how can i prepare for a preemie?

LovemyBubx

Mummy, Daddy & Daughter
Reaction score
Hi ladies looking for some advice,

My baby is not growing efficiently I have been told he is very small & I will most likely be induced between 34 & 36 weeks, I know is is a very good gestation & I feel so lucky to have made it this far (this pregnancy has had so many down moments!)

So just want to know what should I make sure I have ready? Anything you wish you had to make things easier/nicer while baby was in hospital? Anything you couldn't live without?

I am planning on breastfeeding so I'm guessing I'll need a pump & storage bottles, would getting premmie nappies & clothes be worth it at this age?
Anything to be ready at home?

Sorry for all the questions!

I am panicking I will be told next week 'ok we are taking him out in 4 days' eeek!

Mine wasn't technically a preemie, but he's still in NICU so I'll try and share. :) You will want some preemie clothes, but probably not at the hospital right away. If they have to place IV's or PICC lines they won't put your clothes on him anyways. I'd recommend bringing some nice blankets, at least at our NICU the blankets feel scratchy and uncomfy. I got some nice A&A blankets for him to be wrapped in. Feels a bit more homey, he looks more cozy, they're able to be both light and warm, etc. A good pump for home (or find a place that does hospital grade rentals) is gonna be essential, as is all the stuff to go with it. (I'm actually up attempting to pump right now. Heh.)

I wouldn't bring much to the hospital for baby, it was hard as hell today packing up the stuff he's not going to use for a while and bring it home without him. :( They will let you put him in clothes later, but you'll probably be home before that happens. If you have a binkie preference, they'll let you bring your own (at least mine did.)

Have meals prepared and stuff... knowing the care times I want to try and get back for, I'm not going to have time to cook. If friends/family ask "what can I do to help!" give them assignments! Now is not the time to be superwoman. Assign someone to clean your kitchen and someone else to make dinner. They really do want to help, and you really will need it!

Try and prepare mentally as much as you can for going home without. It's so so so hard. It feels so wrong.

Oh, and see if they'll give you the steroid shots! I've been doing a TON of research in the last few days (my guy had respiratory distress at 37 weeks) and it looks like steroids given can reduce the chance of distress by a huge percent. I had been going into preterm labor for weeks, and they never offered it to me, and I wish they had!

One thing I'm really wishing I'd done was stock up on milk producing stuff (oatmeal, fenugreek, lactation cookies, whatever) before I got there. I now have to go shopping tomorrow when I'm recovering from surgery to get this stuff, and with pumping I desperately need it. So maybe grab those too? (Or looks like you're in UK, my advice is US centric, maybe domperidone you lucky person you? LOL)

If your hospital doesn't provide diapers, definitely get preemie ones. The newborn ones still have to be folded on my 6lb 7oz little guy, so if yours is teeny he'll definitely need smaller!

Not a lot that you can do, hopefully at 34-36 weeks there will not be a long NICU stay. DS was 33+5 and stayed 18 days, mostly because he was small.

Our NICU put clothes on him pretty early, at that gestation, he just had monitors on his chest and a feeding tube in his nose, so he could wear clothes fine. I bought him preemie clothes, but he'd outgrown them after just 7-10 days of wearing them so I'd just buy maybe a couple, but mostly newborn stuff. He wore newborn for months.

I rented a pump from the hospital because I was not prepared, if you are bringing your supply in fully by pump I'd recommend a hospital grade pump at least until your milk comes in. My hospital supplied the parts and I was free to use a pump while I was still in recovering, and I rented one when I left. You are in the UK though, I know they supply less stuff there so you might want to look into pump rental ahead.

A hands free pumping setup is a must, it's good to pump when you visit your child in the NICU (helps the milk) but you don't want to be sitting around holding a pump! You can buy a bra, or just use hair bands.

I had the steriod shots with DS, he had no trouble breathing at 33+5.

Obviously you know this is happening and will have your bags packed, I didn't...

Thankyou! :)

Yes I'm really dreading having to leave him :( I had the steroids a couple weeks ago so hopefully his breathing will be ok, glad to hear your 33 weeker was breathing well misspriss, that's really shocking that you never got them menelly :(

I'll defiantly look into renting a breast pump hands free is a good idea.

Ive seen a pack of 3 preemie sleepsuits that I might get they aren't too expensive so won't really matter if he's not in them long.

In my bag I'm thinking of just taking a couple of hats, scratch mitts, couple blankets & maybe his little bear to stay with him when I go home?

