

Yes chuck contact the ambulance service HQ and they will be able to track them down pretty easily for you. My sister does that type of thing and the crews are always so grateful. Is Kent SE Coast Ambulance Service?

I guess so I'm Canterbury so not technically coastal. but east kent.

Well today I got my maternity notes back from all three pregnancies and births.

This came about after I was interviewed recently by a friend for her psychology degree and it got me thinking.....

I know it's going to take some time to process but I'm going to give you all my initial thoughts here I think.....

To give those of you who dont know me some context, Emily is almost 17 - hospital induction, Hebe is 2 - spontaneous labour in a birth centre and Sid is 1 - home birth.

The first thing that I read that really hit me about Emily's notes was the words 'lack of maternal effort'. That's what it said under complications. 'Delay second stage lack of maternal effort'. Apparently, I didnt try hard enough.

They said I was fully dilated at 13.35 and directed pushing commenced shortly after that. After an hour, my contractions were 'diminishing' (I had just one lot of prostin gel to start my labour then my waters went spontaneously) and so they administered syntocinon.

15.20 they decided to remove her with forceps and that happened at 15.58

It looks like my contractions slowed for a while after I was found to be fully. I've since had this 'latent/rest and be thankful phase' when fully with both Sid and Hebe and instead of resting and being thankful they 'pushed on'. They used synt to try and get the contractions going again. Even though I had an epidural in it says I was exhausted before this. Why didn't they just let me rest I wonder. I'm glad I always talk to women about this happening. The thought of women being directed to push when their body isnt telling them to just because someone's fingers say they should be, is one that really bothers me.

Emily's CTG was never a concern - always fine. It's left me wondering if a little more time and patience she might have had a gentler birth.

Interestingly, they describe it as 'spontaneous onset of labour'. There was nothing spontaneous about that MW inserting the gel into my vagina! :lol:

Fortunately I have had two amazingly empowering births since and know how it can be. I had very little support or knowledge at that time when I was having Emily BUT her birth is incredibly important in my journey. Firstly because I got my gorgeous (if a little hormonal at times!) eldest daughter who I am very, very proud of but also because her birth brought me to my next two births and is part of who I am as a woman. So I thank her for teaching me so much.

I'm now working up to talking to her about it all. I think the whole 'lack of maternal effort' thing has made me feel like she's owed an apology....

MM It sounds more like 'lack of staff effort' to me, I'm sure not any 'lack of' on your part! You're right, knowing what you know now that all that pushing was only making you knackered and you should have had the 'rest and be thankful' time. Medical terms really annoy me, so impersonal and from looking at mine, just seems they need a reason in a box sometimes ;)

That term 'lack of maternal effort' is awful :(

Im considering getting my notes from Seth's birth to read through now as there is so many gaps from the pethedine that I can't remember and I regret not remembering them.

Hope you're ok hun must have been hard to read when they make silly notes like that :hugs:

xxx

I'm fine tbh. Part of your preparation to be a doula is obviously de briefing your own experiences so I've dealt with everything as I remembered it. And I constantly reflect as part of my own development so it's all helpful in that respect. It's just the impersonal terms as Indigo said that can be rough! But I'm not sad I just need to do the final part of my debrief which is to talk to Emily about it them I'm going all hippy and going to do soe birth art in a few weeks! :lol:

I think it's a good idea to leave a bit of time between the experience of birth and reading your notes. Need time for things to be less raw and any resentment to fade a bit before you read an impersonal medical account of the experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->