Hospital vs home birth?

i NEVER felt the urge to push with emily despite not having drugs so technically i should have felt everything...i felt the pain, believe me i felt the pain, but i NEVER had a pushing urge and never felt her moving out my body, the only way i knew it was over and she was born was the pain stopped!

Funny you should say this because I never felt the urge to push either. It was only when the midwife told me that I needed to start pushing the baby out that that is what I tried to do. I was probably 10cm for an hour before I actually started pushing.

i had 2 urges to push and nothing, so i was freaked out n the mw was stood by the sink across the room sayin well push so i pushed when i didnt need to and that caused more harm then good.

since then i have actualy found out that if this happens u should use that time to rest and the urges to push can come hours later. ur body feels the urge to push when the baby is ready

i NEVER felt the urge to push with emily despite not having drugs so technically i should have felt everything...i felt the pain, believe me i felt the pain, but i NEVER had a pushing urge and never felt her moving out my body, the only way i knew it was over and she was born was the pain stopped!

Funny you should say this because I never felt the urge to push either. It was only when the midwife told me that I needed to start pushing the baby out that that is what I tried to do. I was probably 10cm for an hour before I actually started pushing.

that's wierd it quoted the wrong person in your post as it was me that wrote that!

i never got urge to push with isabel either but put that down to other factors...with emily there was no reason not to feel the urge :confused: she was 9lb 15oz so you'd think i'd have felt the need to get that size baby out and fast! :haha:

Moomin i was the opposite - said i needed to push and they told me not to cos there wasnt a 2nd MW yet. Couldnt help it and ignored her anyway haha

i had 2 urges to push and nothing, so i was freaked out n the mw was stood by the sink across the room sayin well push so i pushed when i didnt need to and that caused more harm then good.

since then i have actualy found out that if this happens u should use that time to rest and the urges to push can come hours later. ur body feels the urge to push when the baby is ready

i've since read this too...i started pushing about 1 or 1.5 hours after i was fully dilated and waters had gone...maybe my body needed more rest than that! didn't get it though...lol

Moomin i was the opposite - said i needed to push and they told me not to cos there wasnt a 2nd MW yet. Couldnt help it and ignored her anyway haha

well at first my calls were ignored till my oh draged her in the room, she then told me i didnt need to push and stop being stupid...i screamed at her she checked me and said oh ur 10cm push then and she walked off.

a second mw was only called in when zane got there before my body was fully stretched so she just cut me to make it easier for her.

it drove me mad when she said no dont push, i couldnt not push for those 2 times lol

i've since read this too...i started pushing about 1 or 1.5 hours after i was fully dilated and waters had gone...maybe my body needed more rest than that! didn't get it though...lol

if it happens again i will definatly listen to my body and push when it tells me to not when some woman says so. altho the mw who wants to be there for my birth says she wants me to listen to my body which is good

pushing is the oddest sensation ever. People compare it to having a poo but its NOTHING like that, its so weird.

Oh just an experience for everyone who thinks they will get imdiate care if needed in a hospital , no country I know of has a full surgical staff pre scrubbed and waiting round the clock for an emergancy c-section, even a crash section takes 30min to prepare /gather the team and prep the womans body for it even with GA rather than an epidural.
for myself when the MW made the choice to ask me to get out of the pool and examined me after 2 hours of pushing with ds1 and we realised his hand was up in front of his face and he was stuck it still took 45 min for them to prepare 1 doctor for me 1 for my son and 2 spare MW's and get all the equipment to do the ventouse for his birth. now technically my son and I were classed as quite an urgent case because of the 2 hours pushing then his heart-rate dropping a bit with each contraction plus id been in labor for 55 hours! but still things took time to prepare.
even if they had the theatre next door and all the staff there waiting there would be delays in getting an emergancy section of at least 10min.but on average for the UK it takes minimum of 30 min to get a crash section 45min+ for a standard emergancy section and some times more than an hour for paitents in the hospital so for those having to transfer from home then all those min of prep happen (if deemed nessacary) while you are on the way not after you arrive at the hospital.

i had my boys in a MW unit attached to a very good birthing unit and NICU because i felt better there than at home but after giving birth twice i know what my body can handle and how i cope with labor and dispite complications with /following both births then im more comfortable with having this baby at home.

i think what the women supporting homebirths are trying to say is to do your research and look at the facts , find out what your doctors "interventions" and "sections" rates are and consider why, do the reading and find out before just opting to listen to all the doctors say becaus like everyone else including MW's they are just humans,
to me handing my birthing experience over to someone who has seen more "complicated and medicalised" births than someone who has been there and seen more "natural " births doesnt sit right I want someone whos familiar with things going the way they are suppsoed to and will encourage that not someone who is always looking for something to "fix" about my birth.

I have not read all of the posts yet so dont know if someone has picked up on this, but it simply isnt true. In a real crash section you need to be in theatre in seven minutes, that is all the time you have to make sure everything will be okay. I have been told this by numerous consultant's, people at SANDS and SANDS befrienders. Someone I know from the decision to crash section to baby being born was four minutes, it literally is that quick in a life or death situation. There are different grades of emergency sections though and I am obviously talking about Grade one where mother or baby's life are in immediate danage, mine was grade two and done within 15 minutes. Not many people live within 15 minutes of their hospital though, plus patient would still need preping etc when they got there even if theatre and everyone else was ready.

