How baby friendly is your house?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
I was sat looking around my front room and thinking when i get my LO im going to have to get a play pen. We have an open plan living dining room, seperated with an arch.

We have loads of cd racks and a big book case that once LO starts crawling its going to be hell. Dunno why iv just though if it because when my brother was younger i had to put him in his pushchair with a toy infront of the tv if i had to leave the room for more than 2 seconds.

Any one else thought about it?

Aparently i have the most baby "friendly" house for some one that hasent got kids. My friend laughed and said iv allready got half the stuff ill need. Asked her what she ment by that and its because iv got baby shampoo, baby wipes, nappy rash cream, a bottle,baby cup,bowl and spoon,calpol and a fimbles thinngy-you know the things that play music and the picture moves and loads of kids dvds.

Dident tell her that the dvd's were mine:blush: what can i say i love disney.

I wouldn't worry about it. Caitlyn doesn't bother with our dvds and stuf! Though i did get rid of some coz i was sick of seeing them LOL

i love disney movies too :blush: but my excuse to buy them, if anyone asks, is that i'm building my DVD library for future children. But disney only releases things periodically

Our is very baby friendly,we have a small living room and there is only a tv and a corner suite with in there lol we had to get rid of everything else!

Well I is not too baby friendly as of now , we have stairs so there would need to be some kind of gate as they are quite steep (not very seep but quite steep) and all the child secure covers for plugs etc. and our sideboards are very easy accessible for a small person xD. But part from that it sshould be alright ^^
I am not such a fan of disney movies , but I like lots of comics (starwars and manga) xD

Ours isn't baby friendly at all, I was thinking about it yesterday actually! But then I don't want to totally remove everything which he or she might touch otherwise how will they cope when they aren't at home? So much to think about!

Ours isn't baby friendly at all, I was thinking about it yesterday actually! But then I don't want to totally remove everything which he or she might touch otherwise how will they cope when they aren't at home? So much to think about!

Yer if you remove everything they will never learn to not touch but you dont want them to trash the room when you go for a wee!

i think ours has only become baby friendly with time and i still wouldn't say it's 'baby friendly' but it is maddi friendly, and we have hundreds of dvd's but does really bother with them :)

just buy a playpen.. when i needed a rest from running after them and telling them no i would put them in a playpen.. that gave me time to have a coffee and watch oprah.. you can even move it.. I moved it near the kitchen so while i cooked they could see me :)

my parents never 'baby proofed' our house when we were little, we were just taught not to touch certain things. She was a child minder when i was little so often had lots of little ones about but all orniments, videos etc stayed where they had always been snd we were all taught to just not touch them

We're going to have to look for a new place pretty much as soon as I get a positive pregnancy test!!! Put it this way: we have FOUR keys for our flat. 1 for the front door, 1 for the living room and our bedroom, 1 for the 2nd bedroom and 1 for the toilet, dining room and kitchen!! Our room is too small really to have a baby in as well (I'd want one of the cots that you can put next to the bed as DF and I move a lot in our sleep) and I couldn't imagine hearing baby cry and then having to leave my bedroom, go through the living room, pick up the keys, unlock the living room door, get to 2nd bedroom, unlock the door and only then get to baby! I'd be terrified that it doesn't really take as long as that for something terrible to happen and I'd also be too scared to keep the door to baby's room unlocked as it opens onto a communal corridor!! And then it would be a nightmare when baby could crawl or walk and keeping them off the stairs to the other flats! We'll also definitely have to get a lockable cabinet for OH's decorative swords and daggers and some sort of large safe for our archery equipment! Oh God, and the tables everywhere and we need an alcohol cabinet!! In other words, it's probably among the least baby friendly homes I know of, especially for having a baby live here permanently!! I'm already considering looking for alternative accomodation!!!

Beca :wave:

Our house is really not baby friendly and we already have a near-crawling baby! We have plug socket covers in and drawer/cupboard latches for when we need them but we've far too much stuff for the size of our house so there's loads of stuff that shouldn't be lying around but is. I figure we'll just have to not be too precious about our stuff and make sure it's as safe as it can be at least.

My Mum said to me the other day "You wont have to change much when you have a baby, will you? Having a dane is great practice!". Living with a greatdane, you get used to not having ornaments, turning pot handles round, not leaving knives or food etc on the side, no glasses/mugs on the floor! She's my 9 stone baby! And just as much trouble!

I thought mine was ok but every time my friends LO comes round I realise it's not! Though at least I know now what i need to keep an eye out for!

We'll hopefully be moving soon and the new house is much more baby friendly than where we live at the moment, not least because we're currently in a teeny tiny flat! I'm fairly used to having to puppy/kitten proof things so I'm sure baby proofing will be fairly simple!

We're just about to move and are putting some thought (though not too much just yet :D) into making the new place baby friendly. The biggest change we're making is replacing the carpets with laminate, because it'll be more hygenic for baby to crawl around on one day. But there'll have to be more changes when the time comes, e.g. a stair gate and securing wardrobes and shelves.
But I think the point is that when baby comes you have quite a bit of time before the place needs to be baby-proof. Requirements also change, baby-proof isn't toddler-proof isn't-child proof...

I don't think ours is... but i'll probably only make the house safer for babies when we TTC or only once i get a BFP.

Well, I'm gonna have to put LO in our room, next to me, and the lounge has an open piece of furniture with the tv on so I'll have to get cute boxes to fit in the slots and avoid baby getting to the things... I guess the books will have a space in our room once LO arrives and the balcony door will have to get a safety limit so LO can't walk out, although it already has a net around to avoid the cats jumping off... Oh dear...

Our house is somewhat baby friendly. Definately a little work to do. I've recently rearranged the cupboards in the hallway and put "baby-safe" items on the bottom shelves like extra bath towels & sheet sets on the bottom, and putting breakables or other more dangerous items up high on the shelves out of reach. I kinda wonder why I did this though, because they do have those childproof lock thingys you can put on there, but I figured I'd rearrange it "just in case."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->