• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home deliver grocery shopping and out of date products

Dragonfly

Mother of 4
Reaction score
Do you get home delivery to your house? if so have you noticed out of date products?

I know I have and wanted to see if there was some sort of growing trend here as I order of both sainsburys and tesco online as they are not near me and I dont have a car. Todays out of date product was two loaves of bread which I have to scrap last weeks was 3 days out of date ham and before that numerous meat products. Thats just sainsbuys same with tesco only their meat is also bad before sell by date !

Now in their apology email which I get all the time now its apparently uncommon but dosnt seem that way with me at all and a few others I know that have had to bin stuff.

Am i paranoid in thinking they are either stupid or getting rid of products that no one will buy in store due to date as we cant choose . They are suppose to be our eyes on the shop floor after all. And sadly all seem to be doing it now.

Sounds like it's poor management of the specific store TBH because if a perishable such as ham is out of date it shouldn't even be on the shop floor for the home delivery people to pick from.

I'm sure you do get things which are closer to expiry though than if you choose yourself due to stock rotation. ie the stores put the things expiring first at the front of the shelf and things with longer expiry behind to encourage the consumer to take the one expiring first and thus the store doesn't have to bin as much and lose profit. Now if I am buying say milk, I look at the expiry dates and usually take from the back (naughty) so I get a longer one. I am sure most of the people that fill the trolleys for home delivery just pick the closest thing for speed and convenience and thus likely to have a short expiry. But they shouldn't be able to choose something perishable out of date as the management should have ensured it was removed from the shelf.

In summary, no it hasn't happened to me. But I do sometimes get pissed off with replacements / substitutions. My shopping comes from a massive Tesco by Wembley stadium. Last time I ordered white toilet roll (Tesco own brand, 12 rolls) which was on a special offer. They didn't bring me any toilet roll as they didn't have the one I ordered! Now I'm sorry but I fail to believe there was no toilet roll in the entire huge Tesco store! they should have replaced with a more expensive pack for the same price according to their policy. Annoying. and I had to send OH out for toilet roll.

because tesco price match , so they would have to give you it for less the dear stuff so they just dont give you anything sometimes. They done that with cat food , like they never had any other cat food to sub when they where out of that brand? and some of the sibs are stupid to. My cereal is gluten free, so when its not in they send me ...wait for it......a pack of dairy free buttons! how the hell is that similar to a massive box of cereal?? even the drivers laugh as they done it more than once, I wish asda would do deliveries but they are far also.

I've had horrible experiences with Tesco delivery; very close to date (not off but not something I'd pick up myself in the store) and damaged stuff, even their delivery people smashing bottles while putting the things in my kitchen and then legging it when pointed out to them. I only order from Ocado now; they price match with tesco and while substitutions sometimes cost more with them; they are rare because they get it all from a big warehouse; and all items have at least 3 days on the date. A couple of items have been damaged on rare occasion but they have an automated no quibbles refund section on the site and they always refund you the full amount (even if the item is still useable). So no need to mess about calling them etc.

We dont have ocado here. Just sainsbusys and tesco. This week i went with tesco as sainsbusyrs seens to be worse on sending out of date stuff now. I hate when the claim its rare yet its a weekly occurrence I am calling with it for.

Ocado are expanding so at some point they may be in your neck of the woods, well worth a try if they do, even my mum and dad bedgrudgingly admit they are the best (they have reverse supermarket snobbery lol).

asda have done it to me twice first was a loaf of bread a week past its date and mouldy:sick: second time it was a pack of pork chops 2days passed their date
i called and was refunded the cost of the item but the first time they tried to deny the bread woulod be mouldy so i actually got my gran to drive me to asda to show them how bad the bread was they gave me ..... £2 on a gift card (cost more in petrol to get there)

Ive never had them past, get few out of date the day they arrive for next day

I used to do the online shopping for people in the store at sainsbury's. They are supposed to look for the product that is furthest date out. That's the training anyway. And if something was on offer, and its not there, they are supposed to substitute with something in that offer. Though the stupid price gun thing usually makes the suggestions on substitutions, and it was sometimes crazy! So if you get a lazy person picking your groceries, they probably are just doing what the machine tells them to do instead of using their heads and looking to see what you actually ordered to find a reasonable substitute.

And since I actually did the job, it does tick me off when I get an 18 pack of yogurts for my son that goes off 2 days later! How quickly do they think we can eat 18 yogurts!? And the substitutions when the product is in an offer, and they screw it all up over one thing!

I went for tesco this time and got a perfect order, no out of date stuff or subs! WOW! Thankfully. I know sainsburys would have not had half the stuff in or subed me crap subs like vegetarian food for gluten free food which is all totally different as the vegetarian all had gluten in it. Or pack of choc buttons for cereal!

