Home schooling

Buttonnose I don't know if your nr hebdenbridge bridge but there's a lovely montissori school there it's small class they don't start proper school till 6or 7 and they do gcse as and when there ready. They also flexible school so Monday us homeschool day and you don't gave to full for days till 7 or older. There's also a Steiner school there to. X

Im interested in it, I have spent a lot of time reading about it. I am not sure I am able to do it though. I am dyslexic and although I am educated uo to degree level I still doubt my ability to teach him right.

I plan to send him to school and see, if I need him I will pull him out and teach at home until secondery school!

If I had the money I would private school him part of the week and home school him another so he got the best of both worlds, there is loads of advantages to home schooling.

Im interested in it, I have spent a lot of time reading about it. I am not sure I am able to do it though. I am dyslexic and although I am educated uo to degree level I still doubt my ability to teach him right.

I plan to send him to school and see, if I need him I will pull him out and teach at home until secondery school!

If I had the money I would private school him part of the week and home school him another so he got the best of both worlds, there is loads of advantages to home schooling.

You can send him to state school part time and home educate part time. It's called flexischooling. You just need to find a head teacher who will agree to it. :)

* Where/how do you find local home schooling or home educating groups? I just read the local council website and they say they provide support through a educational social worker too ensure the children really are being taught at home, but would they know of local groups also?
It's usually a matter of trawling the web tbh. local libraries sometimes have info as well though.

* do you doubt your ability too teach at home? I am concerned that I wouldn't be able too teach them everything they need too know?
I continually doubt myself, it's part of being a parent that goes against the norm. Tbh I think it's important to doubt your ability as then it helps to drive you to improve yourself for the benefit of your children. You can never teach them all that they need to know, but you can give them the skills and abilities to enable them to go out and learn all that they need to know. This to me is a key difference between school and home ed, in school children are taught what we think they need to know, with home ed children are equipped with the skills they need to learn all that they want to know.

* are there any issues getting children into mainstream school after being home educated? (I think if I did home educate I would only do it until they were maybe 7/8 years old)
No issues at all, the local authorities would rather your child was in school as then they get more funding for them, they'll fall over themselves to help you get your kids in school lol.

* do these children have too sit the same exams/tests as they would have too in school? and if I did home educate till 16 then what happens about GCSE's ect .... is it advisable too have them sit those?
No they don't have to. I was home educated until I has 16, then I chose to go into a further education college and do some courses and sit some exams, I went on to go to university. My brother, on the other hand, chose to start work at 16 with no qualifications. He only has vocational qualifications and has done bloody well for himself.

Eternal hun, I began home schooling my older two in September, and it's brilliant! They are lots happier, and my daughter in particular has really come on academically. If you or any of the other ladies here have questions about the logistics of schooling a large family or just home ed in general, then please feel free to ask.

For what it's worth I think you'd be brilliant at it. The main issues I face are other people's attitudes to it (since we are a country firmly steeped in tradition schooling), and the confidence to know that I am getting it right. ThatI'm sure will come with time and experience tho. I am degree educated but firmly believe you don't need to be to do it. There are many people educated way beyond their intelligence anyway, and having a degree or not, doesn't automatically make you a good teacher. :hugs:

Marley- thanks so much for your informative post. It is really good to read about your experiences as an adult who was home schooled. I find it a relatively isolating experience because so few people I meet do it, and so many more are critical of it. I also worry that I am getting it right always, which as you pointed out is not a bad thing because it makes us strive to do better.

I love having the kids with me more, and taking control of their education. They were privately educated before, and I had no complaints about their school, but felt I could do a better job primarily because no one knows them as well as I do. It felt wrong to send the kids away for 8hrs every day, and there was little option for half days or part time in our area.

We make sure to do lots of after school stuff with them so that they get to mix with and meet a variety of different kids, and so far its working really well xxx

One reason I wouldn't home school is I would want my kid to have the social interaction that you can only get in a school setting. She's going to have to learn how to work and play well with others her own age. I'm sure home schooled kids do get those opportunities too, but a traditional school setting would be a bit more convenient.

One reason I wouldn't home school is I would want my kid to have the social interaction that you can only get in a school setting. She's going to have to learn how to work and play well with others her own age. I'm sure home schooled kids do get those opportunities too, but a traditional school setting would be a bit more convenient.

actually thats not true. You dont need 28 kids everyday around you for 8hrs a day to learn to "socialize" and what exactly will your LO pick up on "socializing" with these 28 kids? Wouldnt you like some control over what your kids are around?

My DD1 is Homeschooled and we are part of Girl Scouts, a Homeschool Group, Library Club, and MOPS. I didnt have to pay for a single membership in any of those groups.
Just this week- DD has Scouts tonight, Mops on Wednesday and then Friday is a Skating Party with the local Homeschool Group. How much more interaction does she need?

Do you take your child to the playground? Daycare? Do they know how to talk, play and interact with other kids? If they dont, I WOULD be worried about socialization. They DONT NEED Public School to "Socialize"!!!!

You "Socialize" a dog, Children "Interact".

One thing we should keep in mind though is that public school will only expose a child to interaction with their peers, or others their own age and mental level. However, most of the world is not made up of their "peers". What about socialization with everyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->