My NICU won't do the scratch mitts cause the IV is in the hands so often, but if he doesn't need IV's that could work. :) Definitely on the blankies though! Oh, and a sharpie! You'll need to mark everything with his name on the tag, so sharpie to do that.

My NICU won't do the scratch mitts cause the IV is in the hands so often, but if he doesn't need IV's that could work. :) Definitely on the blankies though! Oh, and a sharpie! You'll need to mark everything with his name on the tag, so sharpie to do that.

Ah yes, I think they started putting clothes on him when he got off the IV. He was only on the IV for a few days, because of the amount of magnesium sulfate in his system from me being on it during labor. At 34+ weeks, an IV may not be necessary at all.

My hospital supplied me with a pump so might be worth asking? Also the bottles and all the sterilising things too. Bits for you too as well as baby food books etc anotebook for questions - i always thought of them after nurse doctor had gone

The other girls have given great advice about how to prepare.

Not quite what you were asking but personally I would do some research about inducing for a small baby and ask for a second opinion if I had doubts. Doctors dont always seem to agree on it being the best option.

Shanny notebook is a great idea my mind always goes blank when a doctor asks me for any questions! would also be nice to write down things for record book/memories.

Oh & I've just seen on our hospital website they will loan out breastpumps so that will be great.

Thankyou bunny I will do that

:flower:

All good advice...just want to add that the little sleepers with zippers don't work with all the wires. They need to be the snap kind. I also brought a robe for myself because I pumped next to the isolet. It is also good for doing skin to skin with baby...you can tuck them on your chest and wrap the robe around for warmth.

I wouldn't buy too much preemie clothes, because they normally outgrow it by the time they come home (my 35 weeker and 28 weeker did). We bought 3-5 outfits they wore in the NICU (and unfortunately some of those were lost when they washed them).

I also wouldn't buy preemie diapers unless your baby is very small. Again we used NB diapers once we came home. The NICU supplied diapers while they were there.

I didn't buy a breast pump because I was able to hand express a lot more milk! :lol: I would rent one first if I were you.

Good luck, mama! :hugs:

You might find you aren't in the special care unit (it was SCBU where I was rather than NICU) as my LO was born at 35 weeks (but measuring behind) and just stayed with me on the ward in a special hot cot. We were only in for 5 days and then he came home with me... so make sure you have a Moses basket or bassinet set up in case you're home sooner than you think.

In my hospital the nurses at SCBU were round at the ward with me a lot (they didn't have many babies in the unit at that point so they made me their "project") and they provided me with a lot of knit wear as it's really hard to find for preemie babies and I didn't have any relative who knitted. DS found it hard to keep his temp up so booties, mittens, hats and cardies were a must.

Take extra clothes in your hospital bag - they might let you stay a good few days, esp if it looks like your LO will be going home with you.

Preemie nappies are a must. The Tesco newborn nappies say they start at 4lbs but DS was 4ln 10oz when he was born and I was having to fold things over and all sorts to get them to fit.

Final word of encouragement - I went in on the Thurs and was told was being induced on the Saturday (cue PANIC!) but it went really smoothly and the midwives told me that early inductions are often v fast. I had my gel at 11am, was in the labor suite by 6pm, starting pushing at 9pm and LO was out by eight minutes past screaming his head off!

You might find you aren't in the special care unit (it was SCBU where I was rather than NICU) as my LO was born at 35 weeks (but measuring behind) and just stayed with me on the ward in a special hot cot. We were only in for 5 days and then he came home with me... so make sure you have a Moses basket or bassinet set up in case you're home sooner than you think.

In my hospital the nurses at SCBU were round at the ward with me a lot (they didn't have many babies in the unit at that point so they made me their "project") and they provided me with a lot of knit wear as it's really hard to find for preemie babies and I didn't have any relative who knitted. DS found it hard to keep his temp up so booties, mittens, hats and cardies were a must.

Take extra clothes in your hospital bag - they might let you stay a good few days, esp if it looks like your LO will be going home with you.

Preemie nappies are a must. The Tesco newborn nappies say they start at 4lbs but DS was 4ln 10oz when he was born and I was having to fold things over and all sorts to get them to fit.

Final word of encouragement - I went in on the Thurs and was told was being induced on the Saturday (cue PANIC!) but it went really smoothly and the midwives told me that early inductions are often v fast. I had my gel at 11am, was in the labor suite by 6pm, starting pushing at 9pm and LO was out by eight minutes past screaming his head off!

