Homebirthers - are you packing a full hospital bag?

Farie

Reaction score
As above really - are you guys packing a full bag, or having a 'standby' bag packed and a list of the extras that need to be added before a transfer if ones needed?

I was thinking it was a bit pointless packing everything up only to have to unpack it in my own sitting room once Boo's born and I need it!!

I was thinking of putting Boo's 'nappy/pram bag' together which will have everything she would need and a list of any extras with it. And do the same for myself. A small overnight style bag and a list of extras.

What are you lovely ladies doing?

Im packing an overnight bag for me and a changing bag for baby so even if i dont need transfering il still have babys changing back mostly packed for the first time we go out.

My midwife told me to pack a bag as though I was going in. I have packed everything I would need if I was going to hospital, plus a list on top of extra things which will need to go in at the last minute (as I'll be using them at home). Baby's bag is packed as well, but it's her changing bag so it's just stocked up like Lozzy said, for her first trip out.

The way I saw it was if I went into labour - or needed monitoring or anything before 37 weeks I'd want it packed already. Plus, if we need to transfer mid labour, or even afterwards, I'd want something I can quickly grab without having to worry about what I needed.

However, I have pretty much packed the kitchen sink because I'm that type of person. If you are more a fly by the seat of your pants kind of girl then some pj's, a change of clothes, some mat pads, and some underwear with a small toiletries bag, along with a couple of nappies and a couple of changes of baby's clothes will do you until someone can bring you anything else you find you might need.

I had a very limited bag packed with a pack of pads, a baby outfit (vest, baby grow ect), a nightie and a few toiletries. I was in for 4 days and just got visitors and OH to fetch the other stuff that I needed, which had a nice side effect of extra pressies.

I packed a bag because I was warned about staffing shortages for home births in my area and it made sense to have everything handy in one place anyway. It was mainly stuff I might want for labour and birth with very limited things for me and baby afterwards, as if I had to have a hospital birth then I would be out of there asap afterwards anyway or if I had to stay in hospital then hubby could bring more supplies.

I packed a full bag just in case I needed to transfer and it was a good thing I did as I ended up going in for an emergency c-section and the ambulance was at our front door in time it took DH to fetch the bag from upstairs!

Oh just thought I'd add that the midwife was very pleased that I had everything all together in one bag. It was also easy to move around the house, as I'd planned to give birth upstairs but ended up downstairs in the sitting room.

i packed a full hospital bag when i was 30 week pregnant. was handy as got to rushed to hospital at 33wk (nothing serious) but also ment didnt have to search house for bits i needed x

I would probably pack a full bag, although would probably leave the things out I didn't use at all last time. If the need to transfer arises, it's probably going to be the middle or the end of the labour and won't be able to get around and get the things I might not have packed and I wouldn't want OH leaving my side to try and find things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->