Homework Rant!!!!!

We might correct the odd spelling if we know and Alex has got over excited or carried away, but we do help and we do allow mistakes to remain so that the teachers have a good idea of what she needs to work on.
Honestly, I couldnt care less about competitions or who does what, as long as the teacher have a good gauge of what Alex needs to work on.
The parents that pretty much do the work for their children arent helping anyone, really.

Dec came home last night and didnt have his usual Monday night Maths test, I was worried that he had mislead it so I spoke to his teacher this morning and I couldnt believe what I was hearing, the 3 primary 4 teachers decided to change the maths test from Monday night homework to Friday class work and the reason being, the parents were doing the tests!!! I actually laughed at him because although parents doing homework really angers me I honestly didnt think they would do the childs maths homework, apparently a lot of the children were getting 40/40 on the test but when they were giving a spot test in school they didnt understand the questions :dohh: This is why I always leave decs first answer, if he gets a maths question wrong I explain it to him let him work it out again but leave his original answer so the teacher can see that he struggled :shrug:

We might correct the odd spelling if we know and Alex has got over excited or carried away, but we do help and we do allow mistakes to remain so that the teachers have a good idea of what she needs to work on.
Honestly, I couldnt care less about competitions or who does what, as long as the teacher have a good gauge of what Alex needs to work on.
The parents that pretty much do the work for their children arent helping anyone, really.

Oh dont get me wrong I couldn't care less about competitions either, but when my son spends alot of time and effort doing his own work then comes home heartbroken, not because he didnt win but because the boy/girl that did win didnt even do the work :nope: As long as Dec is doing well in his class work and every day homework I am happy :flower:

I can understand why you're annoyed sabby, I would be too! Not fair at all. I can't believe parents are doing their maths tests!! How is that helping them?!

I've seen it here too. My son needs help with writing sometimes as he has motor delays and stuff so I help but not do it for him and you can tell what kids have their parents do it for them. What does that teach them? Nothing good!

I do correct K's spelling as we work on it at home and she does it at school. If she spells something wrong, I erase it and she does it again until she gets it right for practice but they have tests every Friday to see how well they are doing. I love seeing her progress as in kindergarten she didn't have anything like that come home.

I always sit with Hannah and help her with her homework. I correct her if she's wrong and we erase and try again. I don't actually do her homework for her though I do hate having to come inside on a nice day to do homework ;). We still do because I know it is important but oh how I detest it :rofl:

Oh dont get me wrong I couldn't care less about competitions either, but when my son spends alot of time and effort doing his own work then comes home heartbroken, not because he didnt win but because the boy/girl that did win didnt even do the work :nope: As long as Dec is doing well in his class work and every day homework I am happy :flower:
Oh yeah totally! I just will never understand why some parents get so carried away. i watched DH yesterday with DD1 and actually had to warn him a litle of "over-helping" ;)

My parents never helped me with my homework, I never realised parents actually did that until I joined parenting forums!

I don't agree with primary school kids getting homework anyway, its too much too young, they should have the time after school to relax and play.

To all those parents who are annoyed at parents doing projects... I'm a teacher and in my school we've brought in completing half term projects and some teachers have given out prizes for 'the best'. We quite often get together at a staff meeting to choose a winner and we always narrow it down to the ones that look like they are made by children first

To all those parents who are annoyed at parents doing projects... I'm a teacher and in my school we've brought in completing half term projects and some teachers have given out prizes for 'the best'. We quite often get together at a staff meeting to choose a winner and we always narrow it down to the ones that look like they are made by children first

Definitely not the case at ours- always goes to the most fancy, elaborate one- where the parents have clearly helped. That, or the kids of teachers, governors or helpers. My kids are never fussed, doesn't really bother them, they're not upset easily, but I'll admit it gets on my nerves.
The same with school plays -it's the same children picked for plays and school assemblies.

So this week my year 1 girl got given her homework book and they will get homework every week as well as the 2 reading books they have to read at home. The instructions inside are for parents to help them and teach them the work. It is a lot of pressure on us as we hardly get time after school (she has other commitments) so I've really had to push her with time. If we leave it for the weekend then we can't go out anywhere as we have day trips planned. I do feel it's too much at this stage as they learning in school all day. However, all the parents have found the instructions so mind boggling because they aren't even clear on what we are meant to teach our children and what activities to do!! Hey ho!

This doesnt happen in our school, in my sons class one child has won 3 competitions and this is the child that has admitted his daddy does it for him :shrug:

^Oh that would make me so mad!

Half the time when J had projects he wouldn't even get them back so I didn't even know how he did on them.

Parents doing the projects completely for their child is just wrong. I will never understand why people want to take that away from their child's learning, to either help them do it, or have them do it themselves. Doing it for them does them absolutely NO favors, and doesn't teach them anything other than their own work wouldn't be good enough, and that they don't need to take time out of playing to do their work because their parent will do it for them. SMH. I would honestly be pretty pissed if our school was awarding projects that were clearly done by parents with no help from the child. OP is correct; its usually blatantly obvious if the child didn't help at all. Honestly, if I were a teacher, I'd probably send a note home to those parents about involving the child in the child's project. That's just me, though. LOL

Weirdly after this thread, something happened tonight. DH had obviously told his Dad that DD1 was due to make a rocket and bring it to school.

Well we were just sent a photo from FIL , of the start of a Pringles can rocket. :grr: wtf is he doing?! I have no intention of even sharing this first project with them, she is doing it herself with any help she needs from us

Yes, the kids have t shit design competitions or cake design and seriously every winner is clearly done by their parents. My kids t shirts have iron on stuff they draw and glitter and random feathers or something weird stuff to them and they others look like something out of vogue (comparatively)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->