Horribly sick, is breastmilk safe for baby?

EpdTTC

New Mom!
Reaction score
I have been vomiting and having diarrhea since last night. I mean profusely, maybe the sickest I've ever felt, at least in a long time. It could be food poisoning from some Chinese food I had yesterday afternoon or it could be a bug. Right now I pretty much EP. Despite being so sick I managed to pump this morning because my boobs were about to pop. I struggle with supply issues anyway and am barely keeping up with LO. My question is: is it safe to give that milk to LO or is it more likely to give her my germs if I in fact do have a bug?
Thanks!
Erin

It's definitely best to keep feeding. If it is a bug, you'll be making antibodies that will help LO fight it off. If it's food poisoning, it can't be transferred through your milk.

Hope you're better soon. It's miserable looking after a baby when you're ill. Try cuddling up in bed with your LO and get as much rest as you can.

tacey is right keep feeding your milk is fine

yep. i nursed through the norovirus. was lovely cuddling my LO and she didnt catch it although OH and my mum did ;) coinsidense?! i think not!

Sorry you are feeling ill. As the others ladies said, keep feeding, I had food poisoning a few weeks back and nursed LO through it and she was fine :flower:

Hope that you feel better soon

I've just nursed through a sickness virus. LO decided to have a high temp from her 12month jabs and wanted a 5 hour comfort nursing session at the same time as I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow without needing to be sick. And to make matters worse OH was poorly too and struggled to help me.

It's horrible, but as others have said its fine to keep feeding. My LO hasn't developed the sickness bug and I reckon she must have got a bunch of antibodies from my milk.

i think it even maybe a good thing... as your body produces more hormones to fight tha bad stuff its all passed on to the baby... therefor baby has more protection...
i bf through mastitis which lasted 11 weeks....(it was really bad and was treated by them removing milk by needle and syringe...)

I had the same experience as Blah - our household got hit with the norovirus and I was sure Tobe would catch it. God knows he was exposed enough with my other toddler throwing up all over me whileI was holding Tobe. :sick: And I am absolutely convinced it was the magic of breastmilk and those crazy antibodies that kept him healthy. I got horribly ill, but he didn't.
If I get a cold or illness, I am extra careful to give him extra feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->