I've only had deliveries from Asda. Never had anything out of date, but I have had a 7-9pm delivery slot with multiple products going out of date the same day :growlmad:

I've had the odd weird substitution and once, a big pot of yoghurt that expired that day, but other than that no real problems. We normally use Tesco but have also used Sainsbury's, Asda and Ocado. I like with Tesco that you can add a note to the picker so you can say what substitutions would be ok or make specific requests (which in my experience they do pay attention to).

because tesco price match , so they would have to give you it for less the dear stuff so they just dont give you anything sometimes. They done that with cat food , like they never had any other cat food to sub when they where out of that brand? and some of the sibs are stupid to. My cereal is gluten free, so when its not in they send me ...wait for it......a pack of dairy free buttons! how the hell is that similar to a massive box of cereal?? even the drivers laugh as they done it more than once, I wish asda would do deliveries but they are far also.

One of my colleagues ordered 10 lemons from tesco online as she was planning to make a lemon cake. she got a substitution of lemon cif (the household cleaner), yummy!

One of my colleagues ordered 10 lemons from tesco online as she was planning to make a lemon cake. she got a substitution of lemon cif (the household cleaner), yummy!
https://s2.bbstatic.com/images/smilies/haha.gif
:haha: that made me laugh! you think they would have common sence thats even what they told me on the phone when i called to ask why they kept gviing me cheap apples for bramley ones and charging me for bramley on the recipe but that can be a mistake for someone not familiar with apples and baking but lemons and cif is not lol

did she get like 7 of cif cleaners? :haha:

i have come to realise tesco arnt as bad as sainsburys now and i only was with sainsburys for 3 months and they have outweighed tesco by 3 years or ordering and getting mess ups. well cant be perfect but tesco do have it right sometimes sainsburys dont have it right any time. I wish asda done deliveries here they are cheaper.

Also met the most in your face driver in tesco the other day, nice girl no harm in her but my head was wreaked listening to her change conversations 20 times in a few mins of unloading the van and not getting the chance to answer she was that excitable. :wacko:

yes i had and called for refund

i've always had things in date with tesco's when i get delievered i did however have a really crap delievery driver a few weeks ago that didn't even bring the shopping up the stairs (we live in a flat) but did however complain and get £10 off my next shop

xx

Never helped me none of the drivers when I was heavily pregnant with William or this one just threw it on my step and had me scrambling around rebagging stuff they never bothered to bag. Thought that was so unhelpful! not a decent one helped just stood there with that thing i have to sign why I pick it all up!

https://s2.bbstatic.com/images/smilies/haha.gif
:haha: that made me laugh! you think they would have common sence thats even what they told me on the phone when i called to ask why they kept gviing me cheap apples for bramley ones and charging me for bramley on the recipe but that can be a mistake for someone not familiar with apples and baking but lemons and cif is not lol

did she get like 7 of cif cleaners? :haha:

i have come to realise tesco arnt as bad as sainsburys now and i only was with sainsburys for 3 months and they have outweighed tesco by 3 years or ordering and getting mess ups. well cant be perfect but tesco do have it right sometimes sainsburys dont have it right any time. I wish asda done deliveries here they are cheaper.

Also met the most in your face driver in tesco the other day, nice girl no harm in her but my head was wreaked listening to her change conversations 20 times in a few mins of unloading the van and not getting the chance to answer she was that excitable. :wacko:

yep she got 10 bottles!

today i am hacked off with Tesco again. from this morning they started stocking tots bots easyfits (reusable nappies) alongside disposables. it's a brand lots of people on here rave about and i really want to try. plus they are doing them cheaper than any of the online retailers who stock them! they aren't in all stores but they ARE in the one i get my delivery from (according to tesco) but guess what? THEY AREN'T ON THE BLOODY WEBSITE YET FOR DELIVERY!!! aarghhhh

yeah i noticed they havnt got anything online like in store. I know they have gluten free frozen instore but none online! they have put some more junk food for gf food on though they predictably done that when sainsburys started to deliver so looks like they had a shake up. Though I doubt they will have these nappies on my end when I click on offers i get a message saying none in my store.

10 bottles? do they have any common sence? even a girl who worked in customer services said she would think common sence would happenl with the way they sub and pack things. Sadly there seems to be really stupid people there, not all I cant say that for all but who does these things lol

Sounds like it's poor management of the specific store TBH because if a perishable such as ham is out of date it shouldn't even be on the shop floor for the home delivery people to pick from.

I agree, my sainsburys is great, sister works here and said her and co workers only pick the sock with the longest life :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->