How (and why) to Strip Wash

Hmm yeah it does sound like build up, although it is normal for wee to smell a bit wee-ish! Is your machine quite new? You might need several rinses per wash if it's quite efficient. Are many of your nappies microfibre? That can be worse at holding onto stink even after stripping. After handwashing recently I had some horrible build up to deal with when we got home from holiday, in the end I had to boil wash them but thankfully it was just stay dry Flip inserts so it was ok. I would probably try the full dose method one more time and do extra rinsing on top of what you think you need, but maybe you'll have to resort to the fairly liquid one or one of the harsher ways.

I don't think it's particularly new - our flat's rented and it came with it. I usually do 2 or 3 rinses after the main wash, despite the fact I can't see bubbles! Most of my nappies are Tuttos, so bamboo I think. Will try stripping again, thanks!

My machine doesn't have a 60 wash only a 50 or 90. Is it better to be safe an go with 50 or will nappies be better on a 90 wash?
Also when looking at dishwasher tablets I found lots had enzymes and bleaching agents in them. Isn't that bad for nappies?? Didn't buy any yet and too worried I'll wreck them further. And I presume everything goes in the wash, covers, inserts and liners?

Don't wash things like PUL or elastic on 90, so you'll have to go with 50.

It will probably invalidate your warranties on nappies if you wash in dishwasher tablets, but so will washing in Persil, Daz, Bold, Fairy... pretty much any 'normal' detergent. Enzymes aren't evil - you should be able to wash nappies in biological detergent - most countries don't even have non-bio. Same with optical brighteners. Things like that do add to wear and tear, but so does washing in anything above 30 degrees, or spinning them on fast, or tumble drying. It's about risk and benefit and only you can judge that. For me, removing detergent build up is important, since not only does it trap bacteria and affect absorbency, bacteria trapped in elastic 'eats' it and can make the elastic go slack.

The only manufacturer I have seen say anything about dishwasher tablets is Tots Bots, who say they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't want something on their skin that had been washed in them. I think that's a ridiculous bit of logic, since we LICK things that have been washed in the dishwasher :D Last time I checked, they didn't say it would affect the nappies, just the skin thing. I haven't checked manufacturer's websites recently though, so you might want to have a look yourself. Most places do caution against vinegar, boiling, washing soda, natural soap, borax etc though, so if they don't include dishwasher tablets I think they'd be okay, since it's a fairly widely used method now.

Anyway, if you think you may have build up, I wouldn't use the dishwasher tablet method anyway. It's the least thorough of the methods, better if you think they might be heading towards a problem, but if you have an existing problem it's probably not enough.

And yes, everything gets stripped. I normally find synthetics get build up worst - fleece is quick to get stinky - so definitely include fleece liners.

Thanks Rachel, think I'll try the full dose method.
I'm willin to do anything to make use cloth work for us. I just don't want anymore leaks or smell. I feel so bad for lo when the. Happens especially if it get on his clothes.
Think I also need to reevaluate what I think of as a good fit. I notice looking at the photos on here that most people have their nappies coming below babya belly button where as I always have it above. Maybe that's one reason I get leaks.

Yes, the fit can be quite different to what you'd expect, and different brands vary too. If the nappy is pulled up too high, it might mean you have the rise on too high a setting on OS nappies, which would also make the leg holes bigger. It'd be worth going down a rise setting and having a lower nappy but a better fit around the legs.

It's about risk and benefit and only you can judge that. For me, removing detergent build up is important, since not only does it trap bacteria and affect absorbency, bacteria trapped in elastic 'eats' it and can make the elastic go slack.

This is really interesting - i've just had my second nappy lose the elastic in the leg! First one was replaced as it happened just a few months after using it (like 6 months or less), and now it's happened again! (I think it's been a year since the last time) (and funnily enough it's the exact same colour - i only have 2 in that colour!).

It's about risk and benefit and only you can judge that. For me, removing detergent build up is important, since not only does it trap bacteria and affect absorbency, bacteria trapped in elastic 'eats' it and can make the elastic go slack.

This is really interesting - i've just had my second nappy lose the elastic in the leg! First one was replaced as it happened just a few months after using it (like 6 months or less), and now it's happened again! (I think it's been a year since the last time) (and funnily enough it's the exact same colour - i only have 2 in that colour!).

It was something said to me by Baba Me. They said that if elastic goes immediately or very quickly after purchase it's a manufacturing issue, if it goes gradually or after a while it's a washing issue.

I'm not sure how much I trust bumGenius advice since their elastic is known to be a bit rubbish, but it still makes sense :)

Some of the nappies I've bought preloved smell quite strongly of washing powder. Is this a sign that they should be stripped or is it just because it's a different brand to what I use that I notice it?

If nappies have been rinsed enough, they shouldn't smell of detergent at all. You do notice it more with a detergent that isn't your usual one, which is why I change detergent every few months so I don't get used to it and stop being able to smell it. I would give them a good thorough strip and try to get rid of the smell if you can - anything left has the potential to cause problems. The detergent I find toughest to shift is Bold - that stuff sticks around for strip wash after strip wash! I assume it's because of the softener which isn't supposed to cause issues as it's clay based (although Bold seemed unwilling or unable to confirm this when I contacted them) but I can't stand the overpowering scent of it so it has to go!

I use the earth choice detergent, I've had no problems so far! Just thought I would share with you ladies! :)

That's what I thought Rachel. Especially with these being newborn nappies, they maybe weren't used long enough for them to start to cause problems with the last owners but they may with me. Thanks.

That's what I thought Rachel. Especially with these being newborn nappies, they maybe weren't used long enough for them to start to cause problems with the last owners but they may with me. Thanks.

Definitely worth a strip then. If the previous owners bought them new, I doubt any build up would have caused permanent damage to elastic so get rid of it now and you should have perfect elastic :) I always like to get rid of previous owner's detergent from preloved stuff like clothes anyway in case LO's skin doesn't agree with it so it's easier to rule things out if there is a problem at any point.

I like to wash preloved things before I use them anyway so they don't smell wrong :)

Well I stripped washed my first batch of nappies yesterday. I used my normal fairy non bio and did about 6 rinses plus a 3 hour soak in the bath. Seems to be good so far. Ds had a bg on for at least 2 hrs and had no leaks and no smell!! Just doing my second load now!
Looking at the fit I think the rise must be set right as any smaller and I have to pull on the nappy to get it to meet up level with the back and then it just pops undone anyway. Still covers his belly button though :)

Just had to say that i laughed so hard at the end of the washing liquid method in the op that my ipad is now covered in tea!!!

I tried this method once before, was over zealous with how much soap i used and felt likei was rinsing for 3 days! Dishwasher tablet all the way ladies!

Just had to say that i laughed so hard at the end of the washing liquid method in the op that my ipad is now covered in tea!!!

I tried this method once before, was over zealous with how much soap i used and felt likei was rinsing for 3 days! Dishwasher tablet all the way ladies!

Yep I would definitely try the other methods before resorting to that one!

Looking at the fit I think the rise must be set right as any smaller and I have to pull on the nappy to get it to meet up level with the back and then it just pops undone anyway. Still covers his belly button though :)

I found the smaller/younger the baby the higher the nappy sits in front. My son's nappy was often up around his belly button in the first few months, but now after a year it sits much lower down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->