Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Oh wow congratulations! and a big welcome Rjayne.

We are all here for you for support! I do hope you get your homebirth - don't worry too much about the OH he'll come round. It is difficult at first to change a thinking process that some people have had since they were small. As most people think that babies are born in hospital, without really ever stopping to think about it. So be gentle with him, I'm sure on evidence and information he will realise that a planned for HB is one of the safest and totally awesome ways to come into the world. He will also be tickled pink when you have your HB, as the birthing partners get to play such an integral role, and he won't have to leave you and your new baby in hospital on the night following your birth. There are so many great things about it!

When I found this thread it was about 70 or so pages and I read it all too.. but now it's nearing 200!!! So both you and CatusGirl are already well prepared! I do so hope you don't experience any problems, but even if you do, we are all here to help, and offer support.

MervsMum is the thread Guru, but she will be a little bit busy, I suspect for a while. But if you let her know your due date, she could pop you on the first page of our list of HB hopefuls.

It is a brazzledazzle day!
xxx

Hello Cactusgirl, jul14o, and rjayne! Nice to 'meet' you.

I'm quite happy today, I got my Maternity Allowance letter saying I will get the full amount, noticed that my HIP grant had gone into the bank account, and we got our car seat and isofix base delivered!

And although I'm not 'nesting' yet (I'm supposed to be writing up my Master's thesis but keep distracting myself) my husband seems to be.

He has fixed our dripping shower, which involved him crawling around under the floorboards to get at the plumbing, and is now back down there putting in wiring for a thermostat for our recently installed boiler. At the weekend we bought a dishwasher which he plumbed in himself. I'm impressed!

Next job the isofix base being fitted into the car.

..more good news excellent!
Hehehe!! Well done your Hubby!!

oh and i'm sorry ladies, i've been posting on the side...
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...your-life-might-depend-documentary-added.html
i have already appologised for my headline, but it is all true data.

Hello Cactusgirl, jul14o, and rjayne! Nice to 'meet' you.

I'm quite happy today, I got my Maternity Allowance letter saying I will get the full amount, noticed that my HIP grant had gone into the bank account, and we got our car seat and isofix base delivered!

And although I'm not 'nesting' yet (I'm supposed to be writing up my Master's thesis but keep distracting myself) my husband seems to be.

He has fixed our dripping shower, which involved him crawling around under the floorboards to get at the plumbing, and is now back down there putting in wiring for a thermostat for our recently installed boiler. At the weekend we bought a dishwasher which he plumbed in himself. I'm impressed!

Next job the isofix base being fitted into the car.

Bournefree, I have been lurking on that thread some real valid points you have been making, I knew some people wouldnt like it though but good on you for getting the message out there.

Urban Bumpkin what Masters are you doing?..I am always interested in hearing about others academic stuff.

x

Huge congrats MM big hugs to u
Also congrats Nikki-Lou fingers crossed for you

OMG just had a look at the first page for a reference to something and noticed I'm now 5 th on the list woooohoooo
Ds finished for easter hols today so any time now would be fine with me

OMG just had a look at the first page for a reference to something and noticed I'm now 5 th on the list woooohoooo
Ds finished for easter hols today so any time now would be fine with me

I know, I was thinking its going to be you soon..how are you feeling any niggles? Ive only just started getting braxton hicks x

Congratulations Lisa!!! He's beautiful and I can't wait to hear all about your home birth!!!

congrats lisa i cant wait to here about your homebirth :)

I am so excited for mine now :) the MW came today not my usual one as she was off sick but the one hat did come was very nice and said she may see me again at the birth as she does HB :)

bubs is doing great she is head down but free but i know she is getting ready to move down as i keep getting twinges in my cervix she is ceph posterior right. My birth pool also arrived today and i am going to give it a trial run tonight or tomorrow :D

Urban Bumpkin what Masters are you doing?..I am always interested in hearing about others academic stuff.

x

It is an MPhil - research by practice. I'm looking at the structures around participative public art events and how they can be set up to improve the experience for participants. A quite random subject, but quite useful to the work I do! And I am supposed to be mostly finished in the next day or so. Well, I was actually supposed to be finished last October, but my morning sickness kicked in and I couldn't even look at the computer screen!

Now I just don't want to look at it because I am sick of the subject! Are you studying?

Bournefree - that thread is really interesting. I was very surprised when I read about the high US mortality rates in Ina May, and the info doesn't seem to be out there in the general public domain.

You are so right about it being about having knowledge and choice. I think it is really interesting that those on this thread who have ended up with a hospital birth seem to have had really good calm positive ones (in the circumstances), even though it wasn't the original plan. I'm sure it is to do with 'having' to do more research for a home birth and therefore being empowered and knowing what the options are when transferred to hospital. I hope if I end up in hospital for whatever reason then I will be able to be the same.

And congratulations, Nikki-Lou!

Hi Everyone

This is mental, I feel like I know you all already.... mainly because I spent most of my day at work yesterday and most of my evening reading this thread from start to finish! I even forgot to eat dinner, that's how enthralling you lot are so well done

Quick post for now as I'm at work and about to get kicked off (lunchtime only internet sucks)!

