• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

homebirths refused due to staffing issues

i was offered a home birth at 8 weeks i havn't totally decided yet but there are 4 community midwives on call for home births at all times our area is in the topn 3 areas for maternity care in the country so im lucky. it all happened because they totally changed the way maternity services were used our nearest hospital is now entirely midwife led care and consultnt care is at the next hospital we have a midwife centre and there are drs on call if necessary. it was terrible here untill they switched it all round now its working great x
its awful that there just arent enough staff for home birth where you are but i totally agree as someone said if you ring and say yr in labour and not moving from yr house they will send someone they are in serious trouble if they don't x

if you stomp your feet and refuse to move it doesnt mean that you will instantly get a midwife, my friend tried that and she got sent a midwife followed by an ambulance because the midwife couldnt stay due to the hosp being busy.

i was offered a home birth at 8 weeks i havn't totally decided yet but there are 4 community midwives on call for home births at all times our area is in the topn 3 areas for maternity care in the country so im lucky. it all happened because they totally changed the way maternity services were used our nearest hospital is now entirely midwife led care and consultnt care is at the next hospital we have a midwife centre and there are drs on call if necessary. it was terrible here untill they switched it all round now its working great x
its awful that there just arent enough staff for home birth where you are but i totally agree as someone said if you ring and say yr in labour and not moving from yr house they will send someone they are in serious trouble if they don't x

if you stomp your feet and refuse to move it doesnt mean that you will instantly get a midwife, my friend tried that and she got sent a midwife followed by an ambulance because the midwife couldnt stay due to the hosp being busy.

But legally can the midwife leave you if you refuse the ambulance??? Here in Canada midwives have to stay with you regardless of where you are until baby is born. They can call an ambulance to transport you BUT if you refuse they are obliged to stay put.

But legally can the midwife leave you if you refuse the ambulance??? Here in Canada midwives have to stay with you regardless of where you are until baby is born. They can call an ambulance to transport you BUT if you refuse they are obliged to stay put.

from what i gather the ambulance crew will deliver the baby and then take you in to be checked over :wacko:

The legal situation has changed since my last baby where it was a given that a midwife had to attend. The good thing is though is that when it comes to the crunch the trust would have to show that IT made reasonable attempt to provide adequate staffing where notice was given that a woman intended to labour and birth at home. If you have someone who can make it clear on the phone that there has been reasonable notice given and a midwife is expected to attend AND that you will not accept a paramedic as they are not trained birth professionals nor will you transfer in an ambulance, you are very unlikely not to be attended. There's an interesting page on staffing on the homebirth resource website I've linked below (see bottom of page as to what the advice is if your trust uses these tactics). This situation makes me very sad, it really shouldn't be like this, I know I was delighted to see that my trust had made changes to stop this kind of carry on but it's so sad to see these tactics still being used against women. I really hope you get your homebirth without the last minute fight :hug:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/homebirthuk.htm

Gotta love how birth turns into a test to see how truly assertive you really are!

bonkers huh! WELL my midwife came today and baby is so lo she couldnt feel his head so hopefully it wont be long. if im still pregnant next thurs she will come and give me a sweep and send me for monitoring (previous still birth) so fingers xxeds its sooner rather than later

FXd MM! Hoping for a speedy, gentle arrival at home x

When I was on the labour ward for rehydration once they were heaving and women were being left alone for ages because they had a lot of MWs out on homebirths. So I guess in my area they do try and attend them as much as possible. Hope you get yours xx

Its tough but I also understand it from the other side... When you are there working and 5 midwives phone in sick and you only have 3 midwifes to do whatever on call... and no one is going to cover its really hard and sometimes no matter what you want its not safe to attend home births.. if you need 2 at one birth and there are only 3 to cover a service then how is it possible. Unfortunately the health service is at breaking point and I think everyone needs to understand that at the same time...i don't mean this in a bad way as I am hoping for a home birth myself but i guess i just understand how things work and how bad the system is. Yes your birth is important but sometimes you need to consider more than one person.

I hope that when your time comes everything happens as you want it too.

Its tough but I also understand it from the other side... When you are there working and 5 midwives phone in sick and you only have 3 midwifes to do whatever on call... and no one is going to cover its really hard and sometimes no matter what you want its not safe to attend home births.. if you need 2 at one birth and there are only 3 to cover a service then how is it possible. Unfortunately the health service is at breaking point and I think everyone needs to understand that at the same time...i don't mean this in a bad way as I am hoping for a home birth myself but i guess i just understand how things work and how bad the system is. Yes your birth is important but sometimes you need to consider more than one person.

LOL don't you know midwives are not allowed to get sick! :dohh:

i considered other people over my own health for my last delivery and it wont be happening this time around.. this is my last chance.

Haven't read the whole thread
Xx

If they are short on staff them I would go in they wouldn't make it am issue unless they were really short. If a Mw has to go out to a home birth because a woman refuses to come in. Then the ward could be left seriously under staffed as a reasult women qill have to be left longer which puts mothers and babies at risk especially if a women has trouble delivering and mws have tp step in

I know you have your heart set on a Homebirth hun and I'm sorry
X

It's so hard from a personal POV when you know there is understaffing, but although I have sympathy for the midwives on the ward/labour suite I don't think just going in helps them at all. The situation in some areas has changed from being dire to working extremely well in a few short years because the powers that be were forced to make changes. In many areas they will work with as few staff as possible to save money, where actually changing the way that they work would be more cost effective and promote choice in the long term. When necessary, wards will book bank staff to accomodate number of expected births, they will fill out incident forms and things will change because bank staff cost more money and incident forms can't be easily ignored. There are qualifying midwives desperate for jobs right now and no positions available for them, because some trusts are working with skeleton staff. The midwieves are there to fill those gaps, it's up to the trusts to employ them as necessary, not labouring women to toe the line and labour in an understaffed ward which she doesn't feel is the safest place for her. I would always say that we need to have realistic expectations of what the NHS can provide, but in this case it is misallocation, mismanagement and poor use of resources in some areas rather than funding which is the issue.
8 years ago my trust was exactly the same, yet today they have a dedicated homebirth team. The trust that is highlighted on birth choice UK as an example of poor care has changed dramatically with only a few small changes. If women just accept poor care, it continues.

LOL don't you know midwives are not allowed to get sick! :dohh:

Of course they are, as long as it coincides with their annual leave. Them's the rules :lol:

One of the reasons I left the NHS and moved to Canada the system is in such a poor state and failing so many people... its pretty much on the verge of collapse so at the moment appreciate that its still there. Not many countries in the world with free health care...its got to fall at some point.

I don't agree that the NHS is on the verge of collapse. There are some serious overhauls being put in place to maintain the service between now and 2020 and further which if the current govt commits to will help to provide a better service. The issue of birth choice is important within the NHS because there are inequalities due to bad administration in some trusts rather than because the NHS is in a mess. homebirth managed well can be very cost effective and the benefits are evidence based so accepting a lower standard of service is unnecessary imo.

I'm curious about anyone wanting a homebirth because the very thought of it frightens me.

Why is it that you want one?

And if you are worried that you won't have an NHS midwife with you at home, could you hire one yourself privately or even hire a Doula? That way, you would still have a professional with you so you wouldn't be alone, you'd know for certain that you were getting your home birth and if for any reason you did need to transfer to the hospital you would have someone with you who knew when to make that decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->