Hoping baby comes soon!

Heather M

Me, my DH, 2 girls + bump
Reaction score
I'm currently 40 +5 and I'm planning for a home birth but I'm starting to get anxious as the more overdue I am the more the chances are that I will have to go to the hospital! This is my first pregnancy and at first we were opting for the hospital but as we looked into our options this was the best fit and now I'm quite excited to be able to do this at home! (Hoping for natural birth as much as possible)

I'm wondering for those who are planning home births what you've been told in regards to going overdue or if you've had a home birth how far over you've been?!

p.s. happy to see this forum created! :)

Hi -routinely in my area, they leave you only 10 days overdue before trying to get you to go in for induction. However, other areas wait 14 days routinely so there is definitley some scope for negotiation with your mw -may just require some extra monitorin to check you and bubs are healthy to continue xx

when i asked my midwife about going overdue, she just said "ooh, we dont even need to think about that till 14 days over". I guess it just depends on what the policy is round ur way?

My midwife in the states lets people go over 14 days.

I think it really depends on your doc/midwife..Mine let me go to 40 with twins..They were a hospital natural birth, as no midwives deliver twins here at home...My sis just always goes about ten days over, sure on her dates, it just takes the baby that long to cook!

hey hun... not everyones cup of tea, but i was terrified of going over and not getting my water birth, so following my MW sweep. i had a few DIY versions, which worked a treat and allowed me the labour i had my heart set on!!

My midwife told me today that if i go over by 10 days then i can't have a home birth

I've got my next MW appointment tomorrow so I'm hoping they'll give me the stretch and sweep just to see if it will get things going.
As far as I'm aware, at 10 days over I'll have to do the biophysical profile and decide from there every 24 hours based on how the baby's doing. Will probably hear more tomorrow about courses of action!

I refused induction and admission at 42weeks. I went into spontaneous labour at 42weeks, had the midwife out....but was transferred in as baby had a high heart rate with decelerations. They were slightly more cautious as I was post term but had it been a normal labour I would have delivered at home.

Hope everything goes swimmingly at your appointment today! Let us know how things went.

MW appointment went well today. I actually refused the stretch and sweep (even though they checked my cervix anyways) all today I felt that things were progressing with constant cramping and a different backache than I have had previously.

According to my MW my cervix is fairly high and posterior but thin. I am 3cm dilated and the baby seems to be at 0/-1 station so we're hoping she'll be here in the next couple of days!

If LO isn't here by the end of Thursday I'll have a biophysical profile done on Friday and then if there are no "red flags" my MW said we'd monitor and if everything appeared ideal she'd let me do home birth until 42. If we had any flags arise my DH and I decided we'd be in the hospital anyways!

So all in all I feel good and here's hoping for the best in the next couple of days :)

Just an update! I had a successful homebirth on Thursday! Annaleigh Elizabeth was born at 7:46PM, June 24 weighing 7lbs15oz and measuring 21 inches! I plan to post my birth story when I get a chance! Active labour was 4 hours in total and everything seemed to go too quick!

Yay, fantastic! A huge congratulations, and am so pleased you managed to stay at home! :) xx

Wonderful :happydance::thumbup::flower:

Glad it worked out for you, and huge congratulations - looking forward to the BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->