how can i prepare for a preemie?

Here is a picture of my little guy in the NICU, this was before they started clothing him. He still has the IV in his foot. They had uncovered him to wipe him down/bathe him for the day, this was the first time I got to see him awake and alert. Also note he was in weird, smaller than preemie diapers. No brand/label or anything. I'm not sure if it was because preemies were too big, or if these were special to let the billi lights through, because he was in pampers preemies after that.

20130331205454%25283%2529.jpg

Here he is with clothes and still hooked up to the montitors, these were preemie clothes:

IMG_20130404_213442_644.jpg
00005%25281%2529.jpg

00007%25281%2529.jpg
00010%25281%2529.jpg

You can see the pump on wheels there in those last two. And check out that face he pulled in the first one! Such a silly boy. I am pretty sure those were all preemie sized clothes in those pictures. Being in the NICU is not always terrifying, we had lots of sweet cuddles and stuff. Especially as he was older and didn't have to have help breathing or an IV for long.

Oh and for the record, preemie and newborn diapers are identical in size, one is just thinner.

Lovely photos I bet its so nice when they do start being more alert & can interact with you more thankyou for sharing :flower: & info on the nappies didnt know that xx

Sethsmummy - he went through a lot bless him & how terrifying for you! So glad to hear he has had no problems since.

Your pictures have made me feel so emotional just mentally preparing for the fact that my bubba might need the same :cry: but thankyou to you & everyone for helping me to know what might be ahead xx

Lovely photos I bet its so nice when they do start being more alert & can interact with you more thankyou for sharing :flower: & info on the nappies didnt know that xx

Well, there are smaller ones, I mean the Pampers Preemie Swaddlers are the same size as the Pampers Swaddlers Newborn, but they do make smaller diapers...but for a 34+ week preemie you probably won't need those.

Hi luvmybubx

You've already been given loads of advice so not much more I can add. My ds was born unexpectedly at 33+6 and was in SCBU for 11 days. They were the longest days of my life.

We had to supply nappies and cotton wool for bum wiping- we bought the micro nappies from pampers. The tesco ones were not as soft in my opinion.
My ds was dressed even with tubes. we got multipack sleep suits and vests for an early baby (up to 5lbs) from boots but think it's a common size stocked in most places.

My hospital lent us a pump to take home and I used the pumping room/equipment whilst on SCBU and they had a Milton tank steriliser set up there with my name on but you'll need one set up at home too. You should get a cool bag to transport your milk to the hospital in.

A good hand cream is a must- with all the hand washing your skin will be screaming out for moisture!

Days in SCBU can be long and tiring even though you're not necessarily doing much so take snacks and your own stuff to put in the kitchen if they have one.

Best wishes :flower:

It depends, they put our clothes in a laundry bag for us to take home, not to hospital laundry. We did lose a hat though.

Oh yeah same here, but things do go missing easy

A good hand cream is a must- with all the hand washing your skin will be screaming out for moisture!

Days in SCBU can be long and tiring even though you're not necessarily doing much so take snacks and your own stuff to put in the kitchen if they have one.

Best wishes :flower:

oh man the hand cream is a must! day three my hands were a mess! nivea is great. oh and a little bottle of anti bac for you personally. in PICU it was at the door to the room so i had to go to the door every time i wanted to do it.

if you have a kindle or something take it. or get the app on your phone if you can.. you can have your phone on aoroplane mode so you can still take photos etc.

I realise i forgot to put the full picture in so iv spoilered it below for you with a little more info. Im glad i coudl help in some way hun.. but try not to worry.. its highly likely the most your baby would need would be cpap :hugs: They may do the nasal canula to start with if baby comes earlier than later until they see how babies sats are.

https://i60.tinypic.com/2uy5f9v.jpg

the machine on the top left is the main one that is usually always on but not with as many things on the screen (usually bp/heart rate/respitory rate/oxygen saturation). The monitor under that is the ventilator screen. The little bit above the cot is the cot heater so they can set it to be a certain temperature and also has a spotlight thing in it for during the night instead of having the main lights on and a billi light in it incase your baby needs phototherapy. Underneath the cot is two little drawers for babies clothes (where i was the cot always moved with the baby so you didnt loose anything). To the right of the cot is where any infusions are hung, so for example my little guy had a morphine one going and one for his blood pressure along with 1 or 2 more when he first arrived in PICU. ITs also where your babies feed will be hung if they need tube fed. When on CPAP or High Flow theres another little machine that keeps the tubes humidified so that babies airways dont get dried out (and in the case of cpap lets them know if theres a proper seal on the mask). then there is their computr system... but i dont know whether your hospital would have the same set up. in this one everything in the nicu/picu/hdu is done on a computer so information can move rooms as quickly and efficiently as possible.

xxxxxx

Having scan for Doppler's & meeting consultant today I'm really hoping he will give me my inducing date I'm so nervous! Xx

Thankyou he's happy to wait another week to see how much bigger baby has got on growth scan.

Happy & frustrated all at once!

That sounds like really good news. Even though I'm sure it's fustrating every day/ week they can wait is a good thing. There is a huge difference between 34 weeks and 36 weeks in terms of the help your baby will need and the time he'll spend in hospital.

That's fantastic hun. I Hve everything crossed baby has grown enough to stay inside. Xxx

My daughter was born at 34+2 after my waters broke and her heart rate was unstable, I was given the 1st steroid injection but then induced so she was born way before the 2nd was due. She didn't go to nicu or sub she stayed on the ward with me in her little incubator as she only needed light therapy for jaundice we stayed together and came home after 7 days. My 35 weeker was near enough the same story, they didn't wear clothes much for their first week and then I just bought small baby any folded up sleeves, and newborn nappies fit them both ok. Xxx

I am only going to offer one suggestion since I don't have a lot of time. I would get a "My NICU Family" signature card for the nurses who take care of your baby to sign. You can frame it and put it in their nursery.

Here is just an example of one you could get (or you can make your own):
https://www.everytinything.com/products/my-nicu-family-signature-print

Well a little update had a CTG today which was fine, bump was measured (I know it can be out a bit because of baby's position) but it was only 26cm - same as it was at 30 weeks.

Have growth scan Thursday so will find out if there is some significance in it. Want the next couple of days to hurry up!

Hope the growth scan shows he has grown. I know my fundal height measurment actually got smaller at about 34 weeks with my first pregnancy. It shrank by 4cm! In my case it was just because the baby had dropped lower down and head had engaged. The MW also said its normal to have a bit less fluid by the end and that can effect the measurement. She was 9lbs 5oz at birth, so not a growth problem!

Will be thinking of ii hun. Glad your ctg went well xx

Thankyou, that's interesting Bunny glad your LO was just fine must have been worrying at the time xx

Thankyou, that's interesting Bunny glad your LO was just fine must have been worrying at the time xx

It didnt stress me too much because the MW could tell the baby had dropped and before that she had been high up. The MW did think she might be a little early because she engaged early but I still went 10 days over!

ooo its freaky how accurate midwives can be! Mine said to me on the Thursday at 36 weeks ... oh i dont think youll be waiting much longer... i went into labour on the monday night. bet she didnt think it would be that quick lol x

Well my growth scan today showed he's now over 4lbs so looking like I won't be induced until at least 37 weeks now

Thankyou all so much for preparing me for a preemie though I had started to ready myself for that but I guess I will be lucky.

This little boy has been really messing with my emotions!

I am glad I have at least 3 more weeks to get everything sorted for him.

Thankyou again everyone I hope your LOs are doing well :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->