Having said the above, a grade one section is not something that occurs very often at all. And as most women who hb birth are low risk, I suspect it is even lower in those particular patients, plus an experience mw would know the signs to get a mumtobe to the hospital before section is needed.

So grade 1 or 2 sections - what are they usually for? Obviously its when baby or mums life is in danger but what makes the difference between an emergency and a crash section?

pushing is the oddest sensation ever. People compare it to having a poo but its NOTHING like that, its so weird.

i no it didnt feel like i needed a poo at all it was really weird. im really nervous this time around to actualy feel the urge to push and then crowning as i wasnt given the chance last time...so that wil be weird feeling like its my first birth when its the second.

The crash team delivered my baby 7.5 minutes after the initial call, I was in theatre within 3 minutes.

No matter how this thread has gone, I have found it very interesting and informative. As a first timer it is great to hear so many different experiences.

So grade 1 or 2 sections - what are they usually for? Obviously its when baby or mums life is in danger but what makes the difference between an emergency and a crash section?

Grade one will usually be a crash section this is when there is an immediate threat to mothers and/or baby's life and so therefore there isnt time for epidural, spinal blocks etc, for instance when there is a placenta abruption or perhaps when baby's heart rate is very low and not recovering, or perhaps pre-eclampsia that is uncontrolable and left may turn into eclampsia

Grade two will be an emergency section, this is when there is concern for baby and/or mother's well being but no immediate threat on either of their lives, this gives times for epidurals, spinal blocks and razors if needed. This could be like with Kaysie Blossom where baby heart rate is having decelarations and not recovering very well, this perhaps means that baby wont be getting enough oxygen.

There are also grade three and four.

I've done a LOT of research into my birth and the only thing I've come across that couldn't be dealt with at home is cord prolapse - the midwife would literally have to sit with her hand up there and stop baby's head coming out until you got to hospital for a section. Im sure theres more but for me, that was the biggest thing, especially when my baby didn't turn till fairly late on (after 30 weeks). However incedibly unlikely in low risk pregnancies!

But I would also be interested in the answer to Blah's question :flower:

Pain meds have a good role in labour. I believe that had I not had pethedine with my son my labour would not have gone half as quickly or easily as it did because when I got to the hospital I was in a blind panic. since I've been learning about hypnobirthing I think it probably had the same effect because I didn't start dilating til after they administered it! I was so relaxed my body wasn't scared and I gave birth easily. The come down was horrible, but I wouldnt change having it. In fact I'd have it again this time but my GP wont allow a prescription for it for me. And as I can't use G&A Ill be doing it on paracetamol alone this time.

Every woman is an individual, with individual needs. My personal feeling is that I can't understand why I would voluntarily put myself through an epi, but the fact is I haven't been to the point where Ive felt I needed one so who am I to judge. Pain meds are there for a reason, and mum being happy and comfortable is just as important as baby. Happy mum, happy baby.

Why is this even an argument anyways no one is ever going to agree, just would be nice for everybody to acknowledge everyone elses views.

I suffered cord prolapse and you're right, the mw did have to have her hand inside to keep baby up there - luckily for me and baby, I only had to be wheeled up the corridor (quickly) x

Grade one will usually be a crash section this is when there is an immediate threat to mothers and/or baby's life and so therefore there isnt time for epidural, spinal blocks etc, for instance when there is a placenta abruption or perhaps when baby's heart rate is very low and not recovering, or perhaps pre-eclampsia that is uncontrolable and left may turn into eclampsia

Grade two will be an emergency section, this is when there is concern for baby and/or mother's well being but no immediate threat on either of their lives, this gives times for epidurals, spinal blocks and razors if needed. This could be like with Kaysie Blossom where baby heart rate is having decelarations and not recovering very well, this perhaps means that baby wont be getting enough oxygen.

Thanks for that :) My friends 3 month old must have been a grade 1 section. Her heart rate dipped and wouldnt go back up and she was born when her mum was fast asleep.

Thanks for that :) My friends 3 month old must have been a grade 1 section. Her heart rate dipped and wouldnt go back up and she was born when her mum was fast asleep.

Yes that would be a grade one. Usually grade ones are under GA because there is no time for an injection in the back then an epi or spinal block. The only time it isnt a crash section and GA used is if someone is allergic or the epi etc doesnt take. But yes heart rate not returning is immediate danger to baby's life.

Linzi can an abruption be dealt with at home? I am guessing not because it is the placenta coming away from the wall of the uterus, possibly starving baby and oxygen and obviously involves a lot of bleeding so a danger for mum too.

Its so sad and a strange sensation when a baby is born to a mum under a GA. I woke up to find this little man in the cot next to me and although I knew that he was mine, I almost felt the need to introduce myself to him as his mummy and get to know him after everyone else in the room had met him iykwim.

Just think, 50-60 years ago, it was common place to be put under GA for any and every birth. Our grandmothers or great-grandmothers experienced this most likely with every birth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->