I'm 23 weeks pregnant (dont know about the + thing cos my head really isn't with all this preggo jarg yet lol) and desperate for a home birth. First baby and OH really isn't keen on the home thing, reading this site has really made my mind up so I'm hoping it will his too

I'm due on July 29th and we think "it" is a she

Hey! :) My DH is American....and a bloke :)haha:) and I'm from the UK so he hadn't even heard of/considered homebirth (let alone waterbirth) when I mentioned it... He wasn't particularly enthralled with the idea - this was before I was preg I think....and basically thought it was safer at the hospital etc etc...

Well he's being very supportive now and is all for the home/hypno/waterbirth I have planned :) The first baby is supposed to be the 'best' to homebirth with; they say this because everything moves much slower with your first baby, meaning that if anything goes wrong, it won't happen 'all of a sudden' the majority of the time...it will be something that your healthcare professional can pick up on, monitor and decide whether or not you need to be transferred... :)

This is the link that quelled some of my concerns on the 'first baby' front...

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/firstbaby.htm

I tried to get DH to read it...he read some, not sure if all, but he's behind me now! :winkwink:

xx

That's great I will try and get him to sit down and have a read :)

I'm planning to get a birthing pool, OH is just worried our super soppy but slightly hyper staffie will jump in lol

That's great I will try and get him to sit down and have a read :)

I'm planning to get a birthing pool, OH is just worried our super soppy but slightly hyper staffie will jump in lol

It's pretty informative and reassuring :)

Haha!! That would be a surprise! :lol: We're boarding our cat I think, he'd probably jump into/onto the pool and start clawing at it :dohh:

xx

Good plan, I tried scratch mits on the hound but they were too small :)

Freaked me out actually, we have no babies in our family and haven't for over 20 years... the last time I held a baby was over 4 years ago.... how can I look after something that small without loosing her down the back of the sofa!!!

I'm using my stock thought "it's totally natural, it's what I was created to do" to make the panic go away lol

Haha!! That would be a surprise! :lol: We're boarding our cat I think, he'd probably jump into/onto the pool and start clawing at it :dohh:

xx

This is why I have hired a solid sided pool with a lid! Then we will just shut our cat in one room when it gets to crunch time.

I haven't held a baby since I was about 10, rjayne. My husband has never held one. A friend who had a baby recently and wants us to go 'practice' on his, but my husband is refusing as he says he has got this far, so he might as well hold out. That way the first baby he holds is his own!

I had a bit of a moment looking at the car seat earlier "agghhh, going to have something to put in that soon".

I was thinkin that about the 4d!

How are you feelin hun? How's that bump comin along?

Hi Nikki - I am feeling good thank you! Bump growing by the day! Met with Michelle earlier so feeling very positive at the moment!

And get you and your big news! Congratulations to you and the family! :happydance:

rjayne46 - we have 2 welsh springers who love the water so can imagine them trying to get in the birthing pool too!!

Met again with my doula today and feeling very positive about everything. I have come such a long way since that Amanda Holden programme last year where I ended up hyperventiating, crying and screaming 'there is no way I can do that'!! I went into complete denial after that!

I really think my decision to have a homebirth has helped with my mindset now - and someone mentioned earlier in the thread that homebirth is not just somewhere to have your baby - it is a state of mind. And I would like to think that if I do end up being transferred then if I can keep the state of mind then it could still be a positive experience!

I am in a very loving mood this evening so :hugs: all round!!

Our cat would be an absolute pain in the butt generally, so we've decided to just get him out of our hair completely :) It's only like $15 per night to board him, so the vets can entertain his attention seeking little bum for a night or two :lol:

I've held my brother as a very tiny baby, that was about 4 years ago - I love when they're really tiny :) DH said he's worried about 'transfers' eg passing baby from one person to the other :lol:

I'm mostly 'worried'...about diaper/nappy changes, because I've never changed one! DH has, his younger brother's, so he thinks he'll have to teach me...Urm, I don't learn well from other people like that :lol: Think it'll just be a case of having a go and if the nappy falls off when I pick her up, DH can do it :rofl:

xx

By the way can someone recommend a hypnobirthing book/CD? I have seen the Mongan Method on Amazon - is that the best one??

By the way can someone recommend a hypnobirthing book/CD? I have seen the Mongan Method on Amazon - is that the best one??

A lot of people recommend that one... I'm doing a home study course - Hypnobabies, which is similar, but promotes plenty of movement (eg walking around, position changes etc) during labour - whereas the hypnobirthing isn't designed for you to be as 'aware' of your surroundings (this is just what I've understood from the Hypnobabies description in my booklet and a little bit of googling...) the Hypnobabies teaches you to make it easier for you to slip back into hypnosis when you need to... I'm doing the home study course because it's meant to be more comprehensive. :thumbup:

So far DH (birthing partner gets his own booklet :lol:) and I have basically understood that it's about altering your perception of birth to something positive (rather than what most TV shows and movies suggest) and I've been banned from watching Birth Day etc on TLC :lol: I'm liking it so far, but obviously can't comment on the Mongan Method stuff, as I haven't gone far enough into it to be able to!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->