Thankyou for sharing :flower: I really hope my story will be identical! Love hearing the labour was fast! & he got to stay with you.

I'm just hating all the uncertainty right now :( but thankyou for all the advice xx

hey hun. fx he can stay in till closer to the 36 week mark. my lil guy was born at 36+5 and needed 24 hours in nicu for breathing problems and then a further 2 days in my room with me on the ward for antibiotics and light therapy. Then a 3 week stay in Picu (peadiatric intenive care) from 12 days old.

I've just the same advice mostly as the other ladies. they will probably not put clothes on to start with as baby will most likely be at least a little jaundice so might need some light therapy. if thats the only problem ask if your hospital has a portable billi pad.. my lil one was put on one and brought to my room after 24 hours in nicu. So hats, socks, mits. you could probably take a couple little sleepsuits but make sure they are the popper kind then any wires can be put between the poppers. Even if baby needs an IV sleepsuits CAN be worn if the sleeves are stretchy enough to go over without causing any damage.

the nicu should supply nappies but at least one pack of preemie nappies until you see what size will fit. they may not supply nappies if baby gets back on teh ward with you.. i had to supply my own when on the maternity ward.
Most hospitals will have pumps there for you to use. Take some nipple cream and nipple pads!

Has anyone prepared you for how baby will looks with wires etc? depnding on how baby is doing when they are born they might not have any apart from the normal monitors but its possible they might need help breathing.. if youd like i can post some photos of the different things they might use? I can show you ventilator/cpap/high flow and normal nasal canula.

https://i62.tinypic.com/dwzzbs.jpg <-- this is how my nicu kept babies when first born.

https://i59.tinypic.com/zmebl3.jpg <-- the portable billi pad

https://i59.tinypic.com/34y447n.jpg <-- clothes on even with an IV and monitor leads/central line.

Thankyou sethsmummy you have gorgeous boys :flower: do you mind me asking why he needed to stay in picu? I hope he is doing well now xx

I'm learning more & more that each baby is so different even if born at the same stage, ive been doing a lot of reading etc.

All the equipment does look scary but of course its only to help them.

I'm sure its so emotional when its your own baby.

I should find out Thursday what's going to happen.

Thankyou for your advice :) x

Here is a picture of my little guy in the NICU, this was before they started clothing him. He still has the IV in his foot. They had uncovered him to wipe him down/bathe him for the day, this was the first time I got to see him awake and alert. Also note he was in weird, smaller than preemie diapers. No brand/label or anything. I'm not sure if it was because preemies were too big, or if these were special to let the billi lights through, because he was in pampers preemies after that.

20130331205454%25283%2529.jpg

Here he is with clothes and still hooked up to the montitors, these were preemie clothes:

IMG_20130404_213442_644.jpg
00005%25281%2529.jpg

00007%25281%2529.jpg
00010%25281%2529.jpg

You can see the pump on wheels there in those last two. And check out that face he pulled in the first one! Such a silly boy. I am pretty sure those were all preemie sized clothes in those pictures. Being in the NICU is not always terrifying, we had lots of sweet cuddles and stuff. Especially as he was older and didn't have to have help breathing or an IV for long.

Oh and for the record, preemie and newborn diapers are identical in size, one is just thinner.

I would suggest if you are using preemie sized clothes not to use anything too expensive - some clothing can and does get lost in some hospitals laundry by error.

It depends, they put our clothes in a laundry bag for us to take home, not to hospital laundry. We did lose a hat though.

Thank you hun! He stopped breathing at 12 days old and was found to have RSV and Bronchiolitis which then developed into pneumonia/collapsed lung/ air on the chest cavity and a bacterial infecton on top. he is doing great now, hes such a little chunk :D IVe put some pics in a spoiler for you of each method he had used hun and a pic that shows the room when he was ventilated. thats one thing i wasnt ready for was just how many machines etc there were in there xx

https://i62.tinypic.com/15i297t.jpg ventilated
https://i58.tinypic.com/296dx7l.jpg

https://i61.tinypic.com/2nhizpv.jpg cpap
https://i62.tinypic.com/r8b5sm.jpg

https://i60.tinypic.com/w1y047.jpg high flow
https://i57.tinypic.com/21ad3lt.jpg

https://i60.tinypic.com/a0ffbq.jpg nasal canula

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads