Home schooling

A friend of mine runs a forest school nursery but it's quite far away... It might be closer to my new place actually which would be worth looking into :)

Going back to the OP, can anyone link me to the changes that could be implimented please?

home ed is something of a battle in our household, I'm all for it but DH isn't happy with the idea. I'm hoping to gather more info for him to have a look at as some of my reasons for wanting to home ed, to him seem silly.
We actually tried DS at nursery, a lovely little nursery that were very big on attatchment theory, natural development etc... but DS hated it and refused to go after 2days. This has made more more determined to win DH over

I wonder the same. It would be nice for the child to go to reception class, make friends, see what they think maybe.

Not saying home schooled children don't make friends btw before I get pounced on ;)

Some home edders would actually be happy to send their kids to the first year or two of primary, some do send their kids to nursery. The problem is that once the kids are in the system it's pretty bloody hard to get them out again.

So you have to decide there and then? That's a shame. I thought you could take kids out at any juncture (albeit with lots of approval etc)

You can choose to take them out but LAs and schools often put a great deal of barriers in the way. It can be a total minefield at times - I know of some families that have lost or been threatened with losing their children due to trying to home educate. Also, when a child has been at school for any length of time they often need a period of 'unschooling' or 'deschooling' to get them into the mentality needed for home ed, this often looks like they're doing and learning nothing, so it can lead to problems with an unsympathetic LA etc.

I've come across the same; particularly in this local authority area and one of the neighbouring ones. Someone in OHs immediate family wanted to homeschool their son as he had to change schools 3 times in one year due to bullying (personally I believe schools dealing with bullying is getting worse, not better) and instead of punishing the perpetrators their son was labelled an attention seeker and trouble maker, the LEA kept threatening the family with court and social services getting involved so the parents got extremely scared and put him into yet another school, which he has never settled in xx

I was thinking of homeschooling all 3 of my kids and OH was totally on board, TBH I think he wants it more than me, but this is worrying me now and is making me not want too.

Can they really do this, if home schooling is legal than how is it even possible?

DD1 is in year 3 so is obviously in the system but was out of school for a year and was being home schooled. DD2 is at nursery and due to start school in September, I am just waiting to see if she has been accepted, so I am assuming in the system already. Am I really going to face this many problems, last time was really out of circumstances rather than choice and we only had the one visit for the year, even though they did state it was to become a regular visit i.e every term. TBH this is putting me off the whole idea.

At the end of the day they can threaten with this type of thing; but would be laughed out of court if they tried it. It is only a few LEAs who are that bigheaded anyway xx

P.S. if you join education otherwise the LEA will be running scared-trust me I know from experience.

I wonder the same. It would be nice for the child to go to reception class, make friends, see what they think maybe.

Not saying home schooled children don't make friends btw before I get pounced on ;)

Some home edders would actually be happy to send their kids to the first year or two of primary, some do send their kids to nursery. The problem is that once the kids are in the system it's pretty bloody hard to get them out again.

So you have to decide there and then? That's a shame. I thought you could take kids out at any juncture (albeit with lots of approval etc)

You can choose to take them out but LAs and schools often put a great deal of barriers in the way. It can be a total minefield at times - I know of some families that have lost or been threatened with losing their children due to trying to home educate. Also, when a child has been at school for any length of time they often need a period of 'unschooling' or 'deschooling' to get them into the mentality needed for home ed, this often looks like they're doing and learning nothing, so it can lead to problems with an unsympathetic LA etc.

I've come across the same; particularly in this local authority area and one of the neighbouring ones. Someone in OHs immediate family wanted to homeschool their son as he had to change schools 3 times in one year due to bullying (personally I believe schools dealing with bullying is getting worse, not better) and instead of punishing the perpetrators their son was labelled an attention seeker and trouble maker, the LEA kept threatening the family with court and social services getting involved so the parents got extremely scared and put him into yet another school, which he has never settled in xx

I was thinking of homeschooling all 3 of my kids and OH was totally on board, TBH I think he wants it more than me, but this is worrying me now and is making me not want too.

Can they really do this, if home schooling is legal than how is it even possible?

DD1 is in year 3 so is obviously in the system but was out of school for a year and was being home schooled. DD2 is at nursery and due to start school in September, I am just waiting to see if she has been accepted, so I am assuming in the system already. Am I really going to face this many problems, last time was really out of circumstances rather than choice and we only had the one visit for the year, even though they did state it was to become a regular visit i.e every term. TBH this is putting me off the whole idea.

Thats why its important to KNOW THE LAWS!!!! Childrens Services are NOT above the law. If the LAW says you can homeschool and you show a worker that comes to your door the law and proof you are homeschooling, there is NOTHING they can do! Also why HSLDA is IMPORTANT!!! Their JOB is to PROTECT the rights of homeschoolers!!

and i bolded and underlined because this VITAL info to know!

Thanks, it just worried me the bit about ' I know of some families that have lost or been threatened with losing their children' which suggests that it has already happened to some families. :flower:

Thanks, it just worried me the bit about ' I know of some families that have lost or been threatened with losing their children' which suggests that it has already happened to some families. :flower:

it is possible those families didnt register with the school district, maybe at all or they didnt get a letter or they forgot to do something. Its possible there were other factors other than homeschooling.

I actually have a laminated copy of the Ohio law and thats why i keep all my documents and DDs work. I dont even have to register yet, but id have no issue telling a worker if they came tomorrow that.
There is educational neglect. A Judge, Guardian At Liteum, a Caseworker, and A Supervisor would all have to agree its educational neglect and take the child.

Oh and as far as the HSLDA, if i attend the Midwest Homeschool Convention, i get 1 free year with buying a ticket, so for 1 year IF i ever ran into any childrens services/legal issues, they would help me. Theyd send me information, get in touch with a lawyer, whatever i would need. Thankfully I have never had to use them, but they are well worth it. They also offer scholarships if you cant afford the price.

I would also URGE anyone who is THINKING of homeschooling to simply attend a Homeschool meeting locally or attend a convention. A meeting is good if you want to know your states laws and local families in your area, but a convention is good because there are speakers and you can get a hands on idea of curriculums and the ins and outs of it all. I attended my first last year and we will be going again this year. I just felt like it was well worth the money.

Speaking also of Scholarships. i had no idea there were any for homeschoolers but there are! You can get a curriculum grant and scholarships for different things. Its not as broad as a college scholarship, theres only a few organizations that offer it, but it does help.

The Scottish curriculum is quite different to the English one then, in some of the local primary schools here they are working a year or so behind as a class so they don't make the less able children feel flustered, my friend is from Finland and her kids attend that school-she used to home educate in Finland but is unable to here xx

Very sad. We work to the child's ability whatever that may be.

It is vital that if you choose to withdraw your children from school that you find out the exact process you need to follow. If you follow it to the letter they don't have a leg to stand on, but you really do need to educate yourself. It's also vital to realise that there are different laws and procedures for England and Scotland (not sure about Wales or NI), the people that I know of were in Scotland but were following the advice for England, and that is where they got into difficulty.

The Scottish curriculum is quite different to the English one then, in some of the local primary schools here they are working a year or so behind as a class so they don't make the less able children feel flustered, my friend is from Finland and her kids attend that school-she used to home educate in Finland but is unable to here xx

Nope, we are in England and I know my old schools and my childrens schools all work the same way as above.

I would strongly suggest getting in touch with your local home ed organisation (Education Otherwise in England or Schoolhouse in Scotland) as they can keep you right. Don't let what I've said put you off home ed, as long as you know the laws and guidance you'll be fine - there are a lot of people that have successfully withdrawn their kids from school.

Nope, we are in England and I know my old schools and my childrens schools all work the same way as above.

The schools in East London/bordering areas of Essex most certainly don't and since that is where I live; those are the schools my children would have the option of attending. Many of the schools here the majority of children have english as a second (or third) language and also there are mainstream primaries where the majority of the children have special educational needs; the teachers can only spread themselves so thinly. I have heard the same recently about schools in Manchester and Birmingham as well and in my old school the streaming was very limited-I was top of the class in everything in primary school but stifled in the secondary system. Also my son has been doing Geography since year one, but it isn't part of the English curriculum until Key stage 2 (year 3 upwards)-so are you telling me if a reception or year one or two child wanted to do Geography or history a teacher would pull out the books for an older child and say they can do it while the rest of the class does something else completely different? In most schools it simply wouldn't work that way. Also my boys do other subjects that are not part of the national curriculum including an Arabic course originally designed for uni students; this would not be taught in a mainstream school or even in most Islamic private schools xx

The schools in East London/bordering areas of Essex most certainly don't and since that is where I live; those are the schools my children would have the option of attending. Many of the schools here the majority of children have english as a second (or third) language and also there are mainstream primaries where the majority of the children have special educational needs; the teachers can only spread themselves so thinly. I have heard the same recently about schools in Manchester and Birmingham as well and in my old school the streaming was very limited-I was top of the class in everything in primary school but stifled in the secondary system. Also my son has been doing Geography since year one, but it isn't part of the English curriculum until Key stage 2 (year 3 upwards)-

Absolutely outrageous. Is it the same with History too? Again, not the same up here at all.

You choose here either History or Geography so you dont get any lessons in one at all. I choose geography.

The schools in East London/bordering areas of Essex most certainly don't and since that is where I live; those are the schools my children would have the option of attending. Many of the schools here the majority of children have english as a second (or third) language and also there are mainstream primaries where the majority of the children have special educational needs; the teachers can only spread themselves so thinly. I have heard the same recently about schools in Manchester and Birmingham as well and in my old school the streaming was very limited-I was top of the class in everything in primary school but stifled in the secondary system. Also my son has been doing Geography since year one, but it isn't part of the English curriculum until Key stage 2 (year 3 upwards)-

Absolutely outrageous. Is it the same with History too? Again, not the same up here at all.

Yes same with history also, they were only covered from KS2 onward in England and Wales until very recently-I have just found out today this has now been changed, in new guidelines issued in November but there are still no national curriculum based workbooks for either Geography or History at KS1 xx

Mine have been doing geography. my daughter does geography and history and shes in year 1. How odd. I know my old school was the exact same too. Its fair enough if your child wants to learn another language that's not on the curriculum but they could do it out of school time like my kids do. If they enjoy it then they wouldn't mind.

Honestly, the description here sounds like all us that send kids to school are sending them to some kind of down-ridden childcare and just leave them there to lose their brain cells. Its not true!!

I think it may fit children if it is done the right way. It is not allowed in germany by the way, because the government is afraid of improper indoctrination, concerning history or science .
I have heard some examples on this board which sound really sweet, like if you aren't hellbend to just do one thing but have an open schedule with the local schools and the kids flourish.

Yes same with history also, they were only covered from KS2 onward in England and Wales until very recently-I have just found out today this has now been changed, in new guidelines issued in November but there are still no national curriculum based workbooks for either Geography or History at KS1 xx

I was quite shocked as I trained in England but that was many moons ago and I know that it was covered then. I think you would struggle to find any workbooks for History/ Geography up here too but that is just because it is not taught that way.

The whole Curriculum For Excellence is based on 4 capacities (Successful Learners, Confident individuals, Responsible Citizens, Effective Contributors) and the Learning Experiences and Outcomes all have these capacities as their basis. Active learning, outdoor learning and collaborative working are a key part of teaching and learning.

Learning outcomes for Early stages Social Studies are things like,
-I am aware that different types of evidence can help me to find out about the past.
-I have explored how people lived in the past and have used imaginative play to show how their lives were different from my own and the people around me.

This means that individual schools chose their actual areas of study within each subject. There is not a national rule that Mary Queen of Scots is taught in P6 for example.

I am also often surprised what and what isnt in the curriculum in England. I think Germany has a much more comprehensive curriculum.

those who complete endorse mainstream schooling;

do you think that the topics covered on the national curriculum are the best subjects to prepare for life?

Do you believe that the subjects taught are interesting for the children and teach the right things?

Is there anything you would change about what we learn in schools or the way we learn it? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->