How bad is the 3 hour glucose test really?

HappiestMom

Spcl Nds Girl + twn boys + girl
Reaction score
I failed the 1 hour by 7 points...so have to go in tomorrow morning for the 3 hour...just wondering how bad it really is? is it just boring more than anything?:shrug: also Im 27 weeks with twins...

I didnt feel bad doing it. However that afternoon and the day after i felt like i had been hit by a bus.

Try and rest after it! It is boring i took a book with me but i did end up people watching most of the time 😊

Good luck x

haha yeah I will be taking a book and who knows what else lol...

I brought my tablet with me and it kept me entertained since they had WiFi. I really hated waiting though. Good thing is that it helped get over my fear of my blood being drawn. I had it done 5 times, so my inner elbows look like I am a junkie but are slowly healing.

Don't know about 3 hour did a 2 hour I felt sick but I had to fast from midnight and was full of water ready for scan x

The fasting gor the one hour id what killed me, felt so.horrid after it. Id bring a sugary drink and a.snack for after the three hours, so you.dont reach that point!

Try to hydrate before also, since you can't drink water during the wait.

I hated it! Fasting and not drinking at all was hard. I has dizzy and nauseous, very nauseous. Being pokes so many times sucks, and waiting for that long sucks too. But I felt fine by the third hour, and even better after I had a ton of water after I was done.

And I passed, even though I failed 1 hour test by 23 point.

Mac, they told me not to drink starting at midnight for some reason :-(

I think Im allowed to drink during mine..just water of course..I could during the 1 hour

Usually they prohibit it during a 3 hour test, because water can lower your sugar. But you should just ask your lab.

It wasn't bad...I did mine this past Saturday...played some games on phone...brought my crochet... They take blood right away...then you drink the drink and have blood drawn 3 more times. I got news I passed mine today.

I just don't understand why in the 1hr test you have 50 grams of glucose and the 3hr you have 100 grams!! So to me shouldn't the 1 hour test be 1 1/2 hours instead??

yeah who knows how they design these things...prolly just to make us fail so they can call us back for another and charge us again haha

I didn't find it that bad. Mostly boring. Dress comfortably and definitely take stuff to do!

I would ask about the water. I was allowed to sip water during mine.

I was only a little nauseous during the first 15 minutes after the drink, but was otherwise fine (except really hungry!). I felt fine the rest of the day after I got something to eat, but also, everyone is different with how they feel!

I didn't think it was AWFUL but def. not pleasant. I had a hard time the first hour and a half or so. Drinking all that sugar on an empty stomach really upset my stomach and I was having a hard time keeping it down (I just knew I didn't have to have to re-do it!). Other than that it was mostly just really boring. (My arm did get a little sore on the last stick, though).

I have to take one again next Friday (previous experience was with first pregnancy). And will be brining my tablet this time to help pass the time...last time I just had a book and got pretty bored.

I am so glad my OB ordered the 2 hour test initially. Apparently there is less chance of failing this so less chance of having to do a repeat test. I passed, yay!

I had to fast but was allowed water even during the test. In fact the lab take made me drink some at one point because my viens weren't great since I was a bit dehydrated.

Unfortunatly though my IBS has flared up a bit since the test, so glad I don't have to do another one!

It was boring and I did feel like puking a few times. It wasn't too bad, though, and actually kind of nice to get some time to read and have quiet time to myself. :)

The hunger from the fasting was kind of hard on me, tbh. This pregnancy has given me a ravenous appetite and I typically feel the need to eat every hour or so. Once I was finally released, we went to a buffet for lunch, and I was so hungry that I ate until I felt sick - which is not good, or healthy.

But the glucose drink didn't bother me as far as queasiness or dizziness goes (it didn't for the 1 hour either).

Definitely bring something to keep yourself entertained otherwise you will be bored witless. I got sent back out to the waiting area after each blood draw. I took some cross stitching, but mostly ended up playing monopoly with my husband on our tablet which I also used to read my book when at one point he went to find a gas station for a snack.

My lab didn't have a problem with me drinking plain water. I had a big 32 oz plastic to-go cup full of water that I used to try and keep hunger pangs at bay.

Mine really wasn't bad at all (I had the 2 hr)

Couldn't remember what time to fast from so didn't eat or drink from 6pm the night before.

My mum went with me, by the time I'd had the first bloods done and had the drink (lime flavoured!) we went to the canteen so mum could grab some toast and a brew, had a natter then wandered back to the waiting room and watched a bit of tv (the baby channel they have in the waiting rooms) and it was done!

The worst thing was having bloods done, but that's cause I bruise easy and look like a junky now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->