Home schooling

Indy! It's 'writes them off' not 'rights them off'

Tutt tutt!!

*disclaimer* this is meant in jest, I feel this slight slip has no bearing on Indys opinions and I would not have corrected her had she not been a teacher ;) I realise my own grammar leaves much to be desired and I am simply being a naughty pedant *disclaimer*

:haha:Tee hee. That is what you get for posting in anger, while petting a cat and talking to your husband about tomorrow's lunch.

Actually peed off that I did that......never make those types of errors!

is there a home educator i can talk to one on one (pm), ive been really looking into it lately and love the idea, but my OH hates the idea x

im not one as yet but ive done alot of reaserch in to it and flexi schooling so pm me if you want x

I Homeschool but i dont know the rules/laws in Europe so i may not be much help.

thanks girls :) im really loving the idea but OH just isnt sold at all :(

Im on the fence

The plan for lo is private education (not boarding school), if things change and we can't afford it, then i would try and get him in to a decent public school and if we were told that LO was to be schooled at a crappy school then i would home school

thanks girls :) im really loving the idea but OH just isnt sold at all :(

It might help him to talk to other homeschooling dads and attend a Homeschool Convention. i know at ours (the Midwest Homeschool Convention) they had male speakers speaking directly to homeschooling dads.

DH was on the fence at first but i showed him the curriculum options, the laws, the ins and outs, but most of all i said the magic words
"Lets just try it and if it works they continue, if not well Public School"
well it worked and he saw results. :)

In Ohio, i dont have to register DD1 or 2 until they are 6, so i can "try it out" until then. :haha:

Me and oh had a big chat about home schooling last night and we are more and more 'up for it!' at least until the kids suggest they would like to be formally school (if they do)

Which is cool!

I would love to send j to nursery though so I'm sad that won't be happening :(

I am thinking more and more I may have to homeschool my son. Does anyone have any info on special needs homeschooling? Thanks xx

I am thinking more and more I may have to homeschool my son. Does anyone have any info on special needs homeschooling? Thanks xx

I did know a lady who was HE her two special needs children; but I have lost contact with her now. One of her sons was autistic the other had been severely brain damaged at birth and was just being shoved in a corner in his wheelchair at the special school he was attending, he had been pretty much written off as being of low IQ and unable to learn, my friend knew that mentally he was quite normal just physically he was locked into a body that couldn't do much and she managed to get him up to a level of learning that was close to other children his age. Her two children who were not SEN she sent them to school. Have you seen this site?

https://www.he-special.org.uk/

Thank you very much, will look!

I dont really know what I am doing but if this tribunal falls through I will have no choice xx

There are loads of HE families that have SEN kids, many of whom have chosen to HE due to the failure to provide what their kids need.

well i ordered next years curriculum yesterday and i bought our tickets to the local homeschool convention. :happydance::happydance:

I'm a bit late on this thread and it's a bit old now but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?:flower:

Firstly lo was born on 26th august so would be only just turned 4 when he starts school. I've got a couple of years to think about it but I have decided that I will definitely be keeping him home until he is 5 or 6, or even 7 as a minimum, with a view to seeing how he enjoys it. What I was wondering is, if I do decide that he would thrive in school and if he wants to then can he just join a school at whatever age after previously being homeschooled? And will he be able to go in a class with others his age?

Secondly, and this is the part that worries me a bit, do those of you who homeschool find you have to be quite sociable in order to meet other hoomeschoolers and do activities to further learning and play? I haven't got a big group of people I spend time with and I would love for lo to not inherit my shyness/antisocialness/low confidence around new people. Do you have to just get out there?

Tia:flower:

I'm a bit late on this thread and it's a bit old now but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help?:flower:

Firstly lo was born on 26th august so would be only just turned 4 when he starts school. I've got a couple of years to think about it but I have decided that I will definitely be keeping him home until he is 5 or 6, or even 7 as a minimum, with a view to seeing how he enjoys it. What I was wondering is, if I do decide that he would thrive in school and if he wants to then can he just join a school at whatever age after previously being homeschooled? And will he be able to go in a class with others his age?

IF he was 5 and you had him doing 2nd grade- if you put him in Public school, hed be put in K based on Age (thanks G. Bush for the No Child Left Behind! :growlmad:)

Secondly, and this is the part that worries me a bit, do those of you who homeschool find you have to be quite sociable in order to meet other hoomeschoolers and do activities to further learning and play? I haven't got a big group of people I spend time with and I would love for lo to not inherit my shyness/antisocialness/low confidence around new people. Do you have to just get out there?

We dont do things with many other Homeschoolers, i have just been taking them places- they are kids, they know how to play and talk to other kids. DD1 (5)/1st grade is in Girl Scouts, A new homeschool group, and i feel thats enough. She is not suffering in any way. Id worry if your child cant go the playground and talk to other kids or try to play with other kids- then they need "socialization" help. Trust your gut. :hugs:

Tia:flower:

HTH

He would be able to join his peer group as far as I know, There are a lot of home ed kids that are home educated until secondary age then go straight into 1st year of secondary.

I am a totally anti social person lol. I make the effort to send my kids to clubs or classes where I think they stand a good chance of making friends. I also make the effort to let them out to play in our local neighbourhood as I feel the best chance of making friends is to get to know the local kid.s

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but i read recently that children are not usually ready for school at the age they are sent so because of this i have been thinking about educating my lo myself for a few years before letting him go to school. Would that be possible?
How do you go about home educating? Persumably you have to notify someone.

I have a couple questions too those that home school or home educate

* Where/how do you find local home schooling or home educating groups? I just read the local council website and they say they provide support through a educational social worker too ensure the children really are being taught at home, but would they know of local groups also?

* do you doubt your ability too teach at home? I am concerned that I wouldn't be able too teach them everything they need too know?

* are there any issues getting children into mainstream school after being home educated? (I think if I did home educate I would only do it until they were maybe 7/8 years old)

* do these children have too sit the same exams/tests as they would have too in school? and if I did home educate till 16 then what happens about GCSE's ect .... is it advisable too have them sit those?

I am just trying too decide what is best for our family by gathering info at the moment :)

* Where/how do you find local home schooling or home educating groups? I just read the local council website and they say they provide support through a educational social worker too ensure the children really are being taught at home, but would they know of local groups also?

There are lists of local groups here and here and there are also lots of Yahoo area groups which you can find by searching.

* do you doubt your ability too teach at home? I am concerned that I wouldn't be able too teach them everything they need too know?

For me, one of the great advantages of home education is that it promotes a love of learning. Children are like sponges and learn so much when they are free to do so. Home education also offers a great teacher-child ratio and the ability to tailor their education to suit their individual needs. I'm confident in my children's ability to learn and my ability to facilitate that, rather than in my ability to teach. Besides, you manage to teach them everything they need to know when they are babies and toddlers, so home education is just a continuation of that.

* are there any issues getting children into mainstream school after being home educated? (I think if I did home educate I would only do it until they were maybe 7/8 years old)

No, they can join their school year group at any time, it shouldn't be a problem.

* do these children have too sit the same exams/tests as they would have too in school? and if I did home educate till 16 then what happens about GCSE's ect .... is it advisable too have them sit those?

SATs are to test the school, not the children, so home educated children do not sit those. You can do GCSEs or A levels at home if you want to, or there are alternative exams/curriculums that are accepted by universities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->