Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Found out I can't get covered for home birth here in Spain - really annoyed as I don't see what right any government has to dictate how I birth MY child. So I either go to hospital late as possible in labour, risking giving birth en route, or I hire a private midwife (with experience but no insurance cover) or doula and go it alone. Not a happy bunny!

Hi! :hi:

I hope I can join. My second baby is due 10th August, and I'm a home birth hopeful!

My first labour was only 4 hours long from show to delivery, and the hospital is a 45 minute drive away, so - to save my husband having to deliver in the car on the side of the road - we have decided it would be best to go for a home birth. I'm so excited about this! :D

I had absolutely no complications with Harrison's labour/delivery - just that it was swift and intense! I really wanted a water birth, but there was no time! So I'm hoping to hire a pool this time and go for it. :thumbup:

Hello again, ladies! Didn't think I would be back here so soon! I am tentatively (only one positive test so far) expecting #3 in early-ish October! Hoping for another successful home birth! Will be going the way of UP/UC once again!

La mere congrats :) I'm due 5th oct so a hopefull again (was transferred in with my youngest unnecessary :-(. )

Oh didn't notice the UP UC good on you :)
I'm hoping to have a deliberate BBA!

UP is unassisted pregnancy and UC is unassisted childbirth- no input from mw or any medics/uss etc. x

La mere congrats :) I'm due 5th oct so a hopefull again (was transferred in with my youngest unnecessary :-(. )

Congrats, ljo! I was transferred with my oldest after about 15.5 hours of labor but was able to have a successful unassisted home birth last year with my youngest.

Whats a BBA?

Congrats to you both!

La Mere what, if anything do you do yourself during the duration of your pregnancy?

Oh and that was asked in a completely curious way only. I hated how managed my last pregnancy was simply due to breech and when I get pregnant again I might just consider showing up at the hospital for the birth and forego everything else (UC isn't for us, and we can't afford a midwife to homebirth and we dont have access to a birth center).

Oh didn't notice the UP UC good on you :)
I'm hoping to have a deliberate BBA!

UP is unassisted pregnancy and UC is unassisted childbirth- no input from mw or any medics/uss etc. x

Thanks, ljo! It's an awesome experience and also thank you for the explanation!

Whats a BBA?

Congrats to you both!

La Mere what, if anything do you do yourself during the duration of your pregnancy?

Oh and that was asked in a completely curious way only. I hated how managed my last pregnancy was simply due to breech and when I get pregnant again I might just consider showing up at the hospital for the birth and forego everything else (UC isn't for us, and we can't afford a midwife to homebirth and we dont have access to a birth center).

Thanks, NDH!! I did my own fundal height measurements, I have my own doppler to check baby's heart beat and as I got into the later months of pregnancy I didn't my own urinalysis testing. (bought test strips off of Amazon.) Also once I reached about 36-37 weeks, I started using my Epi-no to help lessen the chances of tearing and prepare for dilation and delivery. (I used it with my forst pregnancy and didn't tear a bit.)

BBA is birth before arrival (of a mw) it'll all happen "so quick" we don't get time to call ;-) obviously unless I decide I need her there then would call sooner. Just want to listen to my instincts for once :)

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still a hopeful. My beautiful second daughter was born on 26.01 in hospital via ventouse as I developed an infection at home and needed to be in hospital. It was a long and difficult labour but immensely fulfilling nonetheless and I was still able to achieve my VBAC. It wasn't the peaceful home water birth VBAC I was hoping for but it healed a lot of the wounds left from my first daughter's birth.

Had my home birth last night :) Joseph James was born at 00.06 in the water after a very speedy 3 hour labour!

Congrats Laura and peanut on your babies.

Sorry you never got your wanted HBAC but managing a VBAC is wonderful, well done to you xx
Peanut, wow quick!!

I have my home birth visit tomorrow and they are dropping off the kit too!! So excited!!
Has a scare today when they thought baby was breech but presentation scan later, and baby is head down! Yay!! xxx

Cgrats on the new babies!

Ladies I am so excited and not many will understand so I have to share it here. I'm not pregnant yet but I'm once again a hopeful! I've been a hopeful since I was a teenager as where I grew up at church homebirths were the norm, almost expected, and hospital births were deemed "weird" lol. I knew who would have been my midwife and I never even entertained the idea of not having a home birth.

But then 2 years into our ttc journey we moved to Australia. Before I was pregnant I tried looking into home births but couldn't find how to find a private midwife, and learned that they're not covered by medicare. By the time I was 6 months pregnant I finally stumbled upon a midwife, but my husband had been unemployed for six months and we were in bad shape financially so paying $3-4000 for a home birth when I could have a hospital birth for free was kind of a no brainer. It did end up being a positive experience at least.

Second time around dh had at least been working for a year and a half but work was slow and inconsistent so we decided once again we'd better plan on the free option again, but I hired a doula and signed up for a student midwife so at least I'd have continuity of care. And then I ended up with a breechling and at 38 weeks when faced with a cesarean at my local hospital at 39 weeks or a three hour drive to a hospital that supported breech births we once again entertained the idea of a home birth. The IM was lovely and encouraging but not able to take me on so late, but she did out me in a great headspace, and two and a half weeks later I traveled three hours and rocked that VBB 2 hours after arriving at hospital not yet in established labour. The midwife joked (or maybe not) that it would be a home birth for me next time, and hubby agreed.

But then his work all but dried up (he was still working, but averaging maybe 10 hours a week) and then he decided to go back to school which severely limits when he's even available to work, so I once again resigned myself to the fact that I may never get a homebirth while living in a country that doesn't cover them the same as hospital births. But I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety around getting pregnant again and once again having to stand up for the birth I want (which isn't even the birth I really want).

Sorry for the essay, but I feel like sharing my history will help you better realize just how excited I am. Well yesterday I calculated that having a third child will increase the family tax benefit I receive by enough that we can make monthly payments and have the birth paid off in a year (or less if I can find a midwife registered with medicare as then I'll get a rebate for antenatal care) without infringing on our current income.

Hubby has given the OK, so now I just need to get pregnant again and I can start preparing for the home birth I've always wanted :yipee::yipee::yipee:

In retrospect its really good I had hospital births for the first two, as my second really made me grow a lot. If my first had been born at home I would have had my second at home as well and there wouldn't have been any drama about her being breech (the midwife is very experienced with breech births) and I would have gone on to have a very lovely and empowering breech home birth I'm sure, but being in the hospital and having to stand up for myself and my baby grew me in a way that wouldn't have happened at home. Am I mad that I had to be stressed and put up a fight and be inconvenienced? Absolutely. But now that I look back I can see that its good it happened that way and embrace that experience. (And hopefully never have to do it again lol. For myself anyway)

Good luck with TTC, and hope you get your desired home both this time hun xxx

Due date tomorrow for me avoiding to scan dates but not by LMP or ovulation date! Sigh!! and yday my mid wife mentioned the I word! Induction! At only 39+5! She wanted to book me in for 42 weeks because it can be heard to get a ' slot' otherwise, she said! I declined! But now feel as though baby will need induced, silly I know I am not even term yet and she had taken away my optimism!

xxx

Urgh hate that they push to induce!! It's now 41 weeks here!! They can get lost lol. X

You won't need induction baby will come when it's good and ready :)

I want in on this ! I definitely want a home water birth if possible :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->