How accurate is this for growth?

L

Louise N

Does anyone know, how accurate is the bump measurement that they carry out at ante natal appointments for measuring the babys weight?

Thanks.

Which measurement? the one with the tape measure from belly button to top of pelvic bone or are you talking about the measurements at a scan?

I don't personally think too much on the measurements, as in my experience people who have scans that are told are having a big baby have a small one and vice versa. As for the tape measurement I'm not sure, it's all just an idea really, if your worried about anything particular you should just talk to mw or doc, lol or tell ladies on here.

after i had my daughter the consultant said and i qoute " i do not understand why they still use the fundal height method it is in the most inaccurate method of checking whether a baby is the right size or not"

there are these charts that some hospitals use which are much more accurante in telling whether baby is growing correctly but for some reason most dont have them? xx

fundal measurement - with a tape is widely innacurate, it is the old fashioned way of doing things, but if there is any huge differences it will alert the midwife to send you for a growth scan - not sure they calculate weight based on that though

Yes sorry the fundal measurement by tape measure not the scan.

Should it usually correlate with your personal growth chart?

My doctor still does it... but he is a really old man who's probably been delivering babies since our parents were born.

after i had my daughter the consultant said and i qoute " i do not understand why they still use the fundal height method it is in the most inaccurate method of checking whether a baby is the right size or not"

I don't get why they do it if it's so inaccurate :dohh:
Surely they must end up sending more people for growth scans that they don't need, not to mention cause unnecessary worrying.

I had my belly measured for the first time yesterday??? i couldnt understand it. Although the consultant was really good, she was able to tell me baby is head down and everything but im having problems with my bloods :(

I don't get why they do it if it's so inaccurate :dohh:
Surely they must end up sending more people for growth scans that they don't need, not to mention cause unnecessary worrying.

because it can give a very rough indication that things look ok as the mjority of pregnancies past 24 weeks will run smoothly and be ok. i was always behind in my measurements and there was never a mention of a growth scan but my midwife isnt very good though. its also because the government wont put any more money into maternity, they just keep cutting and cutting the budget so its the cheapest way of checking growth. its all about cost with the NHS x

I had my belly measured for the first time yesterday??? i couldnt understand it. Although the consultant was really good, she was able to tell me baby is head down and everything but im having problems with my bloods :(

Mine has been done at only 24 weeks. I'm not sure if it varies depending on area?

I'm telling myself that it was measured too early and that's probably why it doesn't match my growth chart. I have to wait nearly 4 weeks now.

Does anyone know, how accurate is the bump measurement that they carry out at ante natal appointments for measuring the babys weight?

Thanks.

what measurement did they give you for 24 weeks? x

During the measurement she said that my bump was measuring slightly small for my number of weeks but not to worry as i'll most likely catch up over the next few weeks or as long as the next measurements form a curve not to worry as the baby could just be a small one, so I wasn't too worried.

Then when I got home I had a look at the chart in my notes and the mark the MW made is below the 1lb line. I can't help but worry now.

During the measurement she said that my bump was measuring slightly small for my number of weeks but not to worry as i'll most likely catch up over the next few weeks or as long as the next measurements form a curve not to worry as the baby could just be a small one, so I wasn't too worried.

Then when I got home I had a look at the chart in my notes and the mark the MW made is below the 1lb line. I can't help but worry now.

i was measured from the top of the uterus to my lady area :L it measures 28cm whatever that means, but i dont think she wrote it down... i have to have a look in my folder now and see if there is something written i can make sence of. We dont get growth scans here either, just one... not unless there is something wrong God forbid

Does anyone know if that normal or not?

Best of luck, i wouldnt mind a small baby, i was told i was at risk of having a bigger one :S:S:S:S however that fairs out lol

they normally give a measurement like 23cm or 24cm? if you are worried hun phone your midwife that is what she is paid for and you shouldnt feel bad for asking the question. better to put your mind at ease. ask her if she is concerned? if she sounds it push for referak for a scan. also baby could be lead in an odd position, it can depend on your body shapy. a friend of mine was about 3cm behind once and her baby girl is fine and healthy.

i was measured from the top of the uterus to my lady area :L it measures 28cm whatever that means, but i dont think she wrote it down... i have to have a look in my folder now and see if there is something written i can make sence of. We dont get growth scans here either, just one... not unless there is something wrong God forbid

Best of luck, i wouldnt mind a small baby, i was told i was at risk of having a bigger one :S:S:S:S however that fairs out lol

you are meant to be the number of cm's in weeks of pregnancy. so 28cms would be bang on for you judging by your ticker. they only become concerned if you are 2cms out either way x

you are meant to be the number of cm's in weeks of pregnancy. so 28cms would be bang on for you judging by your ticker. they only become concerned if you are 2cms out either way x

Oh thats brill so hahahaha i can relax

what if you had a bigger belly to start with?

Nicola xx

what if you had a bigger belly to start with?

Nicola xx

they measure from the pubic bone up to the top of a uterus. so even if your belly is a little big from before the pregnany they can feel the uterus as it feels quite hard it may take them a few minutes longer. it shouldnt make too much of a difference as the size of the uterus isnt affected by the size of the mother x

Mine was 2cm's below but I was told to wait until i'm 28 weeks for another measurement, where I could catch up. Does that sound about right? or should I push it to be brought forward?

sorry i should of said over 2cms out. sorry my fault. so being 2cms out is with in the accepted limit. have a look at this https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/largeforstageexpert/ maybe you could phone your midwife and ask her to see you in 2 weeks to check again? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->