How (and why) to Strip Wash

Rachel_C - I have recently created a Facebook group for a small group of friends to talk about cloth bums as apparently mutual friends found it annoying on the main feed :shrug:

The talk has turned to strip washing today and I have tried to link this thread but Facebook won't let me - would you mind if I copy and paste your OP into a document?

Of course not. I'm actually working on my cloth nappy blog at the moment too, so it'll be on there in a few days as well :)

Facebook has BabyandBump.com blocked because of "spam" apparently... LOL... Ive been trying to link a few things but of course it never went though, so i sent a email complaining haha. not that little old me will make a difference but ya.

Wonderful thread. Bookmarking for sure.

My HE washer drains out excess water immediately, so I won't be able to pour water in on top of the diapers. Do you think that the wet towel will be enough?

I think a wet towel would be fine and was recommended to me by bumGenius amongst others, so it must be an ok way for those with US HE machines.

I'd pay the most attention to the rinses before and after though, that's the really important bit.

Thanks so much Rachel! You have taken the time to answer all my questions and I really appreciate it.

Help!

I have striped washed using the dishwasher. Method and full dose method with rince all day and my real easy nappies stink of pee still would soaking them in smart nappy sanitizer help? I am planing on changing to either eco balls or eco eggs to stop this happening

I'm not sure tbh. I normally steer clear of stuff like that but you may as well try! I would probably just do the washing up liquid method if you don't have too many of them.

I stripped mine using the detergent method this week. The water in the machine was running clear but am thinking I didn't do enough rinses as when I used one of the nappies it got quite smelly after an hour or so (when he had done a wee). What should I do now?? Help please!

How many rinses did you do? As a guide, with the full dose of detergent method I think you could quite confidently expect to be doing back to back rinses for a whole day, possibly two! It does depend on when you check the water too, you have to do it when there's been enough agitation to make the water bubble but before it's drained too much away because the bubbles would drain too. I tend to check then when I think it looks clear do another rinse and check that every few minutes - if there are ANY bubbles in that last rinse I keep rinsing.

I think I did about 5 extra rinses. What's the best thing to do now, will I have to redo it?:dohh:

I think you would have to yes, or you could try just washing the ones you've used normally then keep rinsing all of them and see if more bubbles come out.

Well McKenzie is now on antibiotic cream for his blisters/infection on his Willy so back in spoises for a few days so I have put all nappies in bath with washing up liquid I must be crazy but something needed to be done then I think I will buy some eco halls

I think you would have to yes, or you could try just washing the ones you've used normally then keep rinsing all of them and see if more bubbles come out.

Thanks, will give it another go then. Most of my nappies are Tuttos, can I just strip the inserts (would take up less room in the machine so could perhaps get them all done at the same time)?

Thanks, will give it another go then. Most of my nappies are Tuttos, can I just strip the inserts (would take up less room in the machine so could perhaps get them all done at the same time)?

I think I would do them separately - still do the outers but do them quickly just with a dishwasher tablet, then do the inserts all together. I say that because although outers aren't normally absorbent so you don't really need to do them, build up can occur in the elastic which can make it deteriorate over time (that's what bumGenius told me made their elastic go slack so I'd assume it's true for all elastic) and also the outer of Tuttos is minky which could hold some detergent/bacteria too. It wouldn't matter if the outers repelled wee but you don't want them getting smelly.

Ok, my plan is to strip the inserts today and do the outers tomorrow. They're in the wash now. Just wanted to check, for all the rinses, do they need to be warm water? Do I need to do a rinse&spin or can it just be rinses until the final one?

I use cold water to rinse. Every couple of rinses I'd do a spin too, just to get all of the sudsy water out before starting another rinse but most of the time you probably don't